Baringa Partners Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Baringa Partners Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at Baringa Partners

3.3

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Baringa Partners.

Interview

I interviewed at Baringa Partners recently for a consultant position. During the interview process, I was actively engaged with the recruitment team: they would call me a day after each interview stage, providing me with great feedback and thoroughly going through the next stage of the interview process. At each stage, I was given amazing feedback by the team and I was told that the Partners (final stage interview) loved me and felt like I would be a great fit into the team. I was offered a position a couple of days after my final interview, and I accepted the position. I was really looking forward to starting at Baringa and was anxiously awaiting a start date and contract.
This is where things fell flat. After accepting the job offer, I was left hanging for days with no call.....I had to continually chase the recruitment team (who were previously really proactive with contact). A week into still waiting to hear back, I finally got a hold of them. I made it absolutely clear that I needed a start date and contract asap as I was holding off other job offers. I was told that they were trying to iron out a few details with the start date and that they would come back to me. A week later, and I still had not heard back. At this point, I had declined two job offers from Tier 1 firms. After chasing and chasing, the team finally called me and told me that they were no longer hiring and had put this process on hold.
I was at huge disbelief that a company could behave in such a way. I had already accepted the job offer, and had declined other job offers. The recruitment team were fully aware of my position. It is utterly unacceptable to resend a job offer once someone has accepted - this put me in a the worst possible situation because I had to start the job search all over again and has impacted me financially. The fact that Baring strung me along for weeks and took a job away from me after I had accepted is a disgusting way to behave and massively unprofessional.

Other Interview Reviews for Baringa Partners

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

The interview process overall is really friendly, concise and thorough, you get to meet a lot of people in the organisation meaning that if you were unsure beforehand if you will fit in the team, you will have met enough people to get a good idea by the end.

For me the recruitment process went as follows:

1. Message drop on LinkedIn
    2. Informal breakfast with a manager at a place really close to where i was currently working.
    3. First interview with a SM who had a similar background to me. e.g. came from the same company and had a few contacts in common. This interview is all about going through your CV, checking you know the lingo and getting a feel for you as a person.
    4. Case study with two SMs/Directors. I had one SM and one Director, both lovely and from the area of the business i was joining , PPE. The case study consists of around 4 A4 pages of paper with information about a prospective client on it and around 4 questions that you have to answer. You're then given around an hour to come up with responses to the questions (a bit like an RFP). When the two interviewees come in you just have to run them through your thoughts and ways of working. They will challenge you, don't be afraid. Make sure you look at the numbers as they are important, additionally your interviewer may try and trip you up with a trick question, don't be afraid to correct them if they read the data incorrectly. I did this and it was commented on positively in the interview feedback.
    5. Next you have the opportunity for a buddy chat - this is an information chat over a drink of something soft or stronger, where you talk to someone of a similar level to you. I chose to speak to someone who was classed as 'Out of Town', as I knew that I would be leaving London soon, and wanted to check what it was like etc.
    6. Final partner interview, this was with two of the three partners in PPE - lovely informal chat, they ask you about yourself and your experience and what you want, you also have the opportunity to ask any questions you want.
    7. Phone call two days later with a job offer! At this point I negotiated my salary up by 4K, so don't be afraid to do that!

Throughout it all it was a very good recruitment process, I pushed it out as I knew i didn't want to start before Christmas and wasn't in a rush, but from start to finish could take as little as 6 weeks. You're given feedback after each stage and by the end of if could have met around 10 people that you will be working with, a really good way to find out what it will be like working with them day to day.

Interview Questions

• The case study was the hardest - I was asked a question about the data that was incorrect as the director purposely read the graph wrong.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in January 2018.

Interview

Initial F2F interview with the Telco Director - friendly but challenging, mostly based on CV. Invited back in for the second round which was a case study consisting of one hour preparation and one hour presentation. Within this time you also had to send an mock email setting up an initial meeting with the company stakeholders in the case study . The case study consisted of c.10 pages of information that you had to shape into the set up of a project. The presentation was then with two Managers where you had to take them through your approach. They asked questions throughout this and particularly delved into the numbers so focus on that. One of the interviewers yawned consistently through out and looked exceptionally disinterested (probably a good cop/bad cop approach), and at the end of the interview he walked off without so much as a goodbye or a hand shake.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Positive recruitment experience.

DEMANDING interviewer who may not had much experience working with people from outside of the UK. The interviewer concluded that I wasn't good enough in explaining at the time of the interview. However, I have explained previous and current experience maybe useful for the applied role. I have provided examples of work I have done along with my passion in the applied role. However, he wasn't happy. Can only go by that I was not presentable like a typical British English native speaker.

The senior management of the firm should cultivate the the idea of diversity and inclusion promoted by the firm to not be restricted to non-white from the UK however D&I should also cover promoting international work force.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Baringa?
      How different is Baringa to other Big 4?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in February 2019.

Interview

WASTE OF TIME!!!! I applied for the role which took 6 weeks in total. I My first interview stage was competency based in which they asked questions relating to my CV, experience and market knowledge. After each stage of the interview process, you are given feedback that will help you improve the next stay of the process should you reach it. The feedback from my first interview was that I showed a broad knowledge of the subject area, my personality was a fit with the culture and I came across really well - no negative feedback whatsoever. I was invited to the next stage of the interview which was a case study that you had an hour to prepare followed by 1 hour to present your case study to 2 Directors of your subject area. The feedback I got was and I quote "extremely well presented" "Knew the subject area well" etc. The feedback was nothing but positive and once again received NO NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. I was told there was nothing I had to work on for the next stage as so far I had been superb in my first 2 interview rounds. I was also told that i practically had the job but the last stage (partner interview) was just a formality. I had the last stage of the interview with x2 Partners of my subject area. To my shock and surprise, they said that they had got their wires crossed and the feedback from one of my earlier interviews was that I didn't have enough consultancy experience for the role! Even though I was told at every interview stage the feedback was nothing but positive and there were no areas of concern/nothing that I needed to work on. What an utter waste of time! I waited for weeks for them to come back to me at each interview stage, when they cancelled my interview last minute because one of the interviewees was ill, I made myself more then flexible to compensate. Totally baffled by the outcome! You also get a peer-2-peer meet up which is optional. The peer who meet with me was less than complimentary of the firm - go figure!

Interview Questions

• market knowledge questions, questions relating to my CV, consultancy skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in January 2019.

Interview

Was shortlisted for the interview few business days after my online application. To be honest, I didn’t have much idea about Baringa and thought I’d just give the interview a shot as I’m looking to leave my firm.

First interview - met with a manager from the team. Was a very pleasant meeting as he was enthusiastic and shown genuine interest in my CV. That’s when I started to become interested in this company, and did more research.

Second interview - a technical case study; involved one hour of prepping the case and another hour presenting it to a director and manager from the hiring team. Difficult questions were asked on why I presented ideas that way but in a really nice and informal setting. Really like how I was challenged during this stage, although was a little worried that I may not get pass it.

Third interview - with the partner from the team. He asked many questions about my CV and my decisions to why I chose my career path etc, to make sure I’m the right fit for the role. It was a one hour interview that turned into a 1.5hour chat, partner was genuinely nice to spend time answering my questions.

Offer came in the next week with partner calling me to provide the offer, was really shocked but felt really appreciated! Negotiated for the salary and it more than met my expectations!

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

There was a very efficient three stage process, which was completed within three weeks. All the interviewers made a real effort to make me feel at ease and really get to know me as an individual, rather than just grilling me on my experience. They all felt more like conversations rather than interviews. The recruitment team were very personable and kept me informed throughout the process, relaying constructive feedback as well as helping me to prepare for the next stage. Having not worked in a consultancy previously, I was uncertain on whether a bigger organisation would be a safer first move. To help me fully understand what life would be like at Baringa, one of the Senior Managers met me for an informal coffee meeting for over two hours to ensure all my questions had been answered. This not only put me at ease, but also convinced me that Baringa was definitely the right organisation to join. It was certainly the best recruitment experience I have ever experienced.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions with a focus on the softer, more cultural aspects   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

The most personable process I’ve experienced with a clear structure from day one. The team clearly put a lot of effort into supporting you throughout, providing timely and constructive feedback following each stage. There is a real focus on you as well as making sure Bargina and it’s culture would be a good fit for you

I was applying from outside of London and they kindly restructured the process to reduce visits.

The process was broken down into 4 steps over 4 weeks although I had an initial informal chat about the position up front.
    1. Firstly the first telephone interview covering your experience, motivations and again more about the position and the Baringa as a company.
    2. Case study interview in which you're given an hour to digest a pack of information and a further hour to give a short presentation on your recommendations to senior managers followed by a discussion.
    3. Peer-to-peer optional meeting with someone from the relevant business unit.
    4. Final partner interview again on CV based questions and motivations.

Interview Questions

• Why are you choosing to move from industry to consulting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Initial exploratory chat with a manager, then a technical test, an interview with manager + partner, and finally on-site case interviews with partners.
    In general the process was good, the recruitment team did a great job throughout the process. People were friendly, and during the on-site interview I was offered a peer-to-peer interview with someone from my same level.

Interview Questions

• The case study was quite industry-specific, but nothing too difficult. It's a lot to read so take care of the time!   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners.

Interview

The process from start to finish was really efficient. I found HR quick in their response and truly accommodating when it came to meeting the time constraints I was under. I found the interview process very thorough, where cultural fit, experience and also motivation for joining, were important in equal measure. For me, I found everyone I met extremely friendly – making the process not only personal but also enjoyable.

First Interview - with a Director
    This was a mixture of a run through of my CV - with an onus on understanding my choices to date. It also went into some depth on my most recent, relevant experience and really exploring how I personally contributed in each of those tasks/examples/challenges.
    Second Interview - Case Study with two Senior Consultants
    A two hour session - I was given the material ( a meaty document with tables/data, opinions of stakeholders, general company information) and had 1 hour preparation to answer some key questions about the business - in advance of a key workshop coming up with the client. The interviewers asked for reasons behind my decisions and thinking, challenging some of them too.
    Final Interview - with a Senior Partner
    The discussion focused around understanding of my current situation, experience to date and questions exploring my relevance – from a consulting or an industry angle – to the role.

Overall, the interviews were far more dynamic than those I’ve had elsewhere. They were all conducted by employees of the relevant practice team and dug deep in terms of experience and seeking to understand the way I thought. I found it a good opportunity to ask real questions and get a candid response.

Interview Questions

• Case study - In hindsight, the more selective you can be with the material, the better.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had the opportunity to set my salary expectations with the HR team at the start of the process. Their offer matched this and so happily accepted.