Barnes & Noble Cafe Server Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Cafe Server Interview Questions

Interviews at Barnes & Noble

2.1

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2013.

Interview

I filled out an application online and was contacted by phone about a month later for 15 question over the phone pre-screening interview. After I passed the over the phone interview, I was contacted several days later to come in for an in person interview. I was instructed to wait by guest services and from there I was taken to the Cafe for a short interview and review of previous questions. It was a very relaxed interview and felt more like a lightly guided conversation. This may be due to my lovely interviewer though. I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Recent books you have read?
    Are you familiar with any of our menu items? Which is your favorite?
    Instance when you had to deal with a conflict between coworker or supervisor?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little to no negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in Ladue, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Ladue, MO) in October 2009.

Interview

I submitted an application and called a few days later to follow up. I was invited to come in for an interview in the cafe. The cafe manager was super nice, and she asked me to come in and interview with the store manager. I did, and that interview went well. A few days later, I was offered a job as a cafe server, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were typical interview questions, which anyone should be able to answer easily.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was unable to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Houston, TX).

Interview

Total of two interviews; first one with cafe manager in pubic environment, which was not high stress (rather lax in terms of interview). Second interview was with store manager in the back (manager's office) - this interview is much more rigorous and direct interview questions. You can tell if they'd like to hire you based off how the interview ends.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not very eventful.

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Miami, FL) in January 2012.

Interview

I had three interviews. Most questions were about customer service or how you react under stress. Situations were given, such as - what would you do if there was a long line. Or what would you do if a customer didn't like their drink. The interview process was overall casual.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with the stress during holiday season   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Vernon Hills, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied for part time work at the Barnes and Noble cafe. I had worked at the B&N cafe in the past: at the very same location I interviewed at this time. Several employees I had once worked with were still at the store, including a manager. I bring up these two points because you would assume that such things would make my interview process proceed more quickly and smoothly... but this was not the case.

I was interviewed by the cafe manager and the store manager at the same time. The cafe manager took copious notes on my responses to her questions, which served to make things awkward from my perspective, because she took a minute or more of silent writing time between each question.
    "Describe two situations where you provided excellent customer service."
    "Tell me about a problem you had with a co-worker, and how you dealt with it."
    "How have you gotten along with co-workers whose personalities are very different from yours?"
    "Describe a situation where you failed to provide good customer service. How would you improve on it, if you could attempt it again?"

Also, there were a lot of self analyzation questions, which are really obnoxious and tricky to answer, such as:
    "Name three of your strengths."
    "Name three of your weaknesses."
    "How do you think your friends would describe you?"

The cafe manager then told me that she had asked the other employees at the store about me, (those who would have remembered me from my previous B&N employment) and all had spoken favorably about me. Apparently that wasn't enough for her, because she also told me that she called the references I listed on my application. The interview was approximately 30 minutes of non stop questioning, which felt excessive. The cafe and store manager told me multiple times that things had "tightened up" since I had last worked at B&N, and that now I would be much more closely watched. They also said that up-selling was now a much enforced part of the job, and I would need to up-sell every product to each customer. By the end of the interview, I felt like I had been through questioning for a governmental position! And the parting thoughts: "You will be watched much more closely," actually gave me a creepy vibe! This was not the enjoyable B&N cafe I had once worked at! The cafe manager called me several days after the interview and offered me a part time position, but I turned it down.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you successfully applied up-selling.   Answer Question

The atmosphere of the store did not give me the feeling that I would be trusted. While I understand the need for up-selling, the manager implied that if I was seen completing a transaction without up-selling, I would be written up. If I'm going to work for minimum wage, there are more trusting, relaxed environments to work in!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Gaithersburg, MD) in July 2014.

Interview

Received a call to schedule an interview after applying online - took about a week. Interview was informal but pleasant, spoke to both the cafe manager and the store manager, each for about 15-20 minutes. Received an email in a few days informing me that they would be hiring other individuals. Overall experience was not at all unpleasant or difficult; though I was not chosen to be hired, I was not left bitter at all.

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Birmingham, AL) in March 2014.

Interview

Applied to work for the Holidays in November, got a call to interview in March of the following year because they were desperate for people. Had a phone interview, then came in for a face-to-face. The cafe manger didn't make eye contact with me half the time in the interview and seemed distracted by everything else around me as she loudly smacked on her gum.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation in which you had to learn something fast.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victorville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Victorville, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Filled out the online application and received a phone call the next day for a short phone interview and subsequent business casual, group interview at the location. They were a bit late in starting and there were 6 other interviewees there, along with the manager, assistant manager, and lead cafe server. We interviewed in what I could only assume was the breakroom. After a short business spiel from the manager of the store talking about the 3 positions available, we did small introductions and then we were asked to go out and pick one item from the store. When we got back we were asked to introduce the item and attempt to "sell" it to the other interviewees and interviewers. They deliberated privately in the manager's office for about five minutes and then returned and followed up on everyone's applications about time availability for working. They then told us that they would reach out by phone or email to each candidate for a 1:1 follow-up interview if we were chosen and then the interview was over. They conveniently held back three interviewees to do a little more follow-up on their applications. It's been over a week and I have not been contacted. Oh, well.

Interview Questions

• I guess we were just being tested on our selling ability during this interview. I read that they sometimes do this, but I had prepared for the cafe server position, not the bookseller position. Apparently, they cross-train all employees at Barnes & Noble so that any employee can fill in if another calls in sick or any other emergency.   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I applied online for the Cafe Server position (PT). I was called within 3 days for an interview. The interview lasted about 30 mins as I was also interviewed by the Associate Manager. They said usually they call an applicant back for the second interview, but I was told they really needed workers very soon. I was sent an e-mail the next day with a background check request, which I filled out immediately. I heard back from them on Friday (interviewed on Wednesday) and was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions asked about how you handled certain situations at other jobs (i.e. what kind of conflicts have you had with your peer/co-worker and how did you handle/solve that conflict). The Associate Manager also asked "What question did you expect us to ask, that you prepared for, but we did not ask?" I said "I expected to be asked, 'What is your favorite book?'" Which she then asked.   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was called the next day to schedule an interview the following week after a very brief phone interview to make sure I fit the position needs. I know this normally isn't the case but I'm sure it depends on the timing, I know I normally would not be the first called because I have little to no paid work history. I arrived about five minutes early for the interview and was offered a drink which was used later in the interview. I was interviewed by the Cafe manager and the questions were fairly easy, a lot of them being situational (i.e. asking how I would handle stressful situations and how I would work with a team or build relationships with others on a team). After the interview with the cafe manager, the store manager came and asked me a lot of similar questions also about teamwork and my volunteer work because I had very little work history. One of the questions was also about how I fixed a mistake I made. I was also asked for references so make sure you have some ready! My people told me they actually did check in just to make sure I wasn't lying about my volunteer stuff. I got a call two days after my initial interview offering the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• What Is your coffee experience?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much to negotiate because this is my first job