Baringa Partners Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Baringa Partners Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Baringa Partners

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Interview

First Round interview on the telephone followed by face to face case study exercise. They were very poor at organising the interviews, moving my first round face to face interview a number of times and then only confirming my second round case study the day before. They then organised my third round interview and only told me the day before my final round I hadn't made it through. They then never gave me full feedback from this interview so I am still left clueless.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Baringa Partners

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in August 2018.

Interview

This interview process left me dumbfounded. Baringa solicited me via their HR recruiter via linkedin saying I had a potential match with their TMT practice. I have had several years of work experience within the media industry, with several multi-million dollar transformation projects under my belt for some of the biggest conglomerates.

The first screening was with the partner of TMT over the phone. This was a good touch base on the practice, its future, and also my experience and what I want for my career trajectory. Fairly standard interview and Q&A. As I have in the past worked at an employee owned consultancy, which brands itself one of the ‘best places to work’ and a splinter from the Big4 ethos (even though so many of the employees are former alumni).

The second screening was with a senior manager from the TMT practice in person. This interview touched on skillsets, deep dive on the resume, discussion on the industry and Baringa. I thoroughly enjoyed this interview, as the consultant was as passionate about TMT as myself, and had a lot of experience within the industry.

The third touchpoint was with the HR recruiter giving me feedback with the manager interview. It was extremely positive, to the extent that I felt a bit embarrassed.

My final interview was the case study which was a digital transformation problem. I had actually worked on several major digital transformations, so the case study came across as rather easy. However following the interview I was told by HR (over a week and half later, and only after I reached out) that I was not longer a contender in the process. This was shocking to me but he explained it was the head count scoping/pricing of the project question which they did not agree with my approach on, otherwise they felt I approached the challenge adequately. During the interview they stated they understood that the pricing question was very arbitrary to organisation and rates, so to base this as the crux of a decision was very antithesis. This was also shocking because anyone who has worked in consulting for even a week realises that pricing is varies based on rate cards, special rates for select clients, etc. as well as placement of staff on a project being divergent by project based on complexity, maturity of relationship with the client . Also since the case was so obtuse in terms of the problem presented, the pricing could definitely not be specific. I had communicated this to them when giving them my answer during the case.

I spoke to my good friend about this, and how I was dumbfounded not because I didn’t get the offer, but because I did not feel that this was objective, fair process. Also after getting such positive feedback in precursor rounds (including a discussion with the partner) and then being told the majority of the case study I approached correctly but they still did not want to proceed due to a question so subjective and to the secrecy behind the communication of the decision were confusing. My friend, being a managing partner within his firm and who has conducted hundreds of interviews for building his own team, was also dumbfounded as he knew this position was a title and salary haircut for me from my last job. He also knew I had managed these types of projects for several years working closely with CIOs/CTOs of major organisations. He asked to see the profiles of the two conducting the case interview (I had not looked at their LinkedIns precursor either). I was dumbfounded how both the director and senior manager had very rather unremarkable work experience precursor to Baringa and also came from second/third tier educations. He said my profile may have been intimidating (as I had worked on several titanic transformation projects for major media clients, went to ivy leagues for undergrad/grad, etc.). He reassured me that if an organisation and its employees are threatened by those they interview (which he believed to be the case), and they dont try to build the smartest team, it is an organisation to discount. Nonetheless, I have 2 offers on the table from other great firms (one being in-house strategy for a major media firm). so I will move on nicely. Again, in the past I have failed at interviews and I have taken it graciously, as I felt the criticisms were valid. However for this interview something was definitely smelling fishy, so potential candidates be weary.

Interview Questions

• Background, Resume, Future goals, Industry questions, case study on digital transformation   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Total process time was around 3 months. Initial informal conversation later followed by a formal first stage CV run through progressing on to a 2nd stage case study.
    The informal chat with the Partner was good. Charming chap who was welcoming and understanding.
    After that meeting it went into the hands of HR and internal recruitment, where the process slipped and things were poorly managed.
    First stage was organised and successfully moved to second stage.
    Radio silence for over a month, even after several chaser emails to recruitment team.
    Contact was eventually established and second stage was organised.
    Coming from industry and very little consulting background, I was given a consulting case study that was prepared for a seasoned consultant. Needless to say this was unsuccessful, as my desire to join Baringa was to mature and evolve my consulting skills not display an already full ability, otherwise I would have gone elsewhere if I had 10 years consulting experience!
    Feedback was essentially, 'you must improve your consulting skills before becoming consultant' weird huh! Any way their loss of a good employee with great potential.
    Hearing reviews from employees and previous employees, they basically say that I dodged a bullet as Baringa has quickly declined from its small bespoke beginnings to become a Accenture competitor full of ex-Accenture employees.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your experience?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I was making a career transfer from industry so Inintially met with two partners to establish my motivation and where my industry knowledge would fit into their client propositions. After that I had an informal buddie meeting, a case study interview/presentation and a final meeting with two more partners. The process was very quick from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• Motivation, cultural fit/values, relevance of industry knowledge, experience of process change   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

I was extremely impressed with Baringa’s recruitment process at every stage. A positive applicant experience is clearly prioritised: the process is extremely transparent, they were flexible, always honoured the timescales in which they said they would get back to me, and asked for my feedback of my experience of the process regularly. This was very much appreciated and really sets them apart from the other traditional consulting firms.

I was referred by a current Baringa employee who I had worked with previously. They passed my CV onto the recruitment team, and after a week or so, I sent an email following up my application and was called back within a few hours, inviting me to a first interview. The first interview took place at Baringa’s offices with a Senior Manager, the level above which I was applying, and focused on fairly standard competency questions. The interview was made to feel more like a conversation, and the interviewer set aside time for me to ask as many questions as I wanted – taking the time to answer all of them comprehensively and honestly. This really helped my decision making in confirming that Baringa was the right move for me.

The second stage was in my mind the most difficult – an unseen case study. I was given a number of materials which I needed to read through in an hour about a specific business situation, and then needed to formulate my answer, using the white board provided. At the start of the second hour, a different Senior Manager and a Director entered the room, and I was asked to present my proposal and needed to think on my feet to answer questions they asked throughout. There is limited preparation that can be done here – the interviewers seemed to be testing my structure of thought, ability to think on my feet and demonstrate that I was able to communicate in an articulate and effective manner.

Between the second and final interview I was given the opportunity to meet a Baringa employee who was at my level. He took me out for a sandwich and we were able to cover a wide number of topics, which again he answered honestly and openly – ranging from benefits, to culture, to way of working, to his own experience on engagements at the firm. On the same day I met with a partner for a final interview, which was again competency based, but also asked about my future aspirations and assessed my cultural fit with the firm. Rather than a tense grilling, it was relaxed, with the conversation again being two way.

I was phoned two working days later by the same partner with an offer of employment, with the contract and paperwork following a few days later. The process from initial referral to final offer took exactly six weeks. Overall, it was an extremely positive experience driven by the people I dealt with throughout, which firmly solidified my decision to want to join the company.

Interview Questions

• - Describe a project you have worked on that you have been passionate about
      - Describe a project you have worked on where things did not go as well as you would have liked
      - What do you pride yourself on?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Baringa Partners in October 2014.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and quickly heard back inviting me to an interview. First round was a general meeting with a Senior Manager, with standard competency based questions and a review of my CV. The second round was a case study, I had an hour to prepare using materials provided and then an hour to discuss with two Senior Managers. Third round was a discussion with a Partner, which was really a cultural fit and expectations discussion. I then received an offer. Reference checks were conducted after I accepted the offer. The whole process was really well managed, and I understood clearly what would happen next at each stage.

Interview Questions

• The case study was the most difficult component of the interview process, but it was actually a really good way to engage with the interviewers in a simulated real world situation, I was able to gain an insight into working styles etc at Baringa, and it was well set out.   Answer Question