Barnes & Noble Interview Questions in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Updated May 1, 2017

1.9

Merchandising Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online at the B&N website and then took in a copy of my resume to introduce myself. Personally, if there is a physical location for any job that you're applying to, I think it's a good idea to go to the store in person as well in addition to the online application. It makes you stand out amongst the hundreds of other people that also applied online. It must have worked because I got a call 2 days later for a phone screen and then asked to come back into the store for a one on one interview.

The f2f was two parts. B&N does a "peer interview" where you interview with someone either in the same position you are applying or at least a member of the management team. After that, I interviewed with the store manager. We sat in the cafe for the whole interview, which took about 1.5 hours. It was behavioral questions where you had to give examples of how you accomplished things and to get to know your work ethic/management style. They told me that they would get back to me early the following week.

When the Manager called the next week, she informed me that they went with an internal candidate at that location but that there was another location looking for someone in the same position. She offered to call them to give me a good recommendation which I took her up on. She called them while I reapplied for that location (you have to apply for each individual location you want to work at) and went to drop off my resume there as well.

The Manager there called me the next week to set up a face to face. Since I had gone through the phone screen and the peer interview, I just interviewed with him. He asked me to come back the next day to interview with the DM. I interviewed with her; more behavioral questions with a few more questions about my background.

I didn't hear anything for a couple of days so I called to check the status and see if a decision had been made. The ASM stated that they were just about to call me as they wanted to run a background check and she sent me a link via email. I filled it out and sent it off late on a Friday afternoon.

Early the next week, I got a call with an offer.

Interview Questions

• If you have 2 candidates that are equally qualified, how do you choose?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Offer was higher than expected.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and then went into the store and talked with the manager several days before the interview. It just so happened that they were doing group interviews that Friday. I came to the group interview and there were four others there. We drew pictures, answered questions about ourselves and our availability, and what we would do in a selling situation. It all lasted about an hour and fifteen minutes.

Bookseller - Temporary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Alpharetta, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview took about 45 minutes. It was a very relaxed atmosphere, with some questions unique to a bookstore, such as books I've read recently. I applied online, but a store employee also recommended me. Otherwise, I doubt I would have gotten an interview, since they have a lot of applicants. I was disappointed that I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Would you be comfortable selling the B&N membership card to customers at check-out?   Answer Question

Barista/Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was called in for a group interview. They had us draw something that described our personality, practice selling a membership, and practice selling a food and beverage. Then I got another call back for the second interview, where they asked basic interview questions. They liked me so they did my third interview the same day. They asked more basic questions and sent me a link for a background check. I was offered the job and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to sell something to a customer.   1 Answer

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in January 2016.

Interview

I saw the job posting on Indeed.com and applied online at the Barnes & Noble website. I immediately received an email confirmation that my application and resume had been received. I received a phone call to schedule an interview at the Barnes & Noble store. My interview was with an Assistant Manager about 2 weeks after I applied. The interview was pleasant and seemed to go well, but I was not offered the job.

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very easy, but it could also be due to the fact that they were hiring seasonal workers. The first "stage" was a group interview with five people (including myself). We had various tasks, such as grabbing a book and describing a review to a customer. They really liked it when I asked my "customer" if they wanted to see the book, so definitely get the customer's hands on items!
    We were also tasked with eating/reviewing items from the cafe. Find out which items compliment each other, or what items suit different palates.
    The second stage was a one-on-one interview. Very standard questions.

Receiver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Alpharetta, GA) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview wasn't terribly hard or formal. They took me back into the receiving area, talked about the job requirements. They then asked me to elaborate upon parts of my resume and job history, how those were relevant to the job i was applying for, and how i could apply them. They also, asked about the normal stuff, how did you hear about us, and why do you want to work at B&N.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever done anything approaching the kind of work you'll have here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Norcross, GA).

Interview

I was contacted by the store manager the day after I filled out an application and we set up an interview for a few days later. About two days after my interview, she called to offer me the job and I accepted. It was an easy process.

Interview Questions

• "What do you see as some of your liabilities as an employee?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation on seasonal hourly pay.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in July 2014.

Interview

Process took 13 Days
    I applied on a Wednesday. I really wanted the job so I called the next day to make sure they got my application. I got a call that Sunday from the manager. We did and over the phone interview that lasted about 10 minutes. I was then asked to come in for a one on one interview the very next day.
    I came in and met with the assistant manager. She was very kind and we sat in the café. It was a very informal interview. She asked me general questions, nothing to difficult. At the end she told me I had gotten the second interview, and that I just had to wait for them to call and schedule it. I got a call that Wednesday and went for the interview the following Thursday. It lasted about 30 minutes. More generic questions like how have you dealt with an angry customer.
    I got a call that Monday offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with upselling?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, but some barnes and nobles do a review every few months where you are eligible for a raise

Cafe Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in December 2013.

Interview

Asked the basics like what i would do for a customer in a bad situation. Asked if i knew of the benefits of the card. Very friendly and knows if you are a first time worker . Great to help you understand the questions they ask and to put it into a real world situation