Barnes & Noble Barista Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 13, 2017

2.0

34 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Got a phone call saying I was a candidate for the position and they were holding open interviews one day and to come in anytime within a two hour period. I got there and waited until the person before me was done. There was a casual one on one interview in the store, and I was offered the position on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Will you be okay with memorizing recipes, etc.? Give me an example   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Newport News, VA).

Interview

Two interviews. One with the store manager and one of the assistant managers. The second interview with the Cafe manager and Cafe lead. Everyone was friendly. I dressed in business casual clothing. I recommend smiling often (not in a crazy way though), and just over all seeming like a pleasant person to work with (as I'm sure is the case).

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical: If a customer is making a mess of the store (or just being a poorly behaved person), what should you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Chico, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

More of a conversation than an interview - great environment, welcoming and positive vibes throughout. I talked to both the General and Assistant Managers, and both were cordial and sharp. Employee benefits sound great. Offered me the job at the end of the interview!

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Reno, NV) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview process was extremely positive. I had two separate interviews, the first one with the cafe manager and the second with her higher up. I was offered a position on the spot after answering questions.

Anonymous Employee in West Bloomfield, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (West Bloomfield, MI).

Interview

I applied online using their very simple web portal. I received a call back about a week later. Got an interview and was called that week to say that I got the job.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite book?
      What are some of your strengths?
      Tell me about a difficult situation at your last job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Rochester, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The manager asked questions about my resume and several different scenario questions like what do I do during down time at work. It took about 15 minutes. The manager was very friendly and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Sell me either your favorite book, your phone, or a tablet.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Lincoln, NE) in February 2017.

Interview

They called to invite me to interview the next day. The interview lasted about 40 minutes and was very relaxed and easy. I interviewed first with one of the general managers of the bookstore location, and after she had asked me 15 questions and I'd asked her 10, she brought the cafe manager over to complete my interview. The cafe manager asked me 5 more required questions and went over what a typical day as a Cafe Barista. I asked her a few questions that popped up as she walked me through the typical day, then we shook hands and ended the interview. Ten minutes later, they sent an email for background check consent. I filled it out and submitted it within fifteen minutes. Three days later, they called to offer me the job!

Interview Questions

• How do you make people feel comfortable talking to you?   1 Answer
    • What have you been reading lately?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you resolved an issue with a coworker.   Answer Question
    • Why Barnes and Noble?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any questions for me?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pembroke Pines, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Pembroke Pines, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and about 2-3 days later I received a call back about the job. The woman on the phone was very polite and she asked me a few more questions before scheduling an interview the next day. I went in and she immediately complemented my attire (TIP: Do not wear jeans to the interview) and the interview only took about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What differentiates the Starbucks in Barns & Noble apart from other Starbucks locations?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was quite short. I got an email for an interview. The invterview lasted around 20 minutes with about 5 to 7 questions. After the interview I received my job offer and I signed it. They needed staff, so my answers didn't have much weight.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Indianapolis, IN) in August 2016.

Interview

Sent in application on Indeed.com then got a call for interview. After the interview he called to confirm the phone numbers from my references and said if they checked out then he would let me know within 72 hours when I could start. When they did check out he scheduled me to come in and start training. The first few days are paperwork and then working the front desk rather than the actual cafe so that was kind of weird.

Interview Questions

• Sell me a book, even though you are not going to be working the floor as a cafe server.   1 Answer