Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 12, 2017

2.3

242 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thornton, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Thornton, CO) in January 2017.

Interview

Extensive interview. Have to interview with many people. Hard questions to answer. I was asked on the spot to sell the manger a book, and then thinking we were done, I talked to her about the book but she took that as ruining the ending of the book even though she already read it. It was kind of odd.

Interview Questions

• How would you make your co workers comfortable with you upon being hired?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Columbia, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

Pretty formal, they parter you up with someone else who is applying to see how well you work with other, definitely loaded you with questions. So yeah it was pretty hard but I ended up getting the job so it's not impossible.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Duluth, MN) in March 2012.

Interview

Interviews are generally done in two parts, and will tend to utilize a typical interview structure. More difficult and penetrating questions will be asked after warm-up questions, followed by simple, personal questions to decompress any tension. The second manager is more likely to ask the more "difficult" questions.

Interview Questions

• You will be given a lot of general interview questions, from what I remember. Be prepared to answer:

- Why do you want to work here?
      - Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      - What are your best strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online through an ad on Indeed. Two weeks later I got a call from a manager who asked me questions like: why B&N, what I'm reading, availability. We then scheduled an interview for the next day. At this interview I met with a different manager. She asked me situational questions and questions about my previous experience. This one lasted ~15 minutes. After, I was told I would be called back for a second interview. Sure enough I got a call the next day from a third manager (yes, we're on manager #3 at this point) to come back for a 2nd interview (I would consider this a third--the phone screen was like an interview in itself) a few days later. Manager #1 and #3 asked me the same questions manager #2 asked (good communication here, clearly) and also asked if I was okay with selling memberships. At the end of this meeting I was asked to provide references via email ASAP. It's been nearly a month since I applied and no offer. My guess is I will get a canned corporate email saying I didn't get the job. Unprofessional to say the least. If they were not interested in hiring me I would rather them be upfront.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2009.

Interview

I walked in and there was a group of 15 people sitting at the table waiting to be interviewed w/ me. We all waited for the three managers to come in and then they had us say our names and something describing ourselves. Then they told us to go pick out a book and come back to the table. The head mgr. walked up to each of us and asked us to sell her the book. I was very nervous. There were people there w/ writing degrees and much older more mature adults that probably were more appealing than me. It could also be that they lost my application, twice. Organizational skills anyone? I had been asked to stay after the group interview and have a private interview. Which raised my hopes. She asked me about my work experience in previous job situations. How did I handle a bad situation? How did I make the customer happy again? The head store mgr. was very interested in money. Couldn't care less about books, it was all business and numbers for her, like most corporate management, I assume, but she was detached, ingenuine. It's too bad though, because I know childrens books really well and I would have been great in that section. Their loss. On to the next opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you provided excellent customer service?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (San Mateo, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for a job as a bookseller online and was called to interview within a few days. I showed up to interview at my appointed day and time, but the interviewer was not in the store at the time. There was a last-minute change in plans, so I interviewed with another supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions including what appealed to me about the job, how to handle difficult customers, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Baton Rouge, LA) in April 2017.

Interview

The process took one month from submitting the application to receiving and accepting the job offer. It involved one phone interview and then an in-person interview with fairly standard questions regarding customer service and previous retail experience.

I knew they would receive numerous applications for the bookseller position posted on their careers website, so I called the store a week after I submitted my application and resume to speak with a manager about getting an interview. They immediately pulled my submission from the stack of applications, read through it while I was on the phone with them and agreed that they would like to continue moving forward in the interview process with me.

My qualifications and experience earned me the job, but my initiative in calling the store to speak with management regarding my application got me the interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in a situation when you and a coworker are having a serious issue working together?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Received a phone call within three days of submitting an application requesting my availability for an interview. Interviewed withing one week of applying for the position. Hired in less than two weeks from the time I submitted my online application

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Barnes and Noble. Who is your favorite author? Tell me about your work history.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

It was a basic interview, pretty much like a conversation. Someone called me first to screen me on the telephone than I was called in for a personal interview. Both people I talked to were prtty nice.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (San Jose, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Interview process was fairly fast and fairly easy. They asked me about my customer service experience and what I did at my last job. Also go over the job detail.