Baringa Partners Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Baringa Partners Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at Baringa Partners

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

after sending my CV by email I was invited to do an Excel assessment test. I was sent an Excel file at a prearranged time and had 45min to complete the questions in it. On the first sheet you had do calculate some averages and convert energy and CO2 prices to different currencies. In the second sheet you had to calculate the price of electricity of a gas or coal power plant and of a windfarm, and had to comment about the difference in the average price of electricity. In the last sheet you had to discount some prices to calculate it's time value. That's all I remember. It is enough to use standard excel functions like averages and weighted averages, and nothing more complicated is needed.

After the successful completion of the excel assessment I was invited to a first round interview with one of their partners and another senior consultant. Beforehand I had a phone conversation with one of their recruiters informing me about starting salary (37.000 GBP) and the interview process in general.

I was not invited to a second round interview since I did not perform well enough in some of the energy market specific questions (see below).

Generally the hiring process seemed transparent and quick. I was a surprised though that they did NOT cover my travel expenses. I took a whole day off at my current job and had to travel from abroad. In only got 90 GBP reimbursed, which was far from what I actually paid to get to the interview. I have been to 8 job interviews up to now, and this was the only time a company refused to pay my travel expenses, which I thought was pretty weird. But it goes in line with what previous posters mentioned, that at Baringa in general cash seems to be tight when in comes to pay raises and reimbursements.

So overall the interview process was fine, and it seems like a nice place to work, with really sympathic people, if you accept the lower salary level compared to similar jobs at other consultancies.

Interview Questions

• How is the price of electricity determined? Which energy source performs at peak / base load and why?   1 Answer
  • How does the energy price react when the wind picks up suddenly?   1 Answer
  • If the energy price changes, how exactly does it change in time? (draw on the board)   1 Answer
  • Where would you place a new wind farm?   1 Answer

Baringa Partners Response

Sep 26, 2014 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for the taking the time to provide feedback on our recruitment process.

We do have a Travel Expense Policy in place that will have been documented on your interview invite.

We have a... More

Other Interview Reviews for Baringa Partners

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview process with Baringa was lengthily but very fair. There was an initial phone/one to one interview depending on my availability. I had a face to face interview which centered around my CV and reasoning for applying to Baringa. Following the first interview I was successful in getting through to the case study round which again was held in the Baringa offices in London. The case study was based on a real-life client situation where I had an hour to read all the materials given to me (copies of emails, financial statement and general information), create a strategy and present it back to the assessors. I felt that I questioned on my strategy in a challenging but non-intimidating manner and the assessors were always encouraging about my responses. Having passed the case study I was invited to a final Partner interview again at the Baringa offices. This was with two Partners, one from Markets and Trading and one from Energy Advisory. Similarly to the first interview I was asked questions based on my CV. There was also an element of scenario testing in the interview where I was asked how I would respond to particular events or situations. The final stage was an online excel based test (exclusively for Energy Advisory) where you have one hour to complete a series of energy based excel problems.

Interview Questions

• What are your motivations for moving from Industry to Consulting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Fast efficient and well structured. Everyone was clear and helpful. The process was managed i na friendly manner. 2 Telephone interview, one face to face, online tests, presentation and case and finally partners interview.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I was referred and invited to an initial 1:1 competency based interview with a manager. We discussed my objectives, the company and how the industry works, as this was a transfer of industry for me. Peer level informal discussions are used by Baringa to give applicants a clear understanding of the nature of the company without the pressure of assessment, but this wasn't necessary for me as my application was a referral from a personal contact. The second stage was a presentation and further competency interview with a senior manager and a partner.

Interview Questions

• Create and deliver a short presentation on the state of regulation in our clients' industry.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

CV, First Round, Case Study, Final Round

The Case Study isn't a standard Case, instead you are given a pack of info/data and have to produce a presentation to consultants who are "on your team in a case"

The whole process is good and they are as helpful as they can be.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The process was supposed to be brief. Instead it took over 7 months. I passed all the 3 stages including partner interview. They were giving me good feedback after each. Then after few months waiting they contacted me they want to have another partner interview when I was on holidays... And after this one they say my skillset doesn't much... Very confusing

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners.

Interview

3 stage experienced hire interview organised efficiently and with considerable flexibility.Interviews held in their London office, but were willing to conduct 1st stage remotely. Strong emphasis on cultural fit. Experience felt personal and detailed feedback was provided by each interviewer after each round.

Analyste Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in February 2019.

Interview

Psychometric test (logic and reasoning questions)
    First interview (motivation and mini-case study questions)
    Assesment Centre (group activities, final interview, informal peer to peer meeting with someone who is doing the job you're applying for )

Interview Questions

• motivation questions and mini case study questions (assess the size of one specific market)   Answer Question