Barnes & Noble Barista Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Barista Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Lincoln, NE) in February 2017.

Interview

They called to invite me to interview the next day. The interview lasted about 40 minutes and was very relaxed and easy. I interviewed first with one of the general managers of the bookstore location, and after she had asked me 15 questions and I'd asked her 10, she brought the cafe manager over to complete my interview. The cafe manager asked me 5 more required questions and went over what a typical day as a Cafe Barista. I asked her a few questions that popped up as she walked me through the typical day, then we shook hands and ended the interview. Ten minutes later, they sent an email for background check consent. I filled it out and submitted it within fifteen minutes. Three days later, they called to offer me the job!

Interview Questions

• How do you make people feel comfortable talking to you?   1 Answer
  • What have you been reading lately?   1 Answer
  • Tell me about a time you resolved an issue with a coworker.   Answer Question
  • Why Barnes and Noble?   Answer Question
  • Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was quite short. I got an email for an interview. The invterview lasted around 20 minutes with about 5 to 7 questions. After the interview I received my job offer and I signed it. They needed staff, so my answers didn't have much weight.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Indianapolis, IN) in August 2016.

Interview

Sent in application on Indeed.com then got a call for interview. After the interview he called to confirm the phone numbers from my references and said if they checked out then he would let me know within 72 hours when I could start. When they did check out he scheduled me to come in and start training. The first few days are paperwork and then working the front desk rather than the actual cafe so that was kind of weird.

Interview Questions

• Sell me a book, even though you are not going to be working the floor as a cafe server.   1 Answer

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2016.

Interview

I sent in an application online and received a call the very next day from a manager. The phone call was essentially the interview. She asked me questions about myself, conditions of the job, and company related terms. It took about 10 minutes. The questions were average in difficulty and felt very generic. No call back yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merced, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Merced, CA).

Interview

A week after applying online, I got a call notifying me Barnes and Noble wanted to interview me the next day. Over the phone they asked me a couple of questions, such as, "Why are you interested in working for Barnes and Noble?", "What interests you in sales?", "Do you have any salary requests?", and "What is your favorite café drink?"

The in person interview was very quick and casual. The interview itself only lasted about 15 minutes. I was asked around 5-6 questions in total. Half of them situational, the other behavioral. The interview took place in the café in the middle of the day, so there was a lot of people around with some noise (hence my casual note)

Barnes and Noble is looking for a person with previous customer service/job experience, which they ask about multiple times in the interview. People with little to no job experience have slim chances of getting hired (IMO).

Interview Questions

• How do you manage your time?
      Tell me about a time you had a conflict with a co-worker and how you resolved it.
      Answer Question

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I was online and saw a post on Indeed.com. Two weeks later i received a call for an interview. I got offered the job on the spot. yay go me

Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Evansville, IN) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online for a seasonal position in the cafe, due to my experience as a barista. I was called a few days later to set up an interview. The manager who was supposed to do it wasn't there when I came in, so the assistant manager interviewed me. It was pretty casual. "Tell me about yourself. What sort of experience do you have?" I recall being asked how I had handled a coworker who didn't like me and how I'd handled an upset customer. I then met the cafe manager, who was more intimidating because I knew from hanging out at the store in the past that she always seemed to be in a bad mood. She was pleasant, though. She was definitely interested in my experience, but I know other people who worked the cafe that had never been baristas before. So it isn't absolutely necessary. We chatted and she told me that once the background check came back, assuming I hadn't killed anyone in the past ten years, she'd schedule me for training. I was supposed to get an email the next day to authorize the background. A few days later, I came back in and asked her if she knew about it because I hadn't received the email. She tracked down the manager who offered me the job prior to the check, and they put me on the schedule for Monday.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you and a coworker didn't get along.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about an unhappy customer and how you fixed things.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Marlton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Marlton, NJ) in October 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with the cafe manager first and then the general manager. Both interviews were fairly quick and straight forward. Talked about job expectations, tea, and books as well as experience. Volunteering and other extracurriculars were also taken into consideration in loo of prior job experience.

Interview Questions

• What are some things you like to read?   1 Answer

Barista Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was very relaxed, we sat right down in the cafe. She asked me a list of questions that were easy and work related. It lasted a half an hour or so, and by the end of it the manager told me she would skip the second interview, because I was the person they wanted to hire.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a conflict with a customer or a fellow employee?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Virginia Beach, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

Sat down in cafe with Manager. I found it to be very beneficial to me as a prospective employee as I got to learn more about the management staff and also got to see a little bit more about what it would be like to work there .

Interview Questions

• What do you do if you make a drink wrong/ customer complains.   Answer Question