Barnes & Noble Book Seller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 23, 2017

2.4

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Hackensack, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Hackensack, NJ) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied Online, asked a lot of questions about prior experience – since this was my first job, I talked about experiences at school. TIP: You can say you love B&N/reading books/hanging out in the store, but don't let them think that you're going to try to sit around reading books instead of working.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in Coralville, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Coralville, IA) in February 2017.

Interview

I filled out an online application and got a call from one of the managers a couple of days later to schedule an in-person interview. The interview was easy, it felt more like having a pleasant conversation with someone I had just met rather than a job interview. I was informed right away that I was hired. All I had to do was pass a background check.

Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Really laid-back, I had my interview in the cafe and they asked me questions like "What is your favorite book?" or "How would you sell that book to a customer?"

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Nashville, TN) in September 2016.

Interview

Simple, brief, good questions. The manager was great. I enjoyed getting to know her and felt like she was actually interested in me, and not just interested in asking the questions so she could be done

Book Seller Interview

Interview

The process was very relaxed. First they call you to do a phone screening, then they bring you in for an in person interview. They'll check up on your references and call you back to offer you a position (or not).

They want to know that you're a reader, and what kinds of books you like so that they can put you in sections you'd be comfortable working in.

Interview Questions

• Who is your favorite author, what books do you like to read.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Florence, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Florence, KY) in October 2015.

Interview

I am going in for an interview tomorrow, it took almost a week for them to reply to my application, beforehand i formally introduced myself to the manager. Ill list the questions from over the phone here... I was offered to meet in person by the end of it, everything was a lot more laid back than i expected.

Interview Questions

• What is one of the books you're currently reading?   2 Answers
    • Why did you leave your previous job?   1 Answer

Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

The first interview that I went through was pretty casual. Very general questions and conversation including things like "what's your favorite book?"
    The second interview with the main store manager was a little more formal and in-depth.

Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I first applied online for the position of book seller and I was contacted by the manager for an over the phone interview a little less than a week later. We spoke for ten or fifteen minutes, with her asking questions like "what makes you a good fit?" and "why this company?" before she asked me to come into the store for an in-person interview. It was very informal and made me feel at ease, which I liked. The face to face interview was generally the same type of questions, but by a different person (another manager I believe). Unfortunately did not get the position, but the whole experience was not unpleasant.

Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2013.

Interview

I was asked a number of questions concerning my previous experience and how it relates to work at Barnes & Noble, as well as what sparked my interest in the company. The interviewer was very nice and engaging.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flint, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Flint, MI) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone call a few days later setting up an interview. From there my interview was pretty basic. I got questions like what I would do in my free time while at work, or how would I make a new coworker feel welcome, or what would I do if I had a problem with a coworker.

The interviewer also broke down the process of training and that it would include learning the cafe basics and the nook. After that she asked if I had any questions and explained that those called back for a second interview would know by the beginning of the next week.

Interview Questions

• I guess the most "difficult" question I was asked was one asking what I would do if someone approached me and didn't know what they were looking for. What made it difficult was simply the fact that I wasn't aware of their procedures per se.   1 Answer