Barnes & Noble Barista; Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Barista; Bookseller Interview Questions

1.4

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Manager was 30 min late to interview. I had to go and find him. The interview was about 20 min long. Typical interview questions. Asked if im reading any books. Asked for my refrences and was told i have to do a background check. He didnt call any of my references but i did do a background check. It took 4 days to come back and then i was called and offered the position. I was then told id be in the cafe. The pay rate was minimum wage so i declined. I have 2 years of barista experience so i refused t be payed so little.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Barista/Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was called in for a group interview. They had us draw something that described our personality, practice selling a membership, and practice selling a food and beverage. Then I got another call back for the second interview, where they asked basic interview questions. They liked me so they did my third interview the same day. They asked more basic questions and sent me a link for a background check. I was offered the job and accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to sell something to a customer.   1 Answer

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Interview

Called me over the phone, asked me questions like what my favorite book was, etc. then I went in for an interview and they asked me questions about different experiences I've had

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very easy, but it could also be due to the fact that they were hiring seasonal workers. The first "stage" was a group interview with five people (including myself). We had various tasks, such as grabbing a book and describing a review to a customer. They really liked it when I asked my "customer" if they wanted to see the book, so definitely get the customer's hands on items!
    We were also tasked with eating/reviewing items from the cafe. Find out which items compliment each other, or what items suit different palates.
    The second stage was a one-on-one interview. Very standard questions.

Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Exton, PA) in July 2015.

Interview

The manager greeted me with a smile and a handshake, and he offered to buy me a drink. Everyone was incredibly pleasant and welcoming, which was surprising to me. The manager immediately took me aside, admired my tattoos and asked some questions about my personal interest outside of my job possibilities. I assume it was to know if I could fit in well with the group. He asked his questions and there was personal details discussed.

Interview Questions

• Q: How do you handle yourself when you make mistakes?   1 Answer

Barista; Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Pretty basic. A lot of people quit on them and they were hiring a full house pretty much.

I got called for an interview, went in the next day, got asked a few questions about my availability I went home and then got offered the job the following day.

NO DRUG TEST! =)

Interview Questions

• Uhm the most "unexpected" question was "What's your favorite Starbucks drink?"

It was hardly an interview. I'm not saying it was a bad thing though. I actually enjoyed the anxiety free interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2012.

Interview

I was a transfer from the Quad Cities. The assistant cafe manager did the interview and was recently promoted to manager shortly after I was hired. Very professional, very thorough, and very kind. Made me feel comfortable and followed through very quickly.

Anonymous Employee in Grandville, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Grandville, MI) in November 2011.

Interview

Received a call from cafe manager who did first interview and then store general manager conducted second. Took approximately two months for them to call after application was submitted in store.

Interview Questions

• Are you flexible in your schedule?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Leawood, KS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Leawood, KS) in July 2011.

Interview

Interviews at Barnes & Noble typically take place in the front of the store in the café setting, which was nice because there were no awkward silences or long pauses without any sound at all like you might have in an office setting. Managers are typically interested most in your personal friendliness, your availability, and your willingness to learn and adapt. Being interested in books is a plus, but they would rather you be outgoing and ready to help customers than have your nose in a book. In my case, I applied as just a bookseller but they wanted to have me cross-trained as a barista, and in my experience cross-trained employees or employees who are willing to cross-train are much more valuable since you can offer your expertise in a variety of areas.

Interview Questions

• Do you like reading and books? What are some of your favorite books?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Columbia, SC) in July 2010.

Interview

A simple interview that was more of a getting to know you. Not the most rigorous screening process! Some basic questions and then scheduling questions. After that, we completed a training meeting and started immediately.

Interview Questions

• What's a situation where you were able to overcome adversity?   Answer Question