Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Cape Girardeau, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Cape Girardeau, MO) in February 2016.

Interview

Went through three interviews, including one phone interview. Each felt really laid back and allowed me to learn as much about the store as they did about me. I was impressed at how organized they were.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a mistake you made in your last job and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much of a negotiation phase, but I also didn't really try to negotiate since it was just a part-time job.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Group interview in the basement, nothing too difficult, was one other person there, one person asking the questions, filled out a short questionnaire consisting of favorite book, times available. Interview process took about thirty minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Metairie, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Metairie, LA) in January 2016.

Interview

Was called one day when I couldn't reach my phone by a manager from the Barnes & Noble on Veterans Blvd in Metairie, Louisiana. She either kept telling me she was to busy to talk or just wasn't there and this went on for about 6-7 days. I called once a day usually and i showed up once hoping she would be available because I was in the area. I eventually caught her on the phone. Was asked a few basic questions maybe 10 minutes long. No call back yet although I seriously doubt I'll be getting one considering its been around a week at least or longer since i talked to her.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

you get interviewed by two managers, they ask you about past work experience and general basic interview questions, they also ask what your favorite books are, and try to get to know you a bit. they're nice and don't make you feel intimidated or awkward.

Interview Questions

• they asked about past retail experiences and if your comfortable selling memberships to customers   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Usually two rounds of interviews with two different managers and the typical interview questions you would expect in an interview for any job. Usually takes place at the café in the store if ther eis one.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with an employee?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Town of Tonawanda, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Town of Tonawanda, NY).

Interview

I applied for the position online and heard back from them in a week or two. I went in for an interview and they had pre written questions, very thorough but easy enough! Then there was a second interview with a different manager which I was not expecting but a lot of the questions were the same.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online about 3 months prior to actually getting a call to come in for an interview. They scheduled the interview for later that week and let me pick a time which was nice. When I got there for the interview they had me wait in the cafe for a bit because I guess they were busy. After waiting around, I was taken to a back office for a 1:1 interview. The interviewer seemed really nice and friendly, asking some really basic job questions about my work experience and myself. Right after I was interviewed again by a different manager. This interview, however, was more of a "serious" and "lets talk numbers" sort of kind. I was asked if I would be willing to work all areas of the store (cash register, cafe, bookseller) as that seems to be a normal trend with Barnes and Noble from what I've seen and if I could meet quotas. (ie. I need you to get 3 people to sign up for a membership within the next 3 hours. That would be a membership an hour. Can you get that done?). It was a little bit irritating and it actually got to the point where I let the interviewer know that I am aware that retail is not just "Oh I get to sell books! Yay!" (that's paraphrased, I didn't say that exactly to the interviewer) but that it involves making sales and quotas a lot. Honestly, I have never worked retail before (but I know about some of it from friends who worked retail) so I wasn't exactly sure how to answer some of the retail focused questions. The interview ended and I was told they wanted to see other candidates before making a decision and would contact me if chosen.The first interview was much different than the second one. Right after that second interview, I didn't have a good feeling about getting the job. I was right. Oh, well.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage stress?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle a difficult customer? (or something around that idea)   Answer Question
    • What did you do at your previous job when you were having a slow day?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I filled out an application and, having worked in a bookstore previously, was called very quickly for an interview. I interviewed with an assistant manager, then the GM. Great store - great team. If I could live on their wages, I'd still be there!!!!

Interview Questions

• Standard stuff like: Why do you want to work here? What kinds of books do you like to read? Tell us about a challenging customer experience you have had? Tell us about working at (name withheld) the other bookstore?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a call a couple months later. On the phone, I was asked several interview questions, but apparently the person still scheduled an in-person interview. The in-person interview was very similar to the phone screen I would say. Honestly, I think they're making sure that the person they spoke to on the phone and on paper matches up with the physical person.

Hope this helps!

Interview Questions

• Q: What do you like about sales?
      Q: What's your favorite type of book?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hackensack, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Hackensack, NJ) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview was organized less than a week after I had applied. I went to the store location, the manager took me to the cafe area and we talked for about 10-15 minutes. Most of the questions in the interview were about my availability, why I chose this specific job, flexibility, etc.

Interview Questions

• What does working retail mean to you?   1 Answer