Barnes & Noble Bookseller/Barista Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Bookseller/Barista Interview Questions

Interviews at Barnes & Noble

1.5

Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Exton, PA) in July 2015.

Interview

The manager greeted me with a smile and a handshake, and he offered to buy me a drink. Everyone was incredibly pleasant and welcoming, which was surprising to me. The manager immediately took me aside, admired my tattoos and asked some questions about my personal interest outside of my job possibilities. I assume it was to know if I could fit in well with the group. He asked his questions and there was personal details discussed.

Interview Questions

• Q: How do you handle yourself when you make mistakes?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in Leawood, KS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Leawood, KS) in July 2011.

Interview

Interviews at Barnes & Noble typically take place in the front of the store in the café setting, which was nice because there were no awkward silences or long pauses without any sound at all like you might have in an office setting. Managers are typically interested most in your personal friendliness, your availability, and your willingness to learn and adapt. Being interested in books is a plus, but they would rather you be outgoing and ready to help customers than have your nose in a book. In my case, I applied as just a bookseller but they wanted to have me cross-trained as a barista, and in my experience cross-trained employees or employees who are willing to cross-train are much more valuable since you can offer your expertise in a variety of areas.

Interview Questions

• Do you like reading and books? What are some of your favorite books?   1 Answer

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Manager was 30 min late to interview. I had to go and find him. The interview was about 20 min long. Typical interview questions. Asked if im reading any books. Asked for my refrences and was told i have to do a background check. He didnt call any of my references but i did do a background check. It took 4 days to come back and then i was called and offered the position. I was then told id be in the cafe. The pay rate was minimum wage so i declined. I have 2 years of barista experience so i refused t be payed so little.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very easy, but it could also be due to the fact that they were hiring seasonal workers. The first "stage" was a group interview with five people (including myself). We had various tasks, such as grabbing a book and describing a review to a customer. They really liked it when I asked my "customer" if they wanted to see the book, so definitely get the customer's hands on items!
    We were also tasked with eating/reviewing items from the cafe. Find out which items compliment each other, or what items suit different palates.
    The second stage was a one-on-one interview. Very standard questions.

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Interview

Called me over the phone, asked me questions like what my favorite book was, etc. then I went in for an interview and they asked me questions about different experiences I've had

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Brief over the phone call and then set up an interview. Haven't gone into the interview yet but here are the phone questions. The manager was really nice and asked me the basic questions like why I wanted to work there, and what I liked to read.

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Greenville, SC) in June 2018.

Interview

I applied online last Thursday, received a call on Wednesday, and had my interview today, a Friday. It was a long, but otherwise easy and conversational interview process. I was interviewed by the store manager and the barista manager and they asked a lot of STAR behavioral questions that I nailed and also allowed me to ask the questions that I wanted to.

They basically said I was great for the job and that all they needed were my references and to get my background check and then they'll get back in contact with me for an orientation date, so I'm pretty excited!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Alexandria, VA) in January 2018.

Interview

Applied on-line, got a call a few days later, then it was down hill all the way from there. Met with the hiring manager who was ate for the interview. Just a few minutes, but late all the same. We sat in the cafe area, which I thought was awkward since there were people trying to read a study and our conversation seemed to be disturbing them. It was uncomfortable for me to be talking about sensitive things like my last salary etc....within ear shot of strangers. She asked me a bunch of prepared corporate questions. I answered everything appropriately. At the end she said we'd be moving to the next step and I'd e getting a link for a background check. I waited two days and the link never arrived. I called the store two days in a row and no one could tell me how I could reach the manager. No one wanted to take a message or help me figure out how I could get the link. So I assumed she wasn't really interested and was blowing me off. The following Sunday night, during the Super Bowl, I get a message only voice mail from her. She seemed to have no idea why I didn't get the link then told me she sent me on-boarding paperwork to fill out. I call her Monday morning because I can't get into the on-boarding link. I tell her I never got the background check information and that I had been trying to reach her for the entire week. She just said, "Oh yeah..I was out...." She promised to call me back in a half an hour. I waited for an hour and nothing. So I called HR myself and got the ball rolling. They re-sent me the link for the background check and I called the manager back four hours later to tell her I took care of everything.
    At the end of completing all the paperwork, I called her to find out what to expect next. She tells me she'd got time on Wednesday and Thursday for orientations. I tell her Thursday anytime would work. She then says, she'll call me the next day to schedule because she wants to coordinate times with other new hires as well. So Tuesday comes and no call....Wednesday, no call. Thursday morning, no call. At this point I'm sure I fell through the cracks. At 1:45 Thursday, she leaves me a voicemail telling me one of her associates was supposed to call me on Wednesday to schedule a time, but she called out sick. Then she asked me to pop in sometime that night for training. What? I didn't call her back and then she's calling and sending me e-mails every couple of hours. I finally told her I was no longer interested in the position and thanked her for her time. And true to her level of professionalism, she did not respond in any way. I turned down the job based on the lack of communication and follow through during the entire hiring process. At some points it was just so ridiculous I thought it was funny.

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

When I first applied, it was for two of the available jobs in the store. The bookseller, receiver, and barista positions were all open, but I only applied to the first two despite having previous barista experience. The only call I received was from the hiring manager, who only called to ask me why I didn't apply for the barista position. I explained that while I was trying to move away from barista positions, I would still apply. This was a mistake on my part. After turning down an offer for an interview as a barista, I was automatically rejected for all of the positions. As a recent graduate with a BA and English literature and with adequate references, I felt I should at least be considered for the bookseller or receiver position, instead of being shunted to a position only to fill it.

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Baton Rouge, LA) in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online and received an email for an interview 3 days later. Went into the interview and it went well. We mostly talked about my experience and why I choose Barnes & Noble.