Barnes & Noble Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2017

2.2

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2017.

Interview

I received a phone call one day after submitting an application online. The manager stated that she would like to bring me in to interview the very next day. I arrived five minutes early to the interview. The manager took me to the back office and asked me about ten different questions, primarily focusing on customer service and my ability to get along with others. She was very nice and made the whole process seem very welcoming and organized. After the interview concluded, she stated that I would be hearing back from her soon. After two days, I received a call stating that they would like to offer me the job. I then completed a background check and was scheduled to start orientation.

Interview Questions

• What does customer service mean to you?
      Was there ever a time you had a disagreement with a coworker?
      Why do you want to work at Barnes and Noble?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online and then went into the store and talked with the manager several days before the interview. It just so happened that they were doing group interviews that Friday. I came to the group interview and there were four others there. We drew pictures, answered questions about ourselves and our availability, and what we would do in a selling situation. It all lasted about an hour and fifteen minutes.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Myers, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Fort Myers, FL) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied in store, was called the next week for an interview and got the job soon after that. So far it's been a good experience. Retail is retail, but at least this isn't a hard sell.

Bookseller Part Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Glendale, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online, got a call back within a week. Had a 2-hour long group interview because there were so many people. I got interviewed by three managers, they asked a question and waited while every person responded, so it took forever. Besides being the longest interview I've had to date, the questions were easy.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Riverside, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Took about almost a month for them to reach out to me to schedule an interview. Met with the manager and she asked typical interview questions. Asked some questions at the end about your favorite book and such.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thornton, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Thornton, CO) in January 2017.

Interview

Extensive interview. Have to interview with many people. Hard questions to answer. I was asked on the spot to sell the manger a book, and then thinking we were done, I talked to her about the book but she took that as ruining the ending of the book even though she already read it. It was kind of odd.

Interview Questions

• How would you make your co workers comfortable with you upon being hired?   1 Answer

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Reno, NV) in January 2017.

Interview

4 Step Interview:
    1) Phone interview
    2) Technical Interview (Phone) Corporate New Jersey Office
    3) Technical interview in person
    4) Interview with head of Reno Plant
    Interview process took over a month to complete, with very little communication after the process was completed. Each step required a degree higher of technical aptitude with each group. The New Jersey office was very pleasant, the Reno, NV IT department was very pleasant as well. All people in the IT department were very knowledgeable and courteous.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever worked with an IBM AS400 system?   1 Answer

Temporary Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manhasset, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Manhasset, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview where they had us fill out a question sheet. They collected the question sheet and went over each question with us individually, in a round-table style. They asked questions regarding favorite books, how you would sell a customer additional books, and if we were comfortable offering customers the Barnes & Noble membership cards.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite book?   2 Answers
    • How would you approach a customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Houston, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview. They made nine of us sit in a circle and then she would speak one question and each of us would answer that. They fired 5-6 questions.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to work here?   1 Answer

Cafe Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Raleigh, NC) in December 2016.

Interview

It was very casual/laid back. My interviewer asked me about what books I like. Then, we talked about past customer service experience. He also asked what school I go to, and what I was studying. Just basic interview questions.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite book?   1 Answer