Barnes & Noble College Bookstores Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble College Bookstores Interview Questions

Interviews at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores

1.7

Sort:

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in November 2014.

Interview

Face-to-face interview with Store Manager and General (Area) Manager, phone interview with Regional Manager. General Manager moved the time back by 30 minutes but didn't tell me--I showed up 45 minutes early. The Store Manager showed me some of the store processes as if I were already hired. The interview was easy--I asked a lot of questions about Loss Prevention, not realizing that it's not so highly emphasized here as my other retail jobs.

Audit Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in November 2015.

Interview

HR contacted me the day after I applied to schedule an interview for later that week and a second with the CFO only a few days later. I was told they were going to make a decision the next week so I was disappointed when after 2 months they sent an impersonal email saying the position had been filled. It's OK not to select me, but not OK to wait so long and be impersonal about it.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (New York, NY).

Interview

It was a group interview. They asked 3 questions to the group, one person after another, and I got called 3 days later.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (Cleveland, OH) in September 2012.

Interview

I applied for the position in person, a couple days later I got a call from the store manager and scheduled an interview, the interview was one on one, the interview went great and I was called the next day to come in and start the hiring process. For the hiring process I was in a group with other new hires and we all filled out the same forms.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all pretty standard interview questions such as ; why do you want to work for us? What are your strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (New Haven, CT) in November 2010.

Interview

They asked about my experience in retail, and what book I was reading, and where I saw myself, before asking if I had any questions. Given that this started out as a temp job, the interview was short and to the point. There was no sense of an actual interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (New York, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

Applied online on a weekend, got a call next Monday and interviewed next Thursday. It was a group interview. Manager did her best to be all laid back and friendly. Questions were, in my opinion, just average considering it was a temporary position (they were hiring for the fall busy season). They included the classic what was the most difficult situation you managed and what would you do if you found out a employee/customer was stealing. She then went on and explained the company's policy. It was just okay. Not difficult but not too easy.

Interview Questions

• What's a good excuse for being late?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores.

Interview

Interview went well. I applied and got a call back within the same day. I had my interview the following day.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you received exceptional customer service.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in November 2012.

Interview

Apply online call back within a week to receive an interview. Store manager will spend aprox. 30 minutes sizing you up. You will most likely be asked to work on the spot, or not .

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (Louisville, KY) in August 2012.

Interview

It was a seasonal position so it only consisted of basically a handshake and paper signings, I started the next day and began shadowing someone who sold books. I stressed about the whole thing but had the complete hang of things by the end of the day. An extremely easy working environment.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

i'm stoked man

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores (Houston, TX) in July 2011.

Interview

I applied to the position through snagajob.com and was asked to come in for an interview about 1 week from the day I submitted the online application. I was notified beforehand that it was to be a group interview. When I arrived on campus, there were 4 other people I was to be interviewed with. The operations manager interviewed us and asked standard questions about work experience, service vs selling, biggest weaknesses and strengths, and situation type scenarios. After the interview, we were notified that we would be contacted on Wednesday if we were selected (interview was on Monday). I was called on Tuesday to confirm my availability, but no offer of employment was made. I was called again on Wednesday to once again confirm my availability. On Friday, I was called and was finally offered employment.

Interview Questions

• Where have you received the best customer service? Why was it so special?   Answer Question