Barnes & Noble Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 17, 2017

2.2

793 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Basic questions about using g common sense and good manners to solve problems and handle customers. Book knowledge a plus. Prior retail experience helpful but not necessary. Show up on time and be yourself. And be positive. The hours can get long around the holidays and they want upbeat team players.

Interview Questions

• How would you resolve a conflict with a co-worker?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Interviewing at Barnes and Noble was an easy process and the Assistant Manager was very nice and our conversation was interesting. It was an enjoyable experience and easy if you are familiar with different books and authors.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Princeton, NJ) in October 2017.

Interview

Got a call about two weeks after I submit the online application. Interview lasted 45 minutes or so, just ended up talking about previous work experience and study groups/clubs at college.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you made a major mistake and what did you do afterwards?   Answer Question

Seasonal Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (San Diego, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Initially I got called for a phone interview where they asked questions like why I want to work for Barnes & Noble and other questions pertaining to former employment that is relevant to retail or sales. I was told they wanted me to come into the store for an interview and to dress to impress. When I got to the store I noted there were a lot of other applicants and they had us wander around the store before they gathered us by the customer service and taken to the back room where the employees have lockers and a place where they can chill out during breaks. We had papers already set up on a table for applicants. The paper contained about 10 personality questions such as "Where was your favorite vacation? Why? Who went with you?" or "Who was your childhood idol?", "What is the earliest book you read? Why was it meaningful?" etc. From the questions you had to select two and answer them one by one. Under the questions was an availability schedule, which they said would be a high determining factor on whether or not you got the job. At the bottom of the sheet was a references list. In the interview room there were 2 observers, 2 managers writing down applicant's answers, and 1 interviewer who asked the group the questions. After having filled the sheet and answering your selected questions the interviewer began to ask questions that were all about sales, questions that you had to think on your feet. Lastly, they had the applicants go out into the store and choose an item that they could easily sell to a customer.
    Quite frankly, I think this interview was way too difficult for a seasonal position. It would have been okay if this was for a regular full-time position, but not for seasonal. Also, they do call the references so make sure all are ready for phone calls.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you to do sales?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time where you changed your suggestion approach to a customer?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you went out of your way for a customer?   Answer Question
    • Go out into the store and choose an item you'd sell without a problem to a customer. What would you bundle it with?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Got a phone call saying I was a candidate for the position and they were holding open interviews one day and to come in anytime within a two hour period. I got there and waited until the person before me was done. There was a casual one on one interview in the store, and I was offered the position on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Will you be okay with memorizing recipes, etc.? Give me an example   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Coralville, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Coralville, IA) in October 2017.

Interview

I waited for ten minutes in the cafe for the interviewer to join me. He was unorganized, had no idea of my background or where I submitted my application, and took forever to get through his questions. He seemed distracted and uninterested the entire time.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of one time you had to change tactics to work with a coworker or customer? Be as specific as possible.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Clifton, NJ).

Interview

Went in for short interview with manager (about 15 minutes), relaxed and casual, very easy process. Felt more like a chat about former jobs and what I liked and disliked about them than an interview.

Interview Questions

• What was a situation at your last job that you could have handled better?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I applied online, and got a call back after a couple of weeks. The interview was fast and easy. Two managers asked me very basic questions while I sat in the cafe on site.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Long Beach, CA).

Interview

Was an open group interview. Had about 70+ people interviewed all at once. We were supposed to all grab an item from Barnes and Nobles and describe the item to someone in a way that would convince them to buy it. Too many people for this kind of interview. You barely had no chance at all unless you had enough previous experience beforehand.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Newport News, VA).

Interview

Two interviews. One with the store manager and one of the assistant managers. The second interview with the Cafe manager and Cafe lead. Everyone was friendly. I dressed in business casual clothing. I recommend smiling often (not in a crazy way though), and just over all seeming like a pleasant person to work with (as I'm sure is the case).

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical: If a customer is making a mess of the store (or just being a poorly behaved person), what should you do?   Answer Question