Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Feb 10, 2017

2.3

Bookseller Interview

Interview

I applied online and I was contacted about two weeks later for an interview. It was a group interview with about 8 of us. We all were given M&Ms and were asked to describe different things about ourselves. Then we did a lot of role playing in sort of a improvisation type of situation. It lasted for about an hour and then we all were told we would get a call back the next day. Sure enough, the next day I got a call from the Store Manager and she offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• There weren't many job related questions because we played out those scenarios in the role playing that we did.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation was necessary

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

i applied online and then was called by a manager. She asked me a few questions about me, what books i like, nothing too intense. I made sure to have a smile in my voice, if that makes sense. She scheduled me for an interview. I attended and met with the manager, then with another manager, THAN with another. I was nervous but i got the job

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online through an ad on Indeed. Two weeks later I got a call from a manager who asked me questions like: why B&N, what I'm reading, availability. We then scheduled an interview for the next day. At this interview I met with a different manager. She asked me situational questions and questions about my previous experience. This one lasted ~15 minutes. After, I was told I would be called back for a second interview. Sure enough I got a call the next day from a third manager (yes, we're on manager #3 at this point) to come back for a 2nd interview (I would consider this a third--the phone screen was like an interview in itself) a few days later. Manager #1 and #3 asked me the same questions manager #2 asked (good communication here, clearly) and also asked if I was okay with selling memberships. At the end of this meeting I was asked to provide references via email ASAP. It's been nearly a month since I applied and no offer. My guess is I will get a canned corporate email saying I didn't get the job. Unprofessional to say the least. If they were not interested in hiring me I would rather them be upfront.

Anonymous Employee in Northville, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Northville, MI) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online, got a call two weeks later from one of the managers at the store asking a few interview questions like specifics of what I did in past jobs, availability, why I applied, etc. Then she said she'd have me come in for another interview at the store in a few days.

The store interview took about 30 minutes and was pretty casual--we sat in the cafe while she and another manager asked me more about my past work experiences and projects I was working on, and why I wanted to work there. It was nice to have two different people answering my questions about the company / store, too. At the end of the interview they explained the rest of the hiring process.

I got an email for a background check by the following week, which only took a few minutes to fill out. The first manager called me the next day to check I was still interested and got the email, and then I had another mini-phone interview. She told me which of my references they had contacted (3 of them) and they were still waiting to hear from the last one.

Two days later the store manager (whom I hadn't talked to before) called and offered me the job, and set up a day for orientation.

Overall I think 3 interviews (two phone, one in-person) and 3 reference checks were a bit overkill for a part-time minimum wage retail position, but the process was very smooth, and they were very friendly and awesome about communicating with me at every stage.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. I was told starting pay was $9 hourly, and all new booksellers start at part time. However, we did talk about the possibility of moving to full time / moving up in the company for a while.

Anonymous Employee in Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Spokane Valley, Spokane, WA).

Interview

Fun and informative; the process was very friendly and open with opportunities to ask questions and get to know the company. The interview began with the standard questions and then moved toward more personal questions aimed at determining personality, goals, and then just some fun questions to make us feel comfortable about the whole process! It was a very low stress yet professional situation!

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Newport News, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Simple interview. You interview with the store manager and department manager, at the same time or separately. They ask real interview questions (situational). So be prepared. You will sit in the cafe area. Dress causal. You don't have to be super dressed up. Smile and be yourself! They will ask about 7 different questions and questions about your availability. So hopefully you're open.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you made a mistake at work, and what did you do to fix it or prevent it next time?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Interview

Walked in for paper job application, was called a few days later. Very easy, casual. Took place inside their cafe inside the store. Prompt, was hired a few days after interview.

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Greensboro, NC) in March 2016.

Interview

Initial interview with questions about availability, questions about difficult customers, retail experience. Lasted about 30 minutes. Interviewer spoke about what the job entails, hours that would be received, and duties that would be completed while working in the store. Pleasant environment. The few staff I met were helpful when I arrived in the store.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carle Place, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Carle Place, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview was held in the café in the Barnes and Noble. The interviewer was the assistant manager, and established a pretty casual tone and demeanor, and having prepared using the questions from Glassdoor, the interview was pretty standard, and I fielded the questions with ease. She said they'd call me back in the next two days, but then two weeks passed and I got a notice that I wasn't being offered a position.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with disagreements with coworkers or supervisors?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Grand Chute, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Grand Chute, WI) in March 2016.

Interview

Manager asks very basic hiring questions including what your favorite author is. They seemed oddly desperate or just not familiar with how to interview since it was such an informal/easy interview. Interviewer did criticize my attire, citing it as overly dressy. I also had to wait at the customer service desk for the manager to show up after I arrived. I was only there five minutes early and they were over fifteen minutes late for it. We then sat at the cafe inside Barnes and Noble for the interview which took only ten minutes.