Barnes & Noble Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 13, 2017

2.2

Temporary Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hackensack, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Hackensack, NJ) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online after seeing an in-store advertisement. In five days, I received a call from the store asking to come in for an interview the next day. The interview was held with only one store manager in their office within the break room. They had my resume & information online (although I brought hard copies). It took about 20-30 minutes. The first thing they did was ask my availability, then proceeded to questions. I asked a few questions at the end & they informed me a background check would be conducted. It was completed within 6 days, and I was called again by the store to inform me I'd been hired & to attend orientation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with someone.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to sell a new product.   Answer Question
    • What to you is great customer service?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had bad customer service? If so, explain what made it bad.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to shift your ideals to appeal to somebody else.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lubbock, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Lubbock, TX).

Interview

On-campus interview. Store manager went through resume and asked job specific questions. The process wasn't complicated at all and manager was pretty good at following up after the interview.

Textbook Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (College Station, TX).

Interview

Easy interview process. Phone interview then came in person to meet with the general manager. Pretty normal process. They worked with my class schedule to accommodate. Overall pretty straight forward and simplistic.

Interview Questions

• How did I handle conflict/ tough customer, tell me about it.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Basic questions about using g common sense and good manners to solve problems and handle customers. Book knowledge a plus. Prior retail experience helpful but not necessary. Show up on time and be yourself. And be positive. The hours can get long around the holidays and they want upbeat team players.

Interview Questions

• How would you resolve a conflict with a co-worker?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Interviewing at Barnes and Noble was an easy process and the Assistant Manager was very nice and our conversation was interesting. It was an enjoyable experience and easy if you are familiar with different books and authors.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Princeton, NJ) in October 2017.

Interview

Got a call about two weeks after I submit the online application. Interview lasted 45 minutes or so, just ended up talking about previous work experience and study groups/clubs at college.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you made a major mistake and what did you do afterwards?   Answer Question

Seasonal Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (San Diego, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Initially I got called for a phone interview where they asked questions like why I want to work for Barnes & Noble and other questions pertaining to former employment that is relevant to retail or sales. I was told they wanted me to come into the store for an interview and to dress to impress. When I got to the store I noted there were a lot of other applicants and they had us wander around the store before they gathered us by the customer service and taken to the back room where the employees have lockers and a place where they can chill out during breaks. We had papers already set up on a table for applicants. The paper contained about 10 personality questions such as "Where was your favorite vacation? Why? Who went with you?" or "Who was your childhood idol?", "What is the earliest book you read? Why was it meaningful?" etc. From the questions you had to select two and answer them one by one. Under the questions was an availability schedule, which they said would be a high determining factor on whether or not you got the job. At the bottom of the sheet was a references list. In the interview room there were 2 observers, 2 managers writing down applicant's answers, and 1 interviewer who asked the group the questions. After having filled the sheet and answering your selected questions the interviewer began to ask questions that were all about sales, questions that you had to think on your feet. Lastly, they had the applicants go out into the store and choose an item that they could easily sell to a customer.
    Quite frankly, I think this interview was way too difficult for a seasonal position. It would have been okay if this was for a regular full-time position, but not for seasonal. Also, they do call the references so make sure all are ready for phone calls.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you to do sales?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time where you changed your suggestion approach to a customer?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you went out of your way for a customer?   Answer Question
    • Go out into the store and choose an item you'd sell without a problem to a customer. What would you bundle it with?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Got a phone call saying I was a candidate for the position and they were holding open interviews one day and to come in anytime within a two hour period. I got there and waited until the person before me was done. There was a casual one on one interview in the store, and I was offered the position on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Will you be okay with memorizing recipes, etc.? Give me an example   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Coralville, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Coralville, IA) in October 2017.

Interview

I waited for ten minutes in the cafe for the interviewer to join me. He was unorganized, had no idea of my background or where I submitted my application, and took forever to get through his questions. He seemed distracted and uninterested the entire time.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of one time you had to change tactics to work with a coworker or customer? Be as specific as possible.   1 Answer

Cafe Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Edison, NJ) in October 2017.

Interview

It was fairly short, about 10-15 minutes. Interviewer was very nice and pleasant. The interviewer was not intimidating, and very conversational. I felt at ease, and questions were direct. If I did not fully understand, the question. The interviewer would ask in different ways; most questions asked were scenario based.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when, you had to stop what your doing to assist a customer? How did you react? How did you prioritize in that particular situation?   Answer Question