Barclays Private Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 14, 2017

3.5

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barclays (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

After applying for roles for 7 months I finally managed to pass the online assessment in June 2017. I was delighted to hear from an in-house Barclays recruitment consultant to congratulate me on successfully passing the online assessment and if we could arrange a time/date for a telephone interview. The telephone interview went well and I was informed that I'd passed that stage too and that I'd hear within the next 2 weeks when I would be granted the opportunity for a face to face interview. 2 weeks went by and I still had not heard anything until week 3 when I received an email to say that I would not be offered a position in the company and if I wanted feedback then I could contact the resourcing helpdesk. I phoned into the resourcing helpdesk who had informed me that the reason why my application was not progressed was because of a poor online assessment result which they then sent me a copy of. The online assessment they sent me was an old one dated back to February 2017 which means that they based their decision on an old online assessment and not on the most recent one I did in June 2017 which reflected a positive result. I feel like my application was treated unfairly and I was disadvantaged due to my most recent online assessment not taken into full consideration. My questions to Barclays:
    1.) If you based your decision on an old online assessment, why would your resourcing consultant contact me about the roll I applied for to inform me that I passed my assessment and that I could progress to the next level?
    2.) Based on my conversation with said resourcing consultant, I'm certain that I did well in my June 2017 assessment and would like clarity as to why that assessment was not used to make an informed decision.
    3.) Could this have been an error that you accidentally used the incorrect online assessment?

Barclays has always been a dream of mine and I can't express enough how disappointed I am in how my interview process was handled.

Interview Questions

• I didn't make it to the face-to-face interview therefore no interview questions to share. The telephone interview just covered salary expectations, work eligibility and previous work experience   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Barclays.

Interview

3 different phases - first with HR or with the Private Banking Executive manager
    You get to meet almost all the people/team you will work with
    Typical competency questions with HR and typical questions as "Why Barclays?", "Why wealth management?", etc.

Interview Questions

• typical competency questions
      asked about the business (e.g. what are the main competitors)?
      Asked about Barclays Wealth & Investment management - which products do they offer to their clients?
      With the Private Bankers you have the opportunity to talk about the markets which is always a bit more fun (e.g. which companies would you invest in at this moment in time? What do you think will happen to oil prices In the future?)   Answer Question

Private Banking Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barclays (London, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

the interview process took two and a half hours. 2 competency based interviews and 1 written assessment.the questions were around my interpersonal skills, career history , control environment and technical skills.

Interview Questions

• describe a time when you received negative feedback from someone.what was it and how did you respond .   Answer Question

Summer Intern - Private Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Barclays (London, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

Submitted the online application - Did the online tests. Was asked to organise a time for a phone interview. The phone interview was awful - no space for actually talking to the interviewer. They just asked a bunch of questions and said they could repeat the question but it was up to us to interpret it. They gave no indication of how much they wanted to hear and when they had heard enough.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions - just things like "how do you respond to feedback?" With an unrelated question next so no follow up or anything.   Answer Question

Private Banking Executive Interview

Interview

Face to face interview

Private Banking Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Barclays (Dubai (United Arab Emirates)) in December 2012.

Interview

Internal Mobility across locations applied via Business Managers and local PBEs. They referred me to the Bankers in Question who then interviewed me via VC as we were in different locations.

Interview Questions

• About Previous work ex and client interactions... basic knowledge on products etc   Answer Question

Private Banking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Barclays (London, England (UK)) in April 2012.

Interview

Initial application on Internet - fine provided you do your homework, including on the psychometric testing. Then a telephone interview - again fine, with questions such as "why infancial services' why private banking; why Barclays Wealth"? Then onto a face-to-face interview with 2 private bankers asking much the same - trying to get to know you as a candidate, as well as testing out a bit of technical knowledge. The clincher is the Assessment Day, if you get that far. This is a 1/2 day comprising written psychometric tests, 2 x face-to-face interviews, a client role play and the presentation of a business plan. It is hard graft and will contain a mix of technical and competency based questions. All of it was friendly though, and done very professionally. It was all done very efficiently up to this point as well. Hiring decisions are normally made after this phase but in my case I was asked for a further interview and things stalled. I was told that eveything was going well and that this was the final hurdle. I attended the interview, which I thought went well, although I could have done to establish rapport, only to be told that they wanted someone with prior experience - not a satisfactory answer for someone on a programme aimed at people new to the industry.

Private Banker - Embark Programme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barclays in July 2011.

Interview

The Embark Programme is for experienced professionals looking to go into Private Banking. Process included an online application answering some questions and two timed online tests on numerical reasoning and handling of time-sensitive information. Both are fairly easy since you can practice some mock exams in advance so you know what to expect.

Then comes a telephone interview with a member of the HR team mainly to go over your CV and motivations. They keep you updated at least once a week and you can also track your progress online.

This is where things got complicated. You are supposed to get an interview (outside the selection process) with a current Embarkee to give you the opportunity to ask questions and learn all you want about the job and BW. Since we are all experienced and successful professionals looking to change careers, it is not a decision to be taken lightly and both BW and I want to make sure it's the right one. So far so good.

You are then supposed to go for a 1-to-1 interview with a senior banker to look at your career in more detail as well as your motivations to go into private wealth management and so on. If successful, you are expected to attend a half-day assessment.

I was phoned one week before the assessment centre to be told that the interview with the Embarkee would not happen and that I was therefore going straight into the interview with the senior private banker. If successful, I was to prepare a presentation outlining my three-year business plan to build my client book, to be delivered on assessment day.

Most of this wasn't really that unexpected but by robbing me of the chance to speak to the current Embarkee I lost the best opportunity I expected to have to learn about the job, make sure the career change made sense, and gain valuable info to prepare a well-thought business plan. I had been counting on that interview and as a reputable bank, I never expected BW to suddenly change their promise. So I thought: Fine, I can work with what I have and can get, and finalise the plan over the weekend between the 1-to-1 interview and the assessment day, trying to ask as many questions as possible during the 1-to-1 interview.

The 1-to-1 interview was mostly based on my career to date, my motivations to go into private wealth management and changing career, my interest in financial markets, and some competency based questions such as instances where I showed pioneering and self-starting work, etc.. What I definitely did not expect (since they had already asked me to have it ready for assessment day) was that the senior banker asked me for my business plan and of course it wasn't ready. As a result I didn't do well and looked like I hadn't given the career change enough thought.

I don't mind loosing the job for not doing my work or simply because I'm not the right candidate, but I do expect to be given a fair opportunity. This didn't feel like it.

Interview Questions

• What is your business plan to build your client book over the first three years?   1 Answer

Private Banking Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barclays (London, England (UK)) in June 2010.

Interview

Found a vacancy of interest on the firm's career website and applied online. Didn't hear anything, and then about 7 weeks later was phoned to arrange an interview.

Round 1 of the interview involved a meeting with a Business Partner and an AVP, which lasted about an hour. Even mixture of competency based questions about my professional experience, and more general questions about my hobbies, interests and ambitions. The interviewers were very probably the most pleasant I have ever experienced; really felt like they were trying to get to know me rather than trying to catch me out like other firm's like to do. Was phoned later that afternoon to arrange the second stage interview.

Round 2 of the interview was two back-to-back meetings with 4 Private Bankers (2 attended each meetings). More focus on my strengths and weaknesses, as I think the Bankers were assessing which team I would be best suited for if I was offered the position. More focus on my hard skills, such as discussing examples where I have managed a project, prepared or delivered presentations etc...

Was phoned the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me and example of a time when you had a disagreement with someone you knew was in the wrong?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you advocated change?   Answer Question

Private Banking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Barclays (London, England (UK)) in February 2010.

Interview

Fisrt contact was via a headhunter, got an interview within 1 a week, that was successful, was called back within a week for hybrid panel interview 4 people, 2 individual and one double. Had to wait for an additional 2 weeks for a call back. Going in for final round in a week and a bit.