Barnes & Noble Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.2

Marketing and Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

First they email you NOT a good fit. I have learned to change my nationality and reapply then all of a sudden they want to call you for an interview.

Interview Questions

• Why B&N, what do you know about them. How do you think you are a good fit.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thornton, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Thornton, CO) in January 2017.

Interview

Extensive interview. Have to interview with many people. Hard questions to answer. I was asked on the spot to sell the manger a book, and then thinking we were done, I talked to her about the book but she took that as ruining the ending of the book even though she already read it. It was kind of odd.

Interview Questions

• How would you make your co workers comfortable with you upon being hired?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Columbia, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

Pretty formal, they parter you up with someone else who is applying to see how well you work with other, definitely loaded you with questions. So yeah it was pretty hard but I ended up getting the job so it's not impossible.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Williamsburg, VA).

Interview

I was an internal candidate looking for promotion. Before interviewing, I did a one-week assessement in a training store. After "passing" that, the process continued. I did an interview with a current Store Manager from a different store, then with my DM, then the Regional Vice President and also a phone interview with the Regional HR manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to manage an under-performing employee.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Duluth, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Duluth, MN) in March 2012.

Interview

Interviews are generally done in two parts, and will tend to utilize a typical interview structure. More difficult and penetrating questions will be asked after warm-up questions, followed by simple, personal questions to decompress any tension. The second manager is more likely to ask the more "difficult" questions.

Interview Questions

• You will be given a lot of general interview questions, from what I remember. Be prepared to answer:

- Why do you want to work here?
      - Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      - What are your best strengths and weaknesses?
      1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2016.

Interview

I applied online through an ad on Indeed. Two weeks later I got a call from a manager who asked me questions like: why B&N, what I'm reading, availability. We then scheduled an interview for the next day. At this interview I met with a different manager. She asked me situational questions and questions about my previous experience. This one lasted ~15 minutes. After, I was told I would be called back for a second interview. Sure enough I got a call the next day from a third manager (yes, we're on manager #3 at this point) to come back for a 2nd interview (I would consider this a third--the phone screen was like an interview in itself) a few days later. Manager #1 and #3 asked me the same questions manager #2 asked (good communication here, clearly) and also asked if I was okay with selling memberships. At the end of this meeting I was asked to provide references via email ASAP. It's been nearly a month since I applied and no offer. My guess is I will get a canned corporate email saying I didn't get the job. Unprofessional to say the least. If they were not interested in hiring me I would rather them be upfront.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Seattle, WA) in June 2011.

Interview

Phone screening, then in person with another store manager, then the DM and Regional Manager all in person. Met in a store, then in the DM office then the regional manager in a hotel.

Interview Questions

• Behavior based questions. Looking for specific examples of resutls   Answer Question

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a call within one week. The store manager interviewed me in one of the cafe tables. He was very friendly and made me comfortable. He asked several questions such as: -How do you prepare for the unexpected? -How do you delegate work? -How would you determine which of two equally qualified candidates you would hire?
    Then I had another interview by phone with the district Manager and he asked more questions such as those.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you had to learn something new with very little time.   1 Answer

Children's Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spartanburg, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Spartanburg, SC) in September 2014.

Interview

I had 2 interviews and they said they liked me, but they had other candidates to interview and would get back to me the following week. When I didn't hear back I stopped in and asked if they had selected their candidate and they told me they still had more interviews and their computer systems were down. They told me that I would hear back Friday. I get an email Saturday night saying I didn't get the job. This whole experience has been a complete waste of time. They could have told me that day I came in or over the phone I didn't get the job and explain why. Email rejections to me are very vague and also inconsiderate. I will not be applying to anymore jobs with Barnes and Noble. They have officially lost my respect and they have lost me as a customer.

Interview Questions

• Why have you chosen now to apply for a job with us?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

3 rounds of interview. 2 skype interview and 1 onsite interview. They also ask about your personality. How do you work with team. Do you use Agile management? They speed up the interview process if you need to move fast.

Interview Questions

• They have the difficult technical test. You have to a good background in Data structure, search, sorting.   Answer Question