Barnes & Noble Bookseller and Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Bookseller and Cashier Interview Questions

Interviews at Barnes & Noble

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Scottsdale, AZ) in October 2012.

Interview

Pretty standard interview from what I can remember. Just dress appropriately (I wore khakis and a polo shirt and a button-up shirt and that was enough), be able to answer questions about your favorite books, show that you're competent overall, and you should be good.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Barnes & Noble?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Clifton, NJ) in August 2016.

Interview

I submitted an online application and was contacted for an interview about a month later. The interview was with a manager and then the Store manager. Both were pleasant, asked a lot a question and it was a friendly conversation. Overall a very positive experience. However, the only negative is that they hold their interviews in the middle of the Café surrounded by customers (teenagers, moms with crying toddlers, senior citizens barely hiding the fact that they're listening in ...) Zero privacy. I've seen this while a customer at other B&N stores, but never thought much about it until it was MY private info and conversation. There has to be a better way to interview candidates.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you've had the resolve conflict with an irate customer?
      Do you understand why we have sales goals and the importance of meeting these goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. They told me the rate before scheduling the in-person interview to be sure neither side wasted their time.

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Arlington, VA) in April 2014.

Interview

I had 2 separate days of interviews where I had separate shutdowns with 3 managers + my store manager. However, They were short, conversational & enjoyable and took place fairly casually sitting by the cafe, and etc.

Interview Questions

• What was something you had difficulty with in the past that you overcame, and how?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Detroit, MI) in December 2013.

Interview

The interview process took about fifteen minutes. It was a very casual interview, seated in the cafe. You sit down with either the Store Manager, Assistant Store Manager, or one of the Merchandising managers. They get to know you a little bit, ask you basic interview questions such as how you work with people, what you like to read, can you multitask etc. They start talking about how things work in the store and how many hours you would get and the general pay rate and thats about it

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Honolulu, HI) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied on paper. I got a call in a week I believe. Had a one on one interview with the General Manager. He asked a few simple questions. Offered me the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite genre to read   1 Answer

Bookseller and Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Process was really simple. I applied on a Monday and got a call back the very next week. Interview was very relaxed and laid back. I was offered the position on the spot.

Anonymous Employee in Folsom, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Folsom, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

I was called back fairly shortly after I applied and got an interview within a few days. The interview was very laid back and friendly. Asked questions as if you were talking to a friend, and I was hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Barnes & Noble?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

straightforward and easy didnt take long. Got the job on the spot. Asked me mostly on my customer service experience and how I handle difficult situations and my duties of my current job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Rockford, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a call back from them about a week later to schedule an interview. The interview was pretty easy, and the questions were straightforward and relevant. The manager asked me about my experience, my favorite book, etc.

Bookseller and Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2013.

Interview

The interview wasn't super long -- I would guesstimate around 40 minutes. It occurred in the manager's office in the back, and involved questions about my experience and interests. He asked me about my long term goals a bit and had a few questions about how I would respond to customers in certain situations.

Interview Questions

• What book would I recommend if the interviewing manager was my customer?   1 Answer