Barnes & Noble Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 16, 2017

2.2

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied directly on their website and received a phone screen in one week, invited to in-person interview with three employees in another week. Overall good experience. Seems like a relatively small team (finance) for a large company, and most of the people I talked to during the interview have worked at B&N for relatively a long time.

Interview Questions

• What was the least thing you like about your previous job?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

it was a straightforward interview, we sat in the manager's office and they asked me a couple of questions. The basic stuff like "what kind of books do you like reading" and "are you an organized individual". It took about 30-45 minutes, felt pretty short really.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a situation where you had to work together as a team"   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Was interviewed briefly over the phone, then brought in to interview with the cafe manager, an ASM, and the store manager. Also had to wait on background check and for my references to be called.

Senior Software Interview

Interview

Technical and easy, mostly on the key programming concepts.
    Some lead and management questions. Past experiences in handling technical issues..
    HR round was easy.. be prepared with basic programming questions.. and database concepts

Anonymous Employee in Palos Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Palos Park, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application through their website on a Wednesday and got a call the the following Monday from a manager. She asked me some questions about my availability and why I wanted to work at B&N. I scheduled an in-person interview for Thursday.

The in-person interview was short about ten minutes with some situational questions, confirming what my available and desired salary was, if I'm comfortable with sales, and if I'm familiar with their rewards program. She left to talk to the store manager, and then he came over. He asked me what I read and more situational questions, like how would I approach him if he was looking at a book. I asked him a few of my questions. At the end, he took my references, said that they would check those out, and I'd hear from them soon.

I heard back two days later with an offer! I just had to do submit a form online for a background check, and I have orientation next week. Overall it was pretty fast, about a week and a half from my application to the day I got the offer. The two managers were super friendly during the interview.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Reno, NV) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview process was extremely positive. I had two separate interviews, the first one with the cafe manager and the second with her higher up. I was offered a position on the spot after answering questions.

Children's Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Edison, NJ).

Interview

Initially there was a phone screening, then they asked me to come in for the first interview. In total I had two interviews, first with the assistant manager then with the store manager a few days later. In general they asked typical interview questions: describe your work experience, why do you want to work for our company, etc. Even though I had no retail experience that didn't seem to be a big issue, possibly because I had some experience organizing fundraisers.

Interview Questions

• Following up on asking about my favorite genres (thriller and sci-fi) they asked: why I would be interested in working primarily with children if my reading interests are outside of children's/young adult literature?   1 Answer
    • Imagine that I (the interviewer) am a customer asking for a recommendation, and you think your favorite book would be perfect for me. How would you sell me on buying that book?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Bloomfield, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (West Bloomfield, MI).

Interview

I applied online using their very simple web portal. I received a call back about a week later. Got an interview and was called that week to say that I got the job.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite book?
      What are some of your strengths?
      Tell me about a difficult situation at your last job.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2017.

Interview

First, I had a brief phone interview with one of the Managers. He asked me some basic questions about my previous employment. Then, I was asked to come in to the store for an interview. Most of these questions were about how to deal with coworkers and customers. Finally, I was asked to come back for a third and final interview, where they asked similar questions to the previous two interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Macon, GA).

Interview

I applied online and I was contacted about a week later. I had a breif phone interview with an assistant store manager. She then asked me to come in for a face-to-face interview. I was interviewed by two managers. The first manager asked me situational questions. The second manager asked me general interview questions. I did a background check the same day and was contacted the next day offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with difficult customers?   1 Answer
    • Why should we hire you?   1 Answer