Barnes & Noble Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 12, 2017

2.2

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Memphis, TN) in May 2017.

Interview

Very easy, basic retail questions like what would I do in this situation. Asked about my previous retail experience and how that would help in this job. Everyone was easy to talk to

Interview Questions

• How I would approach a customer that wanted suggestions on a book   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2013.

Interview

You get called about 2 days to a week in advance to schedule the interview. There, they get to know you a little and ask you questions about your interest in the job. When you go in, you tell the person behind the counter at customer service that you;re there for an interview. They'll call the manager on duty to let them know, and then have you wait nearby while the manager comes to get you. You'll make small talk as you walk up to their office or backroom, where you'll sit and interview with up to 3 managers, depending on who's available, and what position they're hiring you for. The interview can take anywhere from 10 mins. to about an hour, depending on your answers and he position you're applying for.

Interview Questions

• Is there a skill you're particularly proud of?   Answer Question
    • How long have you worked in Customer Service?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with -? (Could be anything, depending on your position. It's a scenario-type question)   Answer Question
    • Describe yourself as best you can. Do you believe you're a valuable asset to the company, and why?   Answer Question

Seasonal Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Las Vegas, NV) in October 2013.

Interview

I was asked what books I liked, then the manager decided she liked me and I was hired. Easiest interview ever. The interview process now it a lot longer because they now do a phone interview, in person and then with the store manager. Which is a bit excessive.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2017.

Interview

First, I had a brief phone interview with one of the Managers. He asked me some basic questions about my previous employment. Then, I was asked to come in to the store for an interview. Most of these questions were about how to deal with coworkers and customers. Finally, I was asked to come back for a third and final interview, where they asked similar questions to the previous two interviews.

Head Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newburgh, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Newburgh, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

A relatively informal meeting with the Assistant Store Manager in the cafe section of the store. She asked me if I had ever had to sell anything like a membership program before. I should have known that this would be basically the ONLY thing they care about in your job performance. She basically just grilled me about that.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to sell any sort of membership program before?   1 Answer

Senior Software Interview

Interview

Technical and easy, mostly on the key programming concepts.
    Some lead and management questions. Past experiences in handling technical issues..
    HR round was easy.. be prepared with basic programming questions.. and database concepts

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in February 2014.

Interview

I sat down with the Cafe manager, she was very friendly and asked me some simple questions. I dressed professional and she wanted to know a lot about my previous working experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a disappointed customer?   1 Answer

Children's Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Edison, NJ).

Interview

Initially there was a phone screening, then they asked me to come in for the first interview. In total I had two interviews, first with the assistant manager then with the store manager a few days later. In general they asked typical interview questions: describe your work experience, why do you want to work for our company, etc. Even though I had no retail experience that didn't seem to be a big issue, possibly because I had some experience organizing fundraisers.

Interview Questions

• Following up on asking about my favorite genres (thriller and sci-fi) they asked: why I would be interested in working primarily with children if my reading interests are outside of children's/young adult literature?   1 Answer
    • Imagine that I (the interviewer) am a customer asking for a recommendation, and you think your favorite book would be perfect for me. How would you sell me on buying that book?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Washington, DC) in March 2013.

Interview

Online application, interviewed with a SM then had a phone screen interview with HR, then an interview with DM, interview with SM and other ASM. This was a fairly straight forward process, typical of retail.

Interview Questions

• Usual behavior based questions - tell me a time when you provided extraordinary customer service.   1 Answer

Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hackensack, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Hackensack, NJ) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied Online, asked a lot of questions about prior experience – since this was my first job, I talked about experiences at school. TIP: You can say you love B&N/reading books/hanging out in the store, but don't let them think that you're going to try to sit around reading books instead of working.