Barnes & Noble Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.2

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Phone interview, meeting with HR in person, meeting with the hiring manager. Everyone was inquisitive, friendly, and passionate about their role in the company and the opening. There was an appropriate amount of questioning about my background and contribution potential.

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

Interview

Applied online, quickly contacted for a phone interview (2 days later) with HR where we discussed my career history and qualifications. Invited for an in-person interview 2 weeks later where I met with a member of the team in the same role, and the supervisor for the role. All went well so the following day I was asked to provide several references of previous supervisors or colleagues.

The actual interviews were more of an easy conversation, and I learned a lot about what they were looking for in an employee and what I could expect from the role. Be prepared to talk in-depth about your previous experience and provide examples.

Interview Questions

• What was your least favorite aspect of your previous job?   Answer Question

Merchandising Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2017.

Interview

I met the Asst Manager for the first interview. That had many behavioral questions, then with the Store Manager who asked a few repeat questions, more behavioral questions and more about my background as well as my book interests, then with the District Manager. The latter asked me more about my background.

Receiving Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Responded to online notice, went through two interview rounds at a local branch (on the same day). Very nice people. Interview was a little about previous experience and about how you would handle certain situations. I was hired. However, the "agreed" upon (it was take it or leave it) salary was not honored, and was quite a bit lower. After a few weeks I hadn't heard from them, It turned out they had given the position to someone else! A few weeks later I got a call from another store manager that they had the same position available, but I had to apply again.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

one on one interview with hiring manager, asked generic basic questions pertaining to the position, laid back, friendly, business casual, don't worry to much about this, just prepare normally for an interview and review basic question that are asked. Good luck!

Cafe Server/Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

It was very quick and professional, but laid back enough where I wasn't nervous. I interviewed with the Cafe manager first and he was really nice and we even laughed a few times. It was basic questions like why do you want to work at Barnes & Noble and how would your friends describe you and things like that. Then I interviewed a week later with the assistant store manager and those questions were more situational; how would you handle a rude customer, etc. It was a good experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in the cafe and not in the store itself?   Answer Question

Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Really laid-back, I had my interview in the cafe and they asked me questions like "What is your favorite book?" or "How would you sell that book to a customer?"

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I dropped off my resume in addition to applying online. I was called a week later to schedule an in-person interview. I met with the assistant store manager in the store cafe. During the interview, she got the store manager to finish the interview. I was called a few days later with the job offer.

Interview Questions

• Favorite genre of books? Favorite authors?   Answer Question
    • Favorite part of the store?   Answer Question
    • Are you able to switch focus well? Ex: shelving books and then asked a question by a customer which needs your full attention.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone Interview - Basic / Resume questions. - Just screening and to clarify what was on your resume.
    In-Person Interview - Behavioral Question. - Basic behavioral question.
    Another In-Person Interview - Behavioral Question.
    Phone call to accept the job.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2017.

Interview

I received a phone call one day after submitting an application online. The manager stated that she would like to bring me in to interview the very next day. I arrived five minutes early to the interview. The manager took me to the back office and asked me about ten different questions, primarily focusing on customer service and my ability to get along with others. She was very nice and made the whole process seem very welcoming and organized. After the interview concluded, she stated that I would be hearing back from her soon. After two days, I received a call stating that they would like to offer me the job. I then completed a background check and was scheduled to start orientation.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?
      Was there ever a time you had a disagreement with a coworker?
      Why do you want to work at Barnes and Noble?
      Answer Question