Barnes & Noble Cafe Server Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 9, 2017

2.1

70 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

It was a very relaxed interview. I met with the cafe manager first and then the store manager afterwards. We talked about what a day would look like working there and they asked situational questions about dealing with customers.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Tallahassee, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied online and they called me the next day to a phone interview. After the phone interview they scheduled an in person interview and asked basic questions. They then scheduled ANOTHER interview and after that one (the 3rd one) they decided they weren't going to hire me. The interview process is excessively long and annoying.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Tampa, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online and I got a confimation email shortly after. They called me within a week and gave me a brief phone interview the same day (they woke me up from the middle of a nap, but the questions were still doable), then we scheduled an in person interview. After answering a few more questions in person was offered a job on the spot and was told to go to orientation next.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle conflicts with other coworkers and/or a manager?   Answer Question

Café Server Interview

Interview

I applied for bookseller position, they called me for the bookseller position when I got to the interview it was with the Café manager. After the interview the Cafe Manager told me to come back for orientation, when I showed up the manager running orientation wasn't aware I'd be attending.

Interview Questions

• If a customer says the drink is wrong what do you do?   1 Answer
    • What qualifies you for this job?   1 Answer

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2016.

Interview

I applied and got a call for an interview a few days later. The interviewer was extremely nice and made the interview easy. It only lasted about 30 minutes and he asked typical questions and it was overall a positive interview. Then I heard back a few days later and they offered me the job.

Anonymous Employee in Deer Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Deer Park, IL) in June 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by the person who called me, the assistant store manager. Her interview questions were fairly standard, asking about my experience and what I was looking for. I was then interviewed by the store manager, who asked a lot of the same questions. I had to wait a week before being offered the job via phone call. The strange thing was neither of these people that interviewed me were the cafe manager, which was who I ultimately worked with.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you prioritize one customers needs over another.   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2016.

Interview

Whole process was very easy. Applied online Tuesday, called for an interview Wednesday, interviewed Thursday with the cafe and store managers, got the email for a background check on Friday! Really great conversational interview filled with the typical behavioral questions/scenarios.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a conflict with a coworker?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to teach someone something.   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Contacted for interview after applying in-person (it's worth it to apply in person - apparently the person I gave the application to thought I was friendly and recommended I be interviewed). Interview was fairly quick and low-pressure. The manager asked what my favorite drink was and asked me to sell it to him.

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Apply online, and if they're interested, they'll call you for a phone interview. After that, you interview in-person. Some stores may wait until the last moment to hire cafe servers (when they absolutely need new baristas) so you may learn that you're hired on the spot, at least I did. But you should hear back from them shortly, if otherwise.

Interview Questions

• What would you do in your idle time?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Frisco, TX) in November 2015.

Interview

I got a call from the Cafe Manager after a week since I applied and had a small interview over the phone for 5 minutes then she scheduled an interview in person with me the next day.

The interview took place in the actual Cafe. I was told to be seated at one of the table. After a few minutes, I got the first interview with one of the barista. She asked me questions on how to deal with customers, about my previous experience. I think having experiences in the food industry really help though. It took about 15 minutes. Then she told me to wait for a few more minutes to have another interview with the Cafe Manager.

The manager asked me more questions as she was writing down my answers on the paper just like the barista did. That time it was more personal skills and my abilities to deal with many situations. It took about 15 minutes as well. After the interviews the manager told me that they would send me a background check form and they would give me a call afterwards if I would be hired or not.

I got the email 3 days later and got the call from the store after another 3 days to go in for the orientation. Woohoo!

Interview Questions

• How would you resolve a conflict with a coworker or manager ?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about when you tried to sell more products to customers?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about one time you had to change your approach to a customer?   1 Answer
    • How would you fix your own mistakes?   Answer Question