Barnes & Noble Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Nov 21, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Clifton, NJ).

Interview

Went in for short interview with manager (about 15 minutes), relaxed and casual, very easy process. Felt more like a chat about former jobs and what I liked and disliked about them than an interview.

Interview Questions

• What was a situation at your last job that you could have handled better?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I applied online, and got a call back after a couple of weeks. The interview was fast and easy. Two managers asked me very basic questions while I sat in the cafe on site.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Long Beach, CA).

Interview

Was an open group interview. Had about 70+ people interviewed all at once. We were supposed to all grab an item from Barnes and Nobles and describe the item to someone in a way that would convince them to buy it. Too many people for this kind of interview. You barely had no chance at all unless you had enough previous experience beforehand.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Newport News, VA).

Interview

Two interviews. One with the store manager and one of the assistant managers. The second interview with the Cafe manager and Cafe lead. Everyone was friendly. I dressed in business casual clothing. I recommend smiling often (not in a crazy way though), and just over all seeming like a pleasant person to work with (as I'm sure is the case).

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical: If a customer is making a mess of the store (or just being a poorly behaved person), what should you do?   Answer Question

Community Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sharon, MA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Sharon, MA) in September 2017.

Interview

I interviewed for the position over the course of 4+ weeks. It was a frustrating experience, because after each interview I had to wait about a week for the next interview to be scheduled. I discussed my salary range expectations twice during these interviews and saw it written on one of the interviewers note sheet.
    I was moved forward after being very clear, but not rude, about my salary expectations. The offer B&N came back with was $20,000 short of what I was anticipating.
    The store manager admitted that she knew this was going to be a problem.
    I do not understand why Barnes and Noble would was 5 weeks and 5 different managers' time.

Children's Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Baton Rouge, LA) in September 2017.

Interview

Internal hire; Part-time bookseller promoted within home store. Submitted internal hire app via B&N Inside. An interview was scheduled about a week later with an Assistant Store Manager. Interview lasted approximately 30 minutes and was largely conversational. The Store Manager made the job offer the next day.

Interview Questions

• What do you believe is the goal/focus of the Barnes & Noble Children's Department?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Chico, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

More of a conversation than an interview - great environment, welcoming and positive vibes throughout. I talked to both the General and Assistant Managers, and both were cordial and sharp. Employee benefits sound great. Offered me the job at the end of the interview!

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bergenfield, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Bergenfield, NJ) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online and the next day after submitting resume I received a call to schedule a interview a few days later. Arrived at interview on time but had to wait 15 minutes before meeting manger. It was my first interview so I was nervous but it wasn’t that as bad as I thought it would be. Most questions were based around how well you could sell their products to customers, like memberships cards, books, and getting them to subscribe to their newsletter, and how well you would work with others.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had to meet a certain quota of selling products in your previous jobs?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal between a disagreement between yourself and a fellow employee?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had a problem between yourself and a fellow employee or manger? If so how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

PT Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Arlington, VA) in September 2017.

Interview

I met with two people for the interview and it was very conversational. They had printed out my online job applocation and used that to refer to. They were super friendly and gave me some scenario based questions. Not only were they checkimg to see my answers but I think they were trying to see of I would fit in, fit the culture, and if we woyld mesh well together.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Called for a group interview, got called a few hours after the group interview to set up an individual interview for the next day, and got the job offer and started the on boarding process within a week.