Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 14, 2017

2.2

255 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Basic questions about using g common sense and good manners to solve problems and handle customers. Book knowledge a plus. Prior retail experience helpful but not necessary. Show up on time and be yourself. And be positive. The hours can get long around the holidays and they want upbeat team players.

Interview Questions

• How would you resolve a conflict with a co-worker?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Interviewing at Barnes and Noble was an easy process and the Assistant Manager was very nice and our conversation was interesting. It was an enjoyable experience and easy if you are familiar with different books and authors.

Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Clifton, NJ).

Interview

Went in for short interview with manager (about 15 minutes), relaxed and casual, very easy process. Felt more like a chat about former jobs and what I liked and disliked about them than an interview.

Interview Questions

• What was a situation at your last job that you could have handled better?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I applied online, and got a call back after a couple of weeks. The interview was fast and easy. Two managers asked me very basic questions while I sat in the cafe on site.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Called for a group interview, got called a few hours after the group interview to set up an individual interview for the next day, and got the job offer and started the on boarding process within a week.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Group interview, answer basic interview questions, then pick out your favorite book in the store and "pitch a sale" to the hiring manager. If she likes your pitch, then you've got a great shot, hand-selling is important with book selling because it gets people to buy more than what they came in for which is where most of the sales come from.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable with hand-selling?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Only take online applications. No need to come into the store or call, just apply through the stores site. Managers will contact you if your resume looks good. You'll have 2 interviews before offered the position.

Interview Questions

• What is a time you had to overcome opposition?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Barnes and Noble   Answer Question
    • Do you have a membership and do you think you would be successful at selling them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Baton Rouge, LA) in August 2017.

Interview

The application and interview process were both extremely simple. I filled out an application and included my referring employee. I received an email response within the next three days requesting an interview. The interview was very brief and included an overview of the store's various departments.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

it was a straightforward interview, we sat in the manager's office and they asked me a couple of questions. The basic stuff like "what kind of books do you like reading" and "are you an organized individual". It took about 30-45 minutes, felt pretty short really.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a situation where you had to work together as a team"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palos Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Palos Park, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application through their website on a Wednesday and got a call the the following Monday from a manager. She asked me some questions about my availability and why I wanted to work at B&N. I scheduled an in-person interview for Thursday.

The in-person interview was short about ten minutes with some situational questions, confirming what my available and desired salary was, if I'm comfortable with sales, and if I'm familiar with their rewards program. She left to talk to the store manager, and then he came over. He asked me what I read and more situational questions, like how would I approach him if he was looking at a book. I asked him a few of my questions. At the end, he took my references, said that they would check those out, and I'd hear from them soon.

I heard back two days later with an offer! I just had to do submit a form online for a background check, and I have orientation next week. Overall it was pretty fast, about a week and a half from my application to the day I got the offer. The two managers were super friendly during the interview.