Baringa Partners Consultant (Energy Advisory Practice) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Consultant (Energy Advisory Practice)

Baringa Partners Consultant (Energy Advisory Practice) Interview Questions

Interviews at Baringa Partners

1 Interview Review

Consultant (Energy Advisory Practice) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in July 2013.

Interview

I knew a few people that worked for Baringa and met one of them whoput my CV forward through a employee referral system. After getting through the CV sifting, The first round consisted of an online 45 minute excel based exercise revolving around data analysis and using intermediate excel functions to derive your results. Most of the analysis was focused on calculating fuel, carbon, variable costs etc. Other questions focused on calculating monthly averages and volume weighted averages off hourly data, calculate plant load factors and comment on results. Apparently they were interested in not just the answer but also what functions of excel you use (vlookups, IF statements, SUMIF, COUNTIF etc), I don't think you needed to get into VBA or anything harder given the questions and time constraints.

2nd round is a interview with two senior managers/directors of the practice you are applying for. Pretty standard interview broken up into them getting you to explain your CV history, they asked you some 'case study' based questions on the energy markets that they were currently working on (I got asked about the Irish and UK market) and finally 'company fit' type questions. I wasn't really up to scratch with my knowledge of the particular energy market I was working in and ultimately this let me down.

I unfortunately never made it through to the final round, but I was told this would be focused on analysing a case study and then presenting this to another director and or partner(s).

Even though i didn't get through I received good feedback and the company overall seemed like a good place to work. Only negative was the interview process was very drawn out due to them pooling all the applicants and having to wait a bit between stages for everyone to complete each stage.

Interview Questions

• They do ask very specific questions especially revolving around EU energy market integration and questions about the marginal technology in each market. It is worth downloading some energy modelling specific reports and make sure you know about the current issues in the market you are working in.   Answer Question