Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 24, 2017

2.3

252 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Clifton, NJ).

Interview

Went in for short interview with manager (about 15 minutes), relaxed and casual, very easy process. Felt more like a chat about former jobs and what I liked and disliked about them than an interview.

Interview Questions

• What was a situation at your last job that you could have handled better?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I applied online, and got a call back after a couple of weeks. The interview was fast and easy. Two managers asked me very basic questions while I sat in the cafe on site.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Called for a group interview, got called a few hours after the group interview to set up an individual interview for the next day, and got the job offer and started the on boarding process within a week.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Group interview, answer basic interview questions, then pick out your favorite book in the store and "pitch a sale" to the hiring manager. If she likes your pitch, then you've got a great shot, hand-selling is important with book selling because it gets people to buy more than what they came in for which is where most of the sales come from.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with hand-selling?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Only take online applications. No need to come into the store or call, just apply through the stores site. Managers will contact you if your resume looks good. You'll have 2 interviews before offered the position.

Interview Questions

• What is a time you had to overcome opposition?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Barnes and Noble   Answer Question
    • Do you have a membership and do you think you would be successful at selling them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Baton Rouge, LA) in August 2017.

Interview

The application and interview process were both extremely simple. I filled out an application and included my referring employee. I received an email response within the next three days requesting an interview. The interview was very brief and included an overview of the store's various departments.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

it was a straightforward interview, we sat in the manager's office and they asked me a couple of questions. The basic stuff like "what kind of books do you like reading" and "are you an organized individual". It took about 30-45 minutes, felt pretty short really.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a situation where you had to work together as a team"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palos Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Palos Park, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application through their website on a Wednesday and got a call the the following Monday from a manager. She asked me some questions about my availability and why I wanted to work at B&N. I scheduled an in-person interview for Thursday.

The in-person interview was short about ten minutes with some situational questions, confirming what my available and desired salary was, if I'm comfortable with sales, and if I'm familiar with their rewards program. She left to talk to the store manager, and then he came over. He asked me what I read and more situational questions, like how would I approach him if he was looking at a book. I asked him a few of my questions. At the end, he took my references, said that they would check those out, and I'd hear from them soon.

I heard back two days later with an offer! I just had to do submit a form online for a background check, and I have orientation next week. Overall it was pretty fast, about a week and a half from my application to the day I got the offer. The two managers were super friendly during the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Macon, GA).

Interview

I applied online and I was contacted about a week later. I had a breif phone interview with an assistant store manager. She then asked me to come in for a face-to-face interview. I was interviewed by two managers. The first manager asked me situational questions. The second manager asked me general interview questions. I did a background check the same day and was contacted the next day offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult customers?   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Tysons Corner, VA).

Interview

I came in for my first interview that was with one of the store's merchandise managers. It went really well, and right after he asked if I could stay for another interview with one of the higher up managers. I said yes. After, I was told informally that I had the job. Really positive experience

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation in which there was a problem that had to be solved, and what was your method of solution?   Answer Question