Barnes & Noble Cafe Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Cafe Manager Interview Questions

2.3

Cafe Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Easy but there were quite a few of them, 4 or 5. You better be reading a current book even though you are only in the cafe. Talk about upselling. Selling a loyalty card. Selling a credit card. Working with minimal coverage. Being able to complete admin work on the floor.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Cafe Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Easy it took place in the cafe so it was really casual. The interview was about 30 minutes and we talked about my skills and what I would bring to Barnes and Noble

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Online tool, then a manager with the Store Manager. After that was a phone interview with the district manager, then another phone interview with a cafe guru. C'mon i just filled this out so I could look t other jobs I'm interested in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holyoke, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Holyoke, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

3 interviews ending with the GM off the store. All three very professional and courteous strict adherence to corp. script. They seemed a little lost if not following the script. The second interview was with a manager who knew very little about the position. The last was very rushed an un professional

Anonymous Employee in Rogers, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Rogers, AR) in October 2014.

Interview

I had four interviews. One with the store manager, one with a nearby store manager, one with the district manager, and one with the regional cafe manager. Questions are open-ended and scenario based. Three of the interviews were in person, and they all made me feel comfortable and at ease. One interview was over the phone (with the regional cafe manager). I think they usually only do three interviews but our store manager was fairly new, so I interviewed with a more experienced store manager for a second opinion.

Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Winston-Salem, NC) in February 2013.

Interview

District and Store Manager met with me. Asked me many questions, including behavioral based.Was informal. Conversational. They were looking for someone who thought along the same lines as the company. I was able to also ask questions about the company. It was a positive experience.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Houston, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

I interviewed with the Store Manager first, then with the District Manager, finally the Regional Manager. There did not seem to be a standard question list that was used during any of the 3 interviews. The interview with the Regional Manager lasted the longest at about 75 minutes. The SM and DM had no clue about what kind of person they needed as made evident during the interviews. The RM knew his stuff as he had worked for Starbucks for a long time prior to working for B&N. I got hired because of my resume as I had a solid decade at Starbucks as an SM.

Interview Questions

• What makes you think you are a competent manager?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They made an offer, and I accepted, then I got a better offer from another company and told B&N they needed to give me more or I would have to take the better offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Princeton, NJ) in April 2011.

Interview

Resume was submitted online, heard promptly back from Assistant Store Manager. Had a short phone interview reviewing my qualifications and work history. Set up interview with ASM. Interview took place in the Cafe and seemed unorganized. ASM was extremely interested in previous job skills that would be helpful in these position. Lasted approx. 1 hour. Set up 2nd interview with SM. More of the same, general questions about job skills. Specific questions regarding what I could bring to the job, challenges as I perceived them.

Interview Questions

• Wanted to know what specifically I thought I needed to learn to be able to be successful in the position   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Mansfield, OH) in August 2008.

Interview

You first have an interview with the store manager if you are interviewing for a management position, then you will go onto a peer interview at another store, then an interview with the DM. Interview is very simple, not aggressive.

Interview Questions

• There are no difficult questions, they ask about your manager experience, situations you have dealt with. what kind of books you read, who your favorite author is.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really isn't negotiating, they base your pay off your experience and that's that.

Cafe Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2007.

Interview

It was a routine phone and in person interview. The regular situation questions asked.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I got offered the amount I asked for.