Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

2.3

246 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Only take online applications. No need to come into the store or call, just apply through the stores site. Managers will contact you if your resume looks good. You'll have 2 interviews before offered the position.

Interview Questions

• What is a time you had to overcome opposition?   Answer Question
  • Why do you want to work at Barnes and Noble   Answer Question
  • Do you have a membership and do you think you would be successful at selling them?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Baton Rouge, LA) in August 2017.

Interview

The application and interview process were both extremely simple. I filled out an application and included my referring employee. I received an email response within the next three days requesting an interview. The interview was very brief and included an overview of the store's various departments.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

it was a straightforward interview, we sat in the manager's office and they asked me a couple of questions. The basic stuff like "what kind of books do you like reading" and "are you an organized individual". It took about 30-45 minutes, felt pretty short really.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a situation where you had to work together as a team"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palos Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Palos Park, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application through their website on a Wednesday and got a call the the following Monday from a manager. She asked me some questions about my availability and why I wanted to work at B&N. I scheduled an in-person interview for Thursday.

The in-person interview was short about ten minutes with some situational questions, confirming what my available and desired salary was, if I'm comfortable with sales, and if I'm familiar with their rewards program. She left to talk to the store manager, and then he came over. He asked me what I read and more situational questions, like how would I approach him if he was looking at a book. I asked him a few of my questions. At the end, he took my references, said that they would check those out, and I'd hear from them soon.

I heard back two days later with an offer! I just had to do submit a form online for a background check, and I have orientation next week. Overall it was pretty fast, about a week and a half from my application to the day I got the offer. The two managers were super friendly during the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Macon, GA).

Interview

I applied online and I was contacted about a week later. I had a breif phone interview with an assistant store manager. She then asked me to come in for a face-to-face interview. I was interviewed by two managers. The first manager asked me situational questions. The second manager asked me general interview questions. I did a background check the same day and was contacted the next day offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult customers?   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Tysons Corner, VA).

Interview

I came in for my first interview that was with one of the store's merchandise managers. It went really well, and right after he asked if I could stay for another interview with one of the higher up managers. I said yes. After, I was told informally that I had the job. Really positive experience

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation in which there was a problem that had to be solved, and what was your method of solution?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Memphis, TN) in May 2017.

Interview

Very easy, basic retail questions like what would I do in this situation. Asked about my previous retail experience and how that would help in this job. Everyone was easy to talk to

Interview Questions

• How I would approach a customer that wanted suggestions on a book   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

The interview was nice and simple. I just talked about some relevant experience, my interest in books and helping people. They start everyone out as a cashier, so be prepared to count a till for the interview. They go easy on you if you mess up though, especially if you have no experience, so no worries.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in a situation where you disagreed with your manager/supervisor?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Baton Rouge, LA) in April 2017.

Interview

The process took one month from submitting the application to receiving and accepting the job offer. It involved one phone interview and then an in-person interview with fairly standard questions regarding customer service and previous retail experience.

I knew they would receive numerous applications for the bookseller position posted on their careers website, so I called the store a week after I submitted my application and resume to speak with a manager about getting an interview. They immediately pulled my submission from the stack of applications, read through it while I was on the phone with them and agreed that they would like to continue moving forward in the interview process with me.

My qualifications and experience earned me the job, but my initiative in calling the store to speak with management regarding my application got me the interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in a situation when you and a coworker are having a serious issue working together?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Process took several weeks from application to start date. Interview was structured as a conversation more so than a formal interview. Interviewed with two managers, was offered the position then had to do a background check.