Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 28, 2017

2.6

44 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

it was a straightforward interview, we sat in the manager's office and they asked me a couple of questions. The basic stuff like "what kind of books do you like reading" and "are you an organized individual". It took about 30-45 minutes, felt pretty short really.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a situation where you had to work together as a team"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

It was a basic interview, pretty much like a conversation. Someone called me first to screen me on the telephone than I was called in for a personal interview. Both people I talked to were prtty nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thornton, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Thornton, CO) in January 2017.

Interview

Extensive interview. Have to interview with many people. Hard questions to answer. I was asked on the spot to sell the manger a book, and then thinking we were done, I talked to her about the book but she took that as ruining the ending of the book even though she already read it. It was kind of odd.

Interview Questions

• How would you make your co workers comfortable with you upon being hired?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

When I got to the store I asked for the person I was going to interview with, and I met with him and he said there was a mix up with times so that if I could wait 30 minutes and then my interview would start. It was a "little" inconvenient that there was a scheduling error and no one notified me ahead of time. The interviewer (assistant manager) was very nice and it didn't feel like a formal interview at all. He said there were set questions that he had to ask me. Questions varying from "What's your favorite book" to "Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a coworker or superior". He brought up their membership program and if I would be okay with selling it.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

They called me for an interview. The first interview was fairly quick, just asked about why I wanted to work there etc. I had a second interview another day and she asked about what I'm currently doing with my life, if I'm familiar with the membership program and what it does, what I see myself doing in five years...

I didn't get the job, but they were kind enough to call me and tell me that so I knew. It was a good experience for my first job interview (young and applying to minimum wage jobs), even though I didn't get hired.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the Barnes and Noble membership program?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied online, almost 2 weeks later received an email stating they were pursuing more experienced candidates. Not surprised, never had a job before so didn't have my hopes up that I would get the job

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online through an ad on Indeed. Two weeks later I got a call from a manager who asked me questions like: why B&N, what I'm reading, availability. We then scheduled an interview for the next day. At this interview I met with a different manager. She asked me situational questions and questions about my previous experience. This one lasted ~15 minutes. After, I was told I would be called back for a second interview. Sure enough I got a call the next day from a third manager (yes, we're on manager #3 at this point) to come back for a 2nd interview (I would consider this a third--the phone screen was like an interview in itself) a few days later. Manager #1 and #3 asked me the same questions manager #2 asked (good communication here, clearly) and also asked if I was okay with selling memberships. At the end of this meeting I was asked to provide references via email ASAP. It's been nearly a month since I applied and no offer. My guess is I will get a canned corporate email saying I didn't get the job. Unprofessional to say the least. If they were not interested in hiring me I would rather them be upfront.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carle Place, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Carle Place, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview was held in the café in the Barnes and Noble. The interviewer was the assistant manager, and established a pretty casual tone and demeanor, and having prepared using the questions from Glassdoor, the interview was pretty standard, and I fielded the questions with ease. She said they'd call me back in the next two days, but then two weeks passed and I got a notice that I wasn't being offered a position.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with disagreements with coworkers or supervisors?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Group interview in the basement, nothing too difficult, was one other person there, one person asking the questions, filled out a short questionnaire consisting of favorite book, times available. Interview process took about thirty minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Metairie, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Metairie, LA) in January 2016.

Interview

Was called one day when I couldn't reach my phone by a manager from the Barnes & Noble on Veterans Blvd in Metairie, Louisiana. She either kept telling me she was to busy to talk or just wasn't there and this went on for about 6-7 days. I called once a day usually and i showed up once hoping she would be available because I was in the area. I eventually caught her on the phone. Was asked a few basic questions maybe 10 minutes long. No call back yet although I seriously doubt I'll be getting one considering its been around a week at least or longer since i talked to her.