Barnes & Noble Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Apr 26, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Willow Grove, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Willow Grove, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interviewer asked me basic interview questions such as why do you want to work here. They were nice, friendly and it was a low-pressure interview. I was interviewed by a manager. I dressed formally but others were dressed casually and it did not impact their hiring chances. Just to be safe though I'd recommend dressing formally

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?
      Do you have previous retail experience?
      Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online because they do not have paper applications. Everything has to be done online. Within a week I received a phone interview with the assistant manager. She asked general interview questions. After the phone interview I was requested to do two in-person interviews. The questions asked in that interview were similar to the questions asked in the phone interview.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

When I got to the store I asked for the person I was going to interview with, and I met with him and he said there was a mix up with times so that if I could wait 30 minutes and then my interview would start. It was a "little" inconvenient that there was a scheduling error and no one notified me ahead of time. The interviewer (assistant manager) was very nice and it didn't feel like a formal interview at all. He said there were set questions that he had to ask me. Questions varying from "What's your favorite book" to "Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a coworker or superior". He brought up their membership program and if I would be okay with selling it.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Met with store manager for a 15-to-20-minute interview. Asked to see my resume and asked a couple of basic questions (e.g. Why do you want to work here? What do you currently do?). Manager gave a little background of what the job entailed. Asked about my availability and stated starting salary. At the end of the interview manager told me that I'm a likely candidate for the job and will hear back from them once they completed all interviews and made a decision. Received a phone call the next evening stating I got the job.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite book?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Barnes and Nobles?   Answer Question
    • How would you approach/greet a customer who appears to need help?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, but from the looks of it, I really didn't have a choice and had to accept what was offered.

Cafe Team Member - Food Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online, and got called about 3 weeks later. (It wasnt exactly hiring season yet.) But overall the process went fast, especially because they call earlier than they said they would. It was intimidating, but went very well. Sometimes another manager would join in.

Cafe Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I applied online and received a call the next day for an interview. I went in and met with the cafe manager. The interview was held in the cafe so customers could eavesdrop. The interview was very basic and easy but I didn't like the awkward silences that would occur after each question as the manager wrote down my answers. I have experience working at Starbucks and my availability was good. I was called a week later to come in for a second interview but turned it down. My reasons are that they expect me to keep almost open availability for a part time job that is maxed out at 20hours a week with near minimum pay. The cafe manager said that store management wants to cap people off at 20 hours a week. While she was very nice, it was a waste of my time. Retail companies should be baiting experienced and good workers and keep the good ones happy to minimize turnover. I can accept low pay (its retail) or low hours or no benefits but not ALL three. Starbucks has low pay but they at least offer benefits. A company that tries to force all three downsides onto employees is not a company that cares about their employees. Given the nonexistent allure of working here, the fact that they want at least two interviews is annoying. I was only looking for a job for personal enrichment purposes but what they offered and revealed during the first interview was a major turnoff. As a part timer, you would only get a store and cafe discount. Which means the only benefit you get is giving part of your measly pay checks back to the company. No thanks.
    If you're interested in working here, offer very open availability on your application, read through the other Glassdoor interview questions and prepare answers, dress well (no jeans), and express your understanding of what good customer service means every chance you get.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Falls Church, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online through Barnes & Noble's website. Within 3 days, an associate manager called to do a phone screening and schedule an in-person interview. We talked for about 10 minutes, then I was scheduled for an in-person interview at the store the next day.

I first met with associate manager for about 20 minutes. We went over basic questions: "Have you ever had a conflict with a co-worker? How did you handle it?" "How do you handle mistakes?"

Then I met with the store manager for another 20-30 minutes. We talked about higher-level details, like marketing and production expectations.

Interview Questions

• How would you try to sell someone a membership?   1 Answer

Café Server Interview

Interview

I applied for bookseller position, they called me for the bookseller position when I got to the interview it was with the Café manager. After the interview the Cafe Manager told me to come back for orientation, when I showed up the manager running orientation wasn't aware I'd be attending.

Interview Questions

• If a customer says the drink is wrong what do you do?   1 Answer
    • What qualifies you for this job?   1 Answer

Bookseller/Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Manager was 30 min late to interview. I had to go and find him. The interview was about 20 min long. Typical interview questions. Asked if im reading any books. Asked for my refrences and was told i have to do a background check. He didnt call any of my references but i did do a background check. It took 4 days to come back and then i was called and offered the position. I was then told id be in the cafe. The pay rate was minimum wage so i declined. I have 2 years of barista experience so i refused t be payed so little.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was quite short. I got an email for an interview. The invterview lasted around 20 minutes with about 5 to 7 questions. After the interview I received my job offer and I signed it. They needed staff, so my answers didn't have much weight.