Barnes & Noble College Bookstores Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble College Bookstores Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2018

1.7

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in November 2014.

Interview

Face-to-face interview with Store Manager and General (Area) Manager, phone interview with Regional Manager. General Manager moved the time back by 30 minutes but didn't tell me--I showed up 45 minutes early. The Store Manager showed me some of the store processes as if I were already hired. The interview was easy--I asked a lot of questions about Loss Prevention, not realizing that it's not so highly emphasized here as my other retail jobs.

Audit Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in November 2015.

Interview

HR contacted me the day after I applied to schedule an interview for later that week and a second with the CFO only a few days later. I was told they were going to make a decision the next week so I was disappointed when after 2 months they sent an impersonal email saying the position had been filled. It's OK not to select me, but not OK to wait so long and be impersonal about it.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (New York, NY).

Interview

It was a group interview. They asked 3 questions to the group, one person after another, and I got called 3 days later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (Louisville, KY) in August 2012.

Interview

It was a seasonal position so it only consisted of basically a handshake and paper signings, I started the next day and began shadowing someone who sold books. I stressed about the whole thing but had the complete hang of things by the end of the day. An extremely easy working environment.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

i'm stoked man

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (Houston, TX) in July 2011.

Interview

I applied to the position through snagajob.com and was asked to come in for an interview about 1 week from the day I submitted the online application. I was notified beforehand that it was to be a group interview. When I arrived on campus, there were 4 other people I was to be interviewed with. The operations manager interviewed us and asked standard questions about work experience, service vs selling, biggest weaknesses and strengths, and situation type scenarios. After the interview, we were notified that we would be contacted on Wednesday if we were selected (interview was on Monday). I was called on Tuesday to confirm my availability, but no offer of employment was made. I was called again on Wednesday to once again confirm my availability. On Friday, I was called and was finally offered employment.

Interview Questions

• Where have you received the best customer service? Why was it so special?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in January 2014.

Interview

Submit application and wait a few days until they call to schedule an interview. At my place, they only call once so make sure you answer! Interview is not difficult, just be yourself.

Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (Woodbridge, VA) in December 2013.

Interview

Got voicemail from Assistant Store Manager about coming in for interview about a month after applying online. Called back a few days later and schedule an interview at a good time for me as well as him. Only one interview - was asked about 20 questions in regards to what I would do or what did I do in a situation

Interview Questions

• What did you do in a situation in which a customer or another individual yelled at you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation on wage. 100% negotiation on schedule!

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores.

Interview

Very brief, they just want to see how you are interacting with people and your availability. They are very laid back and make sure to tell you that you have to have closed toed shoes.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a customer who didn't return their rentals on time.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Interview

The Barnes & Noble College Bookstore hiring and interview process is very relaxed and laid back. Temporary positions only need to have knowledge of basic customer service skills. Training process is simple as well. Great company, but not a lot hope for temp to full-time employee conversion due to the high volume hiring during rush.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores.

Interview

I was contacted by phone and asked to do a face-to-face interview. The interview took one day and was very short and simple. I interviewed at the store with a general merchandise manager. The interview took no more that 15 minutes. The questions were very easy to answer.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was "What is your greatest achievement?".   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.