Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 9, 2017

2.2

268 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Detroit, MI).

Interview

Applied online, was called to interview, didn't take long, everyone was professional. Was interviewed by 2 people, which I always think is a positive :) Was asked a variety of questions, some were behavioral but mostly straight-forward, availability, experience, why books, etc.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle customers who are not happy with their service?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

very brief. I applied online and got a response a day later. I was apart of a group interview with 3 other people. they asked each of us questions; mainly about what we would do in certain situations.

Interview Questions

• describe the difference between good customer service and great customer service   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jefferson City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Jefferson City, MO).

Interview

I received a call from an assistant store manager and went in to speak with her. It was a good experience. The general manager was out of town at the time, so I also spoke to another assistant manager.

Interview Questions

• Favorite authors and books? (It was over a decade ago, so I don't recall much.)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cortlandt Manor, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Cortlandt Manor, NY).

Interview

I handed in a resume and application at customer service. I got a call a few weeks later to come in for an in-person interview. The questions were pretty standard for a retail position. I had previous experience in retail. In another week or so, I got a call offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you've finished your assigned work?   1 Answer
    • What was the last book you read?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New Orleans, LA) in November 2017.

Interview

Position was seasonal. Applied on 10/30, received a call on 11/16. Quick phone interview, asking what I did on my old job. Met with the store manager the next day for a 1-on-1.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite book genre?   1 Answer
    • What motivates you to succeed?   1 Answer
    • How do you learn something quickly? Give an example.   1 Answer
    • What does sales mean to you?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about our membership card?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Lubbock, TX).

Interview

On-campus interview. Store manager went through resume and asked job specific questions. The process wasn't complicated at all and manager was pretty good at following up after the interview.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Basic questions about using g common sense and good manners to solve problems and handle customers. Book knowledge a plus. Prior retail experience helpful but not necessary. Show up on time and be yourself. And be positive. The hours can get long around the holidays and they want upbeat team players.

Interview Questions

• How would you resolve a conflict with a co-worker?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Interviewing at Barnes and Noble was an easy process and the Assistant Manager was very nice and our conversation was interesting. It was an enjoyable experience and easy if you are familiar with different books and authors.

Anonymous Employee in Coralville, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Coralville, IA) in October 2017.

Interview

I waited for ten minutes in the cafe for the interviewer to join me. He was unorganized, had no idea of my background or where I submitted my application, and took forever to get through his questions. He seemed distracted and uninterested the entire time.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of one time you had to change tactics to work with a coworker or customer? Be as specific as possible.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McAllen, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (McAllen, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Once I applied online, I went to Barnes & Noble in person to speak with a manager and let them know that I had applied online to work as Part-time Bookseller and had a brief conversation with one of the managers. After a couple of days, I received a call from the hiring manager who did a short interview over the phone asking basic questions about my availability. We soon agreed to meet for an interview the next day in the morning.