Barnes & Noble College Bookstores Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

1.7

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oxford, MS

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (Oxford, MS) in May 2017.

Interview

Got a call and scheduled an interview. Lasted about 10 minutes. She asked me about 4-5 very easy questions. Mostly just seeing if I could communicate and convey understandable answers.

Interview Questions

• What is a situation when you were working with a team and you wanted to do things one way and someone else was set on doing it their way. How would you resolve this?   1 Answer

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got an email back about a day later. Set up an interview, met the manager, and started planning my schedule. Overall it was a very fast and easy process.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

Interview was an easy process with lots to disscuss. The conversation flowed nicely and it was enjoyable. It helped get a feel for the manager hiring and the other employees.

Book Seller Interview

Interview

My interview was over the phone and took maybe fifteen minutes. I honostly didn't think it was the interview, but after that I was scheduled for training.
      Training is paid, and takes maybe an hour or two. Radford bookstore is very laid back with wonderful management. Highly recommend for a starting college student.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

This is just a temp job for between semesters. Expect only 7.50 or so.

Temporary Bookseller - Texbooks Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online on for a Temporary Bookseller at my university in December 30th and received an email on January 10 asking me to come in for an interview. When I came in for the interview, the supervisor who was conducting my interview was busy helping a customer because the semester just started and a lot of students were purchasing their textbooks. I finally get the chance to speak to her and all she asks is for my availability and do I have employment verification documents. She then tells me to come back 30 minutes later for the paid orientation. It took me about 1 minute to be hired. Although I will say since this is my first time working retail, I still have to get used to standing and stocking for hours on end.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Alert them to your availability and also apply about 1-2 weeks before the semester starts because that is when they need a lot of people

Temporary Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores.

Interview

Told me to wait in cafe where I noticed other people waiting for an interview. Eventually, everyone except me was called. After waiting 2 hours I finally went back to the counter and asked for the manager again. A different manager who did not handle hiring interviewed me, and it lasted maybe one minute total. He asked if I could start training the next day, and I said no. I couldn't start until the next week. He said he didn't want to waste my time and they wouldn't be hiring me.

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (Fairfax, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was contacted via email by their HR and also a manager from the location I was interviewing for. I primarily spoke with the manager from the Manassas store location even though the one on one interview was scheduled to take place at a Fairfax store location. It was somewhat misleading, but I understood as she explained to me it was because she worked out of both locations. My only complaint is if they wanted a new hire for full-time hours they should follow through on it rather than sheepishly tell a prospective hire they really meant approximately 35-38 hours a week during the interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about working less than 40 hours?

(The position was posted as full-time and the interview made them look dishonest because they weren't actually willing to give full-time hours)
      Answer Question
    • How important is to be a self-motivated person to accomplish a task?   Answer Question
    • Not a question - She invested too much time explaining a relatively simple job and took little to no interest in the person she spoke with.   Answer Question

Textbook/Web Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (New Brunswick, NJ) in August 2016.

Interview

Quick 5-10 min phone interview where the HR manager would as various questions about your resume and yourself. Very little prep is needed for the interview aslong as you are comfortable with speaking to a manager over the phone. There is a lot of flexibility for he/she emails you what time and day you would like to have the call.

Interview Questions

• Questions were used to get more insight about what you put on your resume and on if you could do the job efficiently   Answer Question

Cashier/Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in August 2016.

Interview

It wasn't even much of an interview. She had me sit down and simply asked if I had any previous cash handling experience, and then asked whether or not I would be attending the college the bookstore was for. She gave me an overview of the hours I would be needed, and I was hired right then and there.

Temporary Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (Denton, TX) in August 2016.

Interview

If you get hired during rush they just hire you because they need you asap. I applied online and got a call a few days later to do a group interview, when I got there I found out I was hired because I showed up. We filled out paperwork and then worked a few hours in the store. After rush we had to 'apply again' to stay on. Now I am a seasonal.