Baringa Partners Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Baringa Partners Interview Questions

Interviews at Baringa Partners

3.4

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Total process time was around 3 months. Initial informal conversation later followed by a formal first stage CV run through progressing on to a 2nd stage case study.
    The informal chat with the Partner was good. Charming chap who was welcoming and understanding.
    After that meeting it went into the hands of HR and internal recruitment, where the process slipped and things were poorly managed.
    First stage was organised and successfully moved to second stage.
    Radio silence for over a month, even after several chaser emails to recruitment team.
    Contact was eventually established and second stage was organised.
    Coming from industry and very little consulting background, I was given a consulting case study that was prepared for a seasoned consultant. Needless to say this was unsuccessful, as my desire to join Baringa was to mature and evolve my consulting skills not display an already full ability, otherwise I would have gone elsewhere if I had 10 years consulting experience!
    Feedback was essentially, 'you must improve your consulting skills before becoming consultant' weird huh! Any way their loss of a good employee with great potential.
    Hearing reviews from employees and previous employees, they basically say that I dodged a bullet as Baringa has quickly declined from its small bespoke beginnings to become a Accenture competitor full of ex-Accenture employees.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your experience?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I was making a career transfer from industry so Inintially met with two partners to establish my motivation and where my industry knowledge would fit into their client propositions. After that I had an informal buddie meeting, a case study interview/presentation and a final meeting with two more partners. The process was very quick from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• Motivation, cultural fit/values, relevance of industry knowledge, experience of process change   Answer Question
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

I was extremely impressed with Baringa’s recruitment process at every stage. A positive applicant experience is clearly prioritised: the process is extremely transparent, they were flexible, always honoured the timescales in which they said they would get back to me, and asked for my feedback of my experience of the process regularly. This was very much appreciated and really sets them apart from the other traditional consulting firms.

I was referred by a current Baringa employee who I had worked with previously. They passed my CV onto the recruitment team, and after a week or so, I sent an email following up my application and was called back within a few hours, inviting me to a first interview. The first interview took place at Baringa’s offices with a Senior Manager, the level above which I was applying, and focused on fairly standard competency questions. The interview was made to feel more like a conversation, and the interviewer set aside time for me to ask as many questions as I wanted – taking the time to answer all of them comprehensively and honestly. This really helped my decision making in confirming that Baringa was the right move for me.

The second stage was in my mind the most difficult – an unseen case study. I was given a number of materials which I needed to read through in an hour about a specific business situation, and then needed to formulate my answer, using the white board provided. At the start of the second hour, a different Senior Manager and a Director entered the room, and I was asked to present my proposal and needed to think on my feet to answer questions they asked throughout. There is limited preparation that can be done here – the interviewers seemed to be testing my structure of thought, ability to think on my feet and demonstrate that I was able to communicate in an articulate and effective manner.

Between the second and final interview I was given the opportunity to meet a Baringa employee who was at my level. He took me out for a sandwich and we were able to cover a wide number of topics, which again he answered honestly and openly – ranging from benefits, to culture, to way of working, to his own experience on engagements at the firm. On the same day I met with a partner for a final interview, which was again competency based, but also asked about my future aspirations and assessed my cultural fit with the firm. Rather than a tense grilling, it was relaxed, with the conversation again being two way.

I was phoned two working days later by the same partner with an offer of employment, with the contract and paperwork following a few days later. The process from initial referral to final offer took exactly six weeks. Overall, it was an extremely positive experience driven by the people I dealt with throughout, which firmly solidified my decision to want to join the company.

Interview Questions

• - Describe a project you have worked on that you have been passionate about
      - Describe a project you have worked on where things did not go as well as you would have liked
      - What do you pride yourself on?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and quickly heard back inviting me to an interview. First round was a general meeting with a Senior Manager, with standard competency based questions and a review of my CV. The second round was a case study, I had an hour to prepare using materials provided and then an hour to discuss with two Senior Managers. Third round was a discussion with a Partner, which was really a cultural fit and expectations discussion. I then received an offer. Reference checks were conducted after I accepted the offer. The whole process was really well managed, and I understood clearly what would happen next at each stage.

Interview Questions

• The case study was the most difficult component of the interview process, but it was actually a really good way to engage with the interviewers in a simulated real world situation, I was able to gain an insight into working styles etc at Baringa, and it was well set out.   Answer Question

Manager Financial Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

I had previously been approached by Baringa via linkedin, but the time wasn't right for me at the time - I wish I had joined then, but that's a different story! I have to admit the way they approached me meant that I suggested Baringa to colleagues at the time. I kept the details and applied directly to the recruitment team. First round was a phone interview with a Senior Manager, with standard competency based questions, an intriguing conversation about the role of Digital in Insurance and a review of my CV. The second round was a case study, I had an hour to prepare using materials provided and then an hour to discuss with two other Senior Managers. Third round was a discussion with a Partner, some more interesting discussion topics and probing questions around cultural fit and future aspirations. All through the process the recruitment team replied and called in the timelines promised. Baringa interviewers were both welcoming and challenging. I received an offer in the agreed timescales. The whole process was slick, professional, friendly and really well managed, I understood what was happening at each stage and met a lot of the team before starting in my role.

Interview Questions

• How do you think 'Digital' will impact the insurance industry?   1 Answer

Senior Consultant/Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

The recruitment team were really impressive. Everything ran smoothly and efficiently and all communication was timely and proactive. The applicant's handbook I was sent set out the whole process clearly and was really helpful.

The first stage was an interview with a Senior Manager and Director. This was a fairly relaxed discussion about why I applied, my CV and experience whilst also touching on some technical areas.

The recruitment team called me the next day to give me feedback and to invite me back for the second and third stages. I was also offered an informal peer-to-peer chat with one of the team.

The second stage was a case study exercise with a different Senior Manager and Director. I was given a case study and a chance to ask any clarifying questions then 45mins to prepare. I was tasked with presenting for 45mins to a prospective client for a specific piece of work we were hoping to win. I was asked a number of questions throughout the presentation.

The third stage was an interview with two Partners that largely followed the format of the first interview but with more focus on areas I was interested in working on and skills I wanted to develop.

The whole process from application to offer took 5 weeks.

Interview Questions

• The case study was the most challenging part of the assessment. You are only given the materials on the day and there is only so much preparation you can do.   2 Answers

Capital Markets Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Three stage interview process. Met various members of staff from Manager to Partner level. The process also involved an informal 'peer to peer' chat with a Baringa member of staff at the same level as me.

The whole process was very well coordinated. I had a consistent point of contact throughout the process.

I got positive feedback as well as areas for improvement which I really liked.

Overall a well run process.

Interview Questions

• Looked at; motivation, fit, values, experience, industry knowledge and consulting skill set   1 Answer

Corporate Role Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners.

Interview

The process from start to finish was excellent, the interviews were arranged around my schedule as best as possible and each meeting was engaging and enjoyable. I found the peer meeting to be not only a useful insight into life at Baringa but also allowed me to ask questions I may not have asked in an interview setting.

Interview Questions

• There was a real focus on ensuring culture fit as well as providing me with plenty of information of their expectations of the individual coming into the role   Answer Question

Consultant (Energy Advisory Practice) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in July 2013.

Interview

I knew a few people that worked for Baringa and met one of them whoput my CV forward through a employee referral system. After getting through the CV sifting, The first round consisted of an online 45 minute excel based exercise revolving around data analysis and using intermediate excel functions to derive your results. Most of the analysis was focused on calculating fuel, carbon, variable costs etc. Other questions focused on calculating monthly averages and volume weighted averages off hourly data, calculate plant load factors and comment on results. Apparently they were interested in not just the answer but also what functions of excel you use (vlookups, IF statements, SUMIF, COUNTIF etc), I don't think you needed to get into VBA or anything harder given the questions and time constraints.

2nd round is a interview with two senior managers/directors of the practice you are applying for. Pretty standard interview broken up into them getting you to explain your CV history, they asked you some 'case study' based questions on the energy markets that they were currently working on (I got asked about the Irish and UK market) and finally 'company fit' type questions. I wasn't really up to scratch with my knowledge of the particular energy market I was working in and ultimately this let me down.

I unfortunately never made it through to the final round, but I was told this would be focused on analysing a case study and then presenting this to another director and or partner(s).

Even though i didn't get through I received good feedback and the company overall seemed like a good place to work. Only negative was the interview process was very drawn out due to them pooling all the applicants and having to wait a bit between stages for everyone to complete each stage.

Interview Questions

• They do ask very specific questions especially revolving around EU energy market integration and questions about the marginal technology in each market. It is worth downloading some energy modelling specific reports and make sure you know about the current issues in the market you are working in.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners in July 2014.

Interview

Very efficient recruitment team. Sent application online and they contacted me really quickly to understand my current circumstances and provide a pack with the steps in the recruitment process and company background.
    Round 1: Telephone interview with 2 Senior consultants. Competency interview and general skills questions
    Round 2: Case study with Senior Manager. Improvements in the procurement process of an energy company. Tables with data regarding number of suppliers and graph with variations on how the payments/invoices where done. Asked to create an email for a workshop that will be conducted and to plan for how I would implement the project. Team, activities, deliverables and techniques that would be used in each stage of the project.

Interview Questions

• The case Study is complex and there is a lot of data to analyse. It is key to show your analitical skills and to present and talk about the techniques/tools to be used in a process improvement/transformation project   Answer Question

See What Baringa Partners Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Manager in London, England (UK)

Pros: “Having spent over 5 years in industry working for a Large Energy Retailer, I moved to Baringa 4.5 years ago; I'm not one for propaganda but Baringa is genuinely the best employer I...”“Having spent over 5 years in industry working for a Large Energy Retailer, I moved to Baringa 4.5 years ago; I'm not one for propaganda but Baringa is genuinely the best employer I have worked for. Very few of my projects have been short term (mostly 3-18 months), giving me an opportunity to build relationships and work on a variety of interesting and stimulating topics. As a result I have grown and learned more about my chosen industry, and pushed myself to become better than I would have been otherwise. So in general, I'm absolutely delighted by my day to day job satisfaction. What's distinct from other consultancies I have worked for is the culture - it genuinely feels like management know who I am and appreciate my contribution. Moreover I can think of several examples where management has given me or colleagues the room to focus on my personal life (children, sickness etc.) and have openly encouraged me to let the day to day take a back seat: this gives me sense that they business wants to build loyalty, trust and invest in me over the longer term. There is a real entrepreneurial spirit here. That shouldn't be confused with commercial ruthlessness. It's better characterised as giving people the freedom to try, to treat this as their own business, and to fail without recrimination. There's loads more that I'm sure other reviews have alluded to; company events, general social scene etc.” – Full Review