Barnes & Noble Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

2.2

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Stop by, fill out an application. If your lucky, get a call back for an interview. The manager who interviewed me preferred doing group interviews. So to stand out, one had to have good group dynamic skills and be charismatic enough to stand out in a crowd.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There really wasn't any negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Interview

After attending an on-site job fair for prospective employees, I expressed interest and filled out a job application. Subsequently I was called for a formal interview, then was called back again as a participant in final-round interviews with the store manager. The longest and most involved process of my entire career, for the lowest compensation of my entire career.

Interview Questions

• No question was difficult or unexpected. Everything flowed from the first question: "What are you reading?"   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

You'll meet and interview with at least three people. The store manager, the district manager and the regional sales manager. All interviews will be different

Interview Questions

• They are looking for a "sales" type person for this position even though they don't tell you that   1 Answer

Negotiation

Difficult. They told me the pay range and I ended up at the bottom because I didn't have any previous book experience. After three years of blowing my numbers out of the water they still refused to fight for me to get more money.

Lead Bookseller Interview

Interview

I filled out an application and then was called in for an interview. The lady who interviewed me was very nice in explaining what my job would entail and I was satisfied. I've been happily employed for over ten years at the same location. I would recommend working for the company to anyone who would like to work with books and meet and interact with intelligent people.

Cafe Server Interview

Interview

I was contacted about two weeks after I applied, over the phone. I went through a group interview, and then was called later for another interview. It was all pretty standard, nothing too difficult.

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Initially the interview was suppose to be a group interview but I was the only one he showed up the interviewer asked me questions like what kind of books do you read, what do you like on our cafe menu, why do you want tonwork for Barnes and noble, tell me a time when you make a mistake, how do you get people to trust you how to get people comfortable about you?

Interview Questions

• How do you get people to trust you.   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

About 4 months after I applied I was contact by phone for an interview. I met with the manager and an assistant manager a few days later to discuss my retail experience, tastes in books and music, and customer service skills. I was offered the job a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. A fairly laid back interview.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Interview

turned in application, received phone interview, and then face to face interview

Negotiation

management was up front about what could be offered

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applications are submitted through BN.com only. If you get an interview, you will first interview with an assistant manager, then the store manager.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a rude customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. predetermined pay rate

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

One on one interviews and peer interview

Interview Questions

• Everything was pretty straight forward. No trick questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.