Barnes & Noble Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Barnes & Noble

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victorville, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Victorville, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

This company will have you interview with a few highly experienced Store Managers to asses your skill set. All interviews were professional and to the point. The managers conducting the interview were always prepared and well informed of which position you are applying for. The application process is communicated and organized well.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate your team?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

#Several interviews, Peer, Store Manager and District Manager

Interview Questions

• Standard questions, P&L experience, number of direct reports, handling irate or difficult customers, goal setting, meeting goals   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, this is the offer, will usually have some small opportunity for negotiation. Internal hires no opportuity - at all.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2012.

Interview

I was hired into the position internally and interviewed with the Store Manager and District Manger. An external candidate would have 1-2 more interviews with other Store Managers or Assistant Store Mangers.

Interview Questions

• If you were a tree what kind of tree would you be and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bergen, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Bergen, NJ) in October 2010.

Interview

Promoted from within to a management position. I was already doing the job I was hired for essentially, so the interview process was rather short and sweet.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself with the company in the next 5 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mira Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Mira Mesa, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Pretty typical interview questions for a management position. Had a mass interview / job Fair at a central location in San Diego. You had to preregister for online. Name gets called, you meet with one of several people and asked the standard questions.... Depending on how you answer the questions and look you get asked to stay longer for more of the same.

Where this turned south for me was when they said they would follow up and didn't.... Several calls to both the Store I wanted to work at and to store personnel I knew who interviewed me.

No returned calls.

While it is certainly ok to have several neutral to negative responses to a candidate. "Thanks, but no thanks." " We had 3 openings you were #4 on list, please try again." " We are working process and informing other candidates of their status, please hang in there..."

I went into the Escondido site as a last resort for a face to face. See what could be salvaged or just move on and cross them off my list. My interaction with the MOD or employee was less than desirable. No name badge, not shaved, clothes were in disarray. The deciding factor for me, ws when I was told they have these "Cattle Calls" and there are really no openings. "If they like you, They make a spot." ....This from the store location where the District manager has a office.

No return call is just rude and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• They cover your resume. Then on to how many employees were direct reports. Your duties performed etc... How do you do with great employees? What do you do with bad employees? Etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Lancaster, PA) in January 2011.

Interview

Process was probably different for me because i was an internal candidate but the overall feeling I got from the team conducting the interview was that their mind was already made up.

Interview Questions

• Q. What are your goals in life outside of this company   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2011.

Interview

There are specific questions that the interviewer must ask. The questions focus on customer service, pretty easy. There were a lot of situational questions- if this happened, you would do what. Questions about your favorite writers, genres. Questions about payroll experience. A lot of questions about the latest digital device offered by Barnes & Noble. Of course, there were questions regarding availability to work. After the in store interview, there is a peer phone interview, and then a district manager phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to handle a difficult customer issue.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in East Orange, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (East Orange, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

The Interview was a mix of questions based on previous experience and situational questions. The interview questions came from a script that the interviewing manager was reading. I was instructed to interview with a manager from a different store to the one I was interviewing for, then I was called to have a panel interview at the store for which i was applying.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you dealt with an angry customer   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

It was a pretty simple interview. The interviewer didn’t seem like she prepared set questions, we just casually talked about my education and work background. She asked about how I would handle different situations.