Baringa Partners Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Baringa Partners Interview Questions

Interviews at Baringa Partners

3.4

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in July 2013.

Interview

This was 18 months ago and the interview process has since changed - however:
    1. Submit CV
    2. Face to face interview with two managers
    3. Face to face interview including 10 min presentation with one partner, one senior manager

The interview style was friendly and comfortable, with probing but not challenging questions.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was in 3 stages and was very efficiently managed.

First a 1:1 with a manager from the practice. He was very relaxed and easy to chat to. It was more of a discussion of my CV and my experience, with a small focus on competencies, but no horrible questions trying to trip you up.

The second stage was a case study and presentation with two senior managers. There was an hour to read the case study and prepare some outputs on a white board, followed by a one hour discussion of the case study and my recommendations. They did challenge some of my points, but similar to the first interview they weren't trying to trip me up, they were merely trying to establish my experience and skills.

The third stage was a 1:1 interview with the Partner at the head of the practice. This was similar to the first interview in that it was a discussion of my skills and experience, based on my CV.

After each stage I was called by HR who gave me very clear feedback on where I needed to be stronger in the next round. At the subsequent interviews I was asked questions around these areas.

Interview Questions

• In the case study: Do you think it would be appropriate to run part of the delivery with an agile approach and part with a waterfall approach?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

I found the recruitment process very well organized and end to end (1st Interview to offer) timescale was just over 4 weeks. I applied directly to the company and found the direct recruitment contact very transparent and helpful with questions around various stages.

Interview Questions

• First stage was a detailed walk through of my CV with questions around reasoning behind some of the career and education choices I made. The second stage consisted of a Case Study exercise. I was given an hour to prepare and an hour to discuss/present. The case study material itself is not complex but there is lot of information to get through and make sense of as a whole. The case study was about technology delivery ( Client using two suppliers to deliver a IT project with tight timescales) and the information was presented in (approx.) 10 page document containing background information, views of various stakeholders, email transcript, status report, etc. There were two questions to answer around identifying problems and proposing potential solution. I found the case study easy enough but maybe because I could draw heavily from my work experience. The discussion itself was centered on the problem I had identified, the solution I was proposing and the reasoning behind it. Also bounced a few ideas back and forth and discussed pros and cons of other options. During both stages, 1st and 2nd, I heard back the outcome on the same day in afternoon (my interviews/case study were in morning). The Partner interview was a walkthrough of my experience, with questions around my opinions/knowledge on certain technology delivery concepts, industry. I had my partner interview on Friday and heard back early following week with a formal offer following the week after. I also took up the offer for Peer to Peer interview which was scheduled between the 2nd and 3rd round interview. This was very useful for me to gain an informal view about the company culture (which was a key reason for me to move away from current company), etc. My experience of the process, people and culture was very positive during recruitment stages and after joining too. I had to negotiate initial offer and justified with valid reasons - they matched my expectations   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)).

Interview

3 interview rounds, final round most testing. Be prepared to answer a variety of questions on your knowledge of current issues facing the energy market. Being comfortable with both recent policy decisions and the economic merit order of existing and BNE plants would be very useful. Suggest finding a current market report on your country of interest and reading it cover to cover. Also sign up for the Cornwall energy new service (UK only) for latest news and events.

Interview Questions

• Be able to discuss the economics behind energy marketplace merit orders. Knowing which technology operates at peak is not sufficient, you need to know why   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

I was headhunted for this position and the headhunter was the person in charge of sending my CV. I had first a phone interview with one of the partners and after a couple a weeks I had a face to face interview with two senior managers. I received an offer a couple of days after.

Interview Questions

• no difficult question, as usual be prepare and be your self.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I have negotiated the initial offer and received a new offer which was almost what i was looking for. However be prepared to justify why you request such salary increase.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

Interview process was very quick - 1st round, case study and final round completed within 3 weeks with an offer coming less than an hour after my final interview. The recruitment team were really helpful and got back to me very quickly after each interview with feedback.

1st Interview - General one hour interview about my background and experience which was led by the managers running through my CV and asking questions based on that. Lots of questions around my cultural fit with the company and how I work in teams
    2nd Interview - Case Study interview based on a Procurement transformation. I was given an hour to read the material and present my case for the problem, what I think a solution could be, what benefits I thought this solution would bring and how I would bring these up in a kick-off meeting. I was then given one hour to present this to two managers and answer questions on it. This was the hardest interview with much more technical questions
    3rd Interview - a final interview with a partner and senior manager in the practice you have applied to. This was much more relaxed with them selling Baringa to me more than answering technical questions. I was asked a bit around my background and my reasons for applying for the business area.

Overall I found the process great - Baringa were very accommodating with speeding up the process to fit in with my other applications. Having initially been leaning towards another company before the interviews I was completely persuaded during the three interview that Baringa was the place to go

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Set expectations with HR which was matched in the offer so no further negotiation

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners.

Interview

The process from start to finish was really efficient. I found HR quick in their response and truly accommodating when it came to meeting the time constraints I was under. I found the interview process very thorough, where cultural fit, experience and also motivation for joining, were important in equal measure. For me, I found everyone I met extremely friendly – making the process not only personal but also enjoyable.

First Interview - with a Director
    This was a mixture of a run through of my CV - with an onus on understanding my choices to date. It also went into some depth on my most recent, relevant experience and really exploring how I personally contributed in each of those tasks/examples/challenges.
    Second Interview - Case Study with two Senior Consultants
    A two hour session - I was given the material ( a meaty document with tables/data, opinions of stakeholders, general company information) and had 1 hour preparation to answer some key questions about the business - in advance of a key workshop coming up with the client. The interviewers asked for reasons behind my decisions and thinking, challenging some of them too.
    Final Interview - with a Senior Partner
    The discussion focused around understanding of my current situation, experience to date and questions exploring my relevance – from a consulting or an industry angle – to the role.

Overall, the interviews were far more dynamic than those I’ve had elsewhere. They were all conducted by employees of the relevant practice team and dug deep in terms of experience and seeking to understand the way I thought. I found it a good opportunity to ask real questions and get a candid response.

Interview Questions

• Case study - In hindsight, the more selective you can be with the material, the better.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had the opportunity to set my salary expectations with the HR team at the start of the process. Their offer matched this and so happily accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

First Round interview on the telephone followed by face to face case study exercise. They were very poor at organising the interviews, moving my first round face to face interview a number of times and then only confirming my second round case study the day before. They then organised my third round interview and only told me the day before my final round I hadn't made it through. They then never gave me full feedback from this interview so I am still left clueless.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in August 2018.

Interview

This interview process left me dumbfounded. Baringa solicited me via their HR recruiter via linkedin saying I had a potential match with their TMT practice. I have had several years of work experience within the media industry, with several multi-million dollar transformation projects under my belt for some of the biggest conglomerates.

The first screening was with the partner of TMT over the phone. This was a good touch base on the practice, its future, and also my experience and what I want for my career trajectory. Fairly standard interview and Q&A. As I have in the past worked at an employee owned consultancy, which brands itself one of the ‘best places to work’ and a splinter from the Big4 ethos (even though so many of the employees are former alumni).

The second screening was with a senior manager from the TMT practice in person. This interview touched on skillsets, deep dive on the resume, discussion on the industry and Baringa. I thoroughly enjoyed this interview, as the consultant was as passionate about TMT as myself, and had a lot of experience within the industry.

The third touchpoint was with the HR recruiter giving me feedback with the manager interview. It was extremely positive, to the extent that I felt a bit embarrassed.

My final interview was the case study which was a digital transformation problem. I had actually worked on several major digital transformations, so the case study came across as rather easy. However following the interview I was told by HR (over a week and half later, and only after I reached out) that I was not longer a contender in the process. This was shocking to me but he explained it was the head count scoping/pricing of the project question which they did not agree with my approach on, otherwise they felt I approached the challenge adequately. During the interview they stated they understood that the pricing question was very arbitrary to organisation and rates, so to base this as the crux of a decision was very antithesis. This was also shocking because anyone who has worked in consulting for even a week realises that pricing is varies based on rate cards, special rates for select clients, etc. as well as placement of staff on a project being divergent by project based on complexity, maturity of relationship with the client . Also since the case was so obtuse in terms of the problem presented, the pricing could definitely not be specific. I had communicated this to them when giving them my answer during the case.

I spoke to my good friend about this, and how I was dumbfounded not because I didn’t get the offer, but because I did not feel that this was objective, fair process. Also after getting such positive feedback in precursor rounds (including a discussion with the partner) and then being told the majority of the case study I approached correctly but they still did not want to proceed due to a question so subjective and to the secrecy behind the communication of the decision were confusing. My friend, being a managing partner within his firm and who has conducted hundreds of interviews for building his own team, was also dumbfounded as he knew this position was a title and salary haircut for me from my last job. He also knew I had managed these types of projects for several years working closely with CIOs/CTOs of major organisations. He asked to see the profiles of the two conducting the case interview (I had not looked at their LinkedIns precursor either). I was dumbfounded how both the director and senior manager had very rather unremarkable work experience precursor to Baringa and also came from second/third tier educations. He said my profile may have been intimidating (as I had worked on several titanic transformation projects for major media clients, went to ivy leagues for undergrad/grad, etc.). He reassured me that if an organisation and its employees are threatened by those they interview (which he believed to be the case), and they dont try to build the smartest team, it is an organisation to discount. Nonetheless, I have 2 offers on the table from other great firms (one being in-house strategy for a major media firm). so I will move on nicely. Again, in the past I have failed at interviews and I have taken it graciously, as I felt the criticisms were valid. However for this interview something was definitely smelling fishy, so potential candidates be weary.

Interview Questions

• Background, Resume, Future goals, Industry questions, case study on digital transformation   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Total process time was around 3 months. Initial informal conversation later followed by a formal first stage CV run through progressing on to a 2nd stage case study.
    The informal chat with the Partner was good. Charming chap who was welcoming and understanding.
    After that meeting it went into the hands of HR and internal recruitment, where the process slipped and things were poorly managed.
    First stage was organised and successfully moved to second stage.
    Radio silence for over a month, even after several chaser emails to recruitment team.
    Contact was eventually established and second stage was organised.
    Coming from industry and very little consulting background, I was given a consulting case study that was prepared for a seasoned consultant. Needless to say this was unsuccessful, as my desire to join Baringa was to mature and evolve my consulting skills not display an already full ability, otherwise I would have gone elsewhere if I had 10 years consulting experience!
    Feedback was essentially, 'you must improve your consulting skills before becoming consultant' weird huh! Any way their loss of a good employee with great potential.
    Hearing reviews from employees and previous employees, they basically say that I dodged a bullet as Baringa has quickly declined from its small bespoke beginnings to become a Accenture competitor full of ex-Accenture employees.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your experience?   1 Answer