Barnes & Noble Head Cashier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Head Cashier Interview Questions

2.4

Head Cashier Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2016.

Interview

I interviewed with this company twice. It's been over a week and I still have not heard back from them on if I got the job or not. While I was being interviewed twice, it seemed they were interested in me and very impressed by my past experience. I was even asked if I was willing to learn other parts of the store, which I happily said yes to. I was not asked for references or informed of a background check that would be done so I'm assuming I did not get the position. It would be nice if I was contacted and informed I did not get the position, even if through email. Very disappointed. I really believe I would have been a good fit for this company

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a stressful situation amongst two employees?   Answer Question

Head Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2016.

Interview

Received a phone interview about a week and a half after submitting an online application. General questions about my availability, why Barnes and Noble, and career aspirations. Was invited to an in-person interview.

Spoke with another manager in the cafe, where I was asked to 'sell' a membership and discuss customer service situations and solutions, new employee training, and personal work history. A few soft questions were asked -like favorite book- and overall tone was very friendly. Was invited to a second interview by phone the next day.

Met with a different manager in the cafe again, and answered similar questions to first interview. Emphasis on clarifying customer service and cashier training responsibilities.

Had ample opportunity to ask questions to managers about schedule, benefits, etc. Was offered the job a few days later, but I'd already decided to accept a different job offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you make new employees feel welcome and supported?   Answer Question
    • Describe a difficult customer service experience. How would you handle impatient/hurried/rude customers?   Answer Question
    • Describe an experience when you had to work well with others.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Columbus, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, followed by two in person interviews.
    Phone interview with Store Manager, in person with hiring manager, in person with General Manger & department head.

I applied online, got a call about 3 days later for a phone interview, I took the interview then & was passed along for a second interview scheduled for 3 days later. I was hired on the spot & didn't go through the final interview stage.

Interview Questions

• Role played with me trying to get the manger to sign up for Barnes & Noble membership.   1 Answer

Head Cashier - Beavercreek, OH Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beavercreek, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Beavercreek, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

I had applied on the 3rd and received a call on the 13th and scheduled my interview. I went in and was told to sit in the café. I met with the merchandise manager. Very sweet lady. The first question she asked was what books was I into. Great conversation starter! The whole interview last about a half hour. She told me that there would be a second interview if theyre interested. She said they would call in 2-3 days. Still waiting to hear back!

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had a dissatisfied customer and how it was resolved.   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked retail before? Ever during the busy season?   1 Answer
    • What was your beginning pay and ending pay at your previous job? How much were you asking for here?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever trained?   Answer Question
    • How would you get a new hire to feel welcomed?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Charlottesville, VA) in December 2013.

Interview

I submitted an application online. Then, I waited for a response. After two weeks of waiting, I visited the store and asked to speak with the manager about my application. Afterwards, I was asked to come back for my interview, which took place in the manager's office. The interview was very relaxed and enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• What is your strongest quality?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in October 2012.

Interview

Interviewed with assistant store manager, set up a date to interview with store manager a few days later. Casual one on one. Just smile, read up on some books before hand so you can talk about them, and that's about it.

Interview Questions

• Can you sell memberships? Name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Madison, WI) in June 2012.

Interview

Very standard questions and the hiring manager was looking for me to describe being organized and accurate when I spoke too much about customer service.

Interview Questions

• "What besides customer service is important for the head cashier position?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in West Dundee, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (West Dundee, IL) in August 2010.

Interview

Asked common questions but related that this was a professional workplace. Challenged me to sell Nooks and sell memberships at a 2% rate. I had two interviews, one with the store manager and one with the ASM a few days later. I would say you should have an interest in books and people, however you will want to show that you can also be a salesman. I promptly voiced concerns over a 2% membership rate but counteracted that this was a different market and audience than my previous job and that showed that I was a go-getter without over promising my abilities. I was hired as a potential Head Cashier, but doubt that I will earn to postion in the future. I remain a bookseller 4 months later. Overall it was one of the better interviews I have had.

Interview Questions

• Can you sell memberships and Nooks and how would you sell them?   Answer Question

Head Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied online. Received a call back 2-3 weeks later. Went in for an interview a few days later. Interviewed with General manager and assistant manager. A lot of questions regarding where I planned to be in the next few years and whether or not I would be an asset to the company. Received a call the next day saying I was hired.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. Usual interview routine.   Answer Question