Barnes & Noble Merchandise Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 7, 2017

2.6

18 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Milford, CT

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Milford, CT).

Interview

I went to an open job fair. I had a lengthy interview with the DM. A week later I had an interview with the SM. I was hired immediately and started 2 weeks later. I trained in another store for two weeks. Training continued in my home store.

Interview Questions

• How would you make selling memberships a priority?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online at the B&N website and then took in a copy of my resume to introduce myself. Personally, if there is a physical location for any job that you're applying to, I think it's a good idea to go to the store in person as well in addition to the online application. It makes you stand out amongst the hundreds of other people that also applied online. It must have worked because I got a call 2 days later for a phone screen and then asked to come back into the store for a one on one interview.

The f2f was two parts. B&N does a "peer interview" where you interview with someone either in the same position you are applying or at least a member of the management team. After that, I interviewed with the store manager. We sat in the cafe for the whole interview, which took about 1.5 hours. It was behavioral questions where you had to give examples of how you accomplished things and to get to know your work ethic/management style. They told me that they would get back to me early the following week.

When the Manager called the next week, she informed me that they went with an internal candidate at that location but that there was another location looking for someone in the same position. She offered to call them to give me a good recommendation which I took her up on. She called them while I reapplied for that location (you have to apply for each individual location you want to work at) and went to drop off my resume there as well.

The Manager there called me the next week to set up a face to face. Since I had gone through the phone screen and the peer interview, I just interviewed with him. He asked me to come back the next day to interview with the DM. I interviewed with her; more behavioral questions with a few more questions about my background.

I didn't hear anything for a couple of days so I called to check the status and see if a decision had been made. The ASM stated that they were just about to call me as they wanted to run a background check and she sent me a link via email. I filled it out and sent it off late on a Friday afternoon.

Early the next week, I got a call with an offer.

Interview Questions

• If you have 2 candidates that are equally qualified, how do you choose?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Offer was higher than expected.

Merchandising Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2017.

Interview

I met the Asst Manager for the first interview. That had many behavioral questions, then with the Store Manager who asked a few repeat questions, more behavioral questions and more about my background as well as my book interests, then with the District Manager. The latter asked me more about my background.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Irvine, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

After traveling from another state three times for interviews, I was offered the position and which I accepted it. I asked if I could get extra 50 cents then the next day they called me and told that they gave the position to someone else because they thought that I didn't want the job. I'm really glad that I didn't get hired because I wouldn't want to work for a cheap company that passes me up for 50 cents. I will never shop at their stores again.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions, why do you want to work for us, etc...   Answer Question

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

First there was a phone Phone screening one day after applying, 1st interview with Store Manager within one week, second interview with District Manager same week, then offered position. Hired. Reference and background check performed immediately. Salary based on experience. Very sales driven job.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a call within one week. The store manager interviewed me in one of the cafe tables. He was very friendly and made me comfortable. He asked several questions such as: -How do you prepare for the unexpected? -How do you delegate work? -How would you determine which of two equally qualified candidates you would hire?
    Then I had another interview by phone with the district Manager and he asked more questions such as those.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you had to learn something new with very little time.   1 Answer

Merchandising Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

i had two interviews. The first was a two hour interview with the Store Manager and an Assistant Store Manager. The second was a 45 minute interview with the District Manager.

Interview Questions

• They asked several times if I was willing to work nights and weekends.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Independence, MO) in February 2015.

Interview

The whole process, from submitting my application on, took about a month. Which is the only downside.

A week and a half after submitting my application, I got a call for an interview with the store manager, which was scheduled for the next week. A couple days after that, I scheduled an interview with the DM, which was scheduled the week after that.

Both interviews were your basic "tell me about this job" and "what would you do in this scenario" kind of thing.

A week or so after my second interview, I was emailed my background check form and they started calling my references. A little less than a week after that, I was offered the job at more than they originally said they would pay.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to relocate?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no need to negotiate. They came out of the gate with more than I was expecting for this position.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

Interview

After submitting application online, I was contacted 4 days later about an interview. Interview was scheduled for the following day with an Assistant Store Manager.

Arrived at location and checked in as instructed. Stood around for several minutes before was greeted by the ASM.

Interview was the standard "Tell me about a time..." That you exhibited x competency as a manager in your past. This interview lasted about an hour. She wanted me to stay for a 2nd interview with the Store Manager so I sat waiting in the café area for another 20 minutes. The Store Manager came and asked more questions. "What made you apply for Barnes & Noble?" And the like.

Will possibly be contacted in the next week and a half for a peer interview and district manager interview if they are interested. Will update review after those happen.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you delegated a project to someone   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Macon, GA).

Interview

Three scripted interviews. First with Store Manager, second a peer interview and final with a District Manager. After third interview the hiring decision was made and an offer by the Store Manager was made. No salary negotiation was accepted.