Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

Interviews at Barnes & Noble

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Tigard, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Tigard, OR) in October 2012.

Interview

Mailed in a resume and application for a new store opening and got a call back a couple of weeks later for an interview. Interview was very casual and short; lasted maybe 10-15 minutes. Got a call back four days later with an offer.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

I submitted my resume through monster.com and received a call for an interview about a week later. The interview was in a back room and lasted about 30 minutes. The questions were very corporate.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult customer that you had and how you dealt with it   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Hiring tends to happen more organically during the Fall season, when the December holidays approach. The interview process is one-on-one with a store manager on the premises. Expect basic retail experience questions and situational role-playing questions, but the whole vibe is cheery and generally un-stressful.

Interview Questions

• "How much do you expect to make here?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. You get started at minimum wage. The question is a test of your commitment and desire to "move up" within the company.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Orlando, FL) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied through paper application, and received a call from one of the managers about a month after I submitted my application. I was requested to come in for an interview, I scheduled the time, and prepared.

The first interview was done in the store (in the Cafe), in a relaxed setting, while the manager asked me several questions. They were typical "interview questions" that involved a few role-playing questions that weren't too elaborate. I made a point to prepare my own questions to ask the manager and he replied that he was very impressed with the fact that I took the time to prepare questions and notes about what I wanted to say about myself. This took about 40 minutes. We, then, went on a tour of the store, and he told me some of the duties that would be required of me, to "feel me out" and see if I could meet the expectations. I replied that I was ready for any challenge. He, then, gave me Nook literature to study and memorize and told me that he would like a second interview within four days. I scheduled mine for two days later.

The second interview was with the Digital Lead, and she essentially talked to me about the product to see what I knew about it. (Being a Nook owner already helped, needless to say.) I was definitely nervous because they had mentioned wanting to role-play selling a device to a "customer," though it wasn't nearly as difficult as it sounded. The second interview lasted about 20 minutes. I was told I would receive a call by Monday (this was Wednesday) letting me know if I got the position. I received a call Monday offering me a bookseller position which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Think of a specific time where you were dealing with a difficult customer and describe how you dealt with the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

At that point, there were no negotiations. The pay was what the pay was, given that it was an entry-level position.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (San Diego, CA) in August 2009.

Interview

Group interview at first with 7 other candidates, then one on one with store manager. They looked more for outgoing people instead of book knowledge. Focus was on digital products and sales techniques.

Interview Questions

• Is a bookstore more like a library or grocery store?   1 Answer

Negotiation

there was no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Troy, MI) in August 2012.

Interview

Application will be put into a stack of others until a mass hiring is needed within the store (which can be often if the particular store has high turn over rate like mine did). Turn over rate is not entirely about employees finding better opportunities, rather if they have the resolve to deal with workplace problems.

First interview is a phone interview. This doesn't last long and the questions are generic. Be honest and you should do fine.

The second interview is a face-to-face interview. You will meet with the person who is mostly likely going to be your head of the department you are being chosen for. However this is not always the case as the job I was going for was not the one I was interviewed for or got.

The third interview should be a store manager. However mass hiring is a quickened process so this may not happen at all like in my case.

Lastly there is a mass orientation to explain company values, benefits, how the store is run, what position you are getting and entering you into the system. Pretty laid back and straight forward.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a problem with another employee?   2 Answers

Negotiation

There was none. You got what you got or nothing.

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Rochester, NY) in September 2009.

Interview

The interview and hiring process was very pleasant, and very quick. I applied in person at the store, received a phone call that same week, came in for one very casual interview, and was offered the job just a few days later. The interview itself was very easy, with only one or two questions that were unexpected. It would certainly be helpful to review most-asked interview questions before going into a Barnes & Noble interview.

Interview Questions

• If you were helping a customer at the customer service desk, and then the phone rang, what would you do.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Youngstown, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Youngstown, OH) in August 2008.

Interview

Attended a big hiring fair at the store. Many applicants came, we sat in the reading lounge and were interviewed on-the-spot. We were asked about favorite genres, customer experience, how we would handle given situations. A big requirement is availability on evenings and weekends.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a dispute with a coworker and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Nashville, TN) in October 2011.

Interview

Very basic behavioral interview about how you work with others and how you have felt with difficult customers. If you answer competently the hiring manager will ask you about your availability and when you can start.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. How would you handle an upset customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

It was a very easy interview. I met with the assistant manager in a closet-cum-interview office, and he asked me a few questions about my previous experience, what I'm reading lately, and why I was interested in working at Barnes and Noble.
    Unfortunately, he told me that a nearby location was closing soon, and that they'd have to absorb some of the former employees after the holiday season.