Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 12, 2017

2.3

242 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Memphis, TN) in May 2017.

Interview

Very easy, basic retail questions like what would I do in this situation. Asked about my previous retail experience and how that would help in this job. Everyone was easy to talk to

Interview Questions

• How I would approach a customer that wanted suggestions on a book   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (San Mateo, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied for a job as a bookseller online and was called to interview within a few days. I showed up to interview at my appointed day and time, but the interviewer was not in the store at the time. There was a last-minute change in plans, so I interviewed with another supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions including what appealed to me about the job, how to handle difficult customers, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Baton Rouge, LA) in April 2017.

Interview

The process took one month from submitting the application to receiving and accepting the job offer. It involved one phone interview and then an in-person interview with fairly standard questions regarding customer service and previous retail experience.

I knew they would receive numerous applications for the bookseller position posted on their careers website, so I called the store a week after I submitted my application and resume to speak with a manager about getting an interview. They immediately pulled my submission from the stack of applications, read through it while I was on the phone with them and agreed that they would like to continue moving forward in the interview process with me.

My qualifications and experience earned me the job, but my initiative in calling the store to speak with management regarding my application got me the interview.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in a situation when you and a coworker are having a serious issue working together?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Macon, GA).

Interview

I applied online and I was contacted about a week later. I had a breif phone interview with an assistant store manager. She then asked me to come in for a face-to-face interview. I was interviewed by two managers. The first manager asked me situational questions. The second manager asked me general interview questions. I did a background check the same day and was contacted the next day offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult customers?   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Tysons Corner, VA).

Interview

I came in for my first interview that was with one of the store's merchandise managers. It went really well, and right after he asked if I could stay for another interview with one of the higher up managers. I said yes. After, I was told informally that I had the job. Really positive experience

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a situation in which there was a problem that had to be solved, and what was your method of solution?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2015.

Interview

Was called after I was referred by another employee and I sent in my application. Interviewed with one of the hiring managers and then talked with the store manager when I was told I was hired.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Received a phone call within three days of submitting an application requesting my availability for an interview. Interviewed withing one week of applying for the position. Hired in less than two weeks from the time I submitted my online application

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Barnes and Noble. Who is your favorite author? Tell me about your work history.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

The interview was nice and simple. I just talked about some relevant experience, my interest in books and helping people. They start everyone out as a cashier, so be prepared to count a till for the interview. They go easy on you if you mess up though, especially if you have no experience, so no worries.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in a situation where you disagreed with your manager/supervisor?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oceanside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Oceanside, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied got called the same day for an interview the following week. Was interviewed by 2 managers, one was cafe manager. Given my experience working around food she really seemed to like me and essentially the interview changed from a bookseller interview to a cafe server interview. Got called the following week and offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you had to deal with an upset customer and had to diffuse the situation.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Process took several weeks from application to start date. Interview was structured as a conversation more so than a formal interview. Interviewed with two managers, was offered the position then had to do a background check.