Barnes & Noble Merchandise Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Merchandise Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Barnes & Noble

2.6

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

Interview

After submitting application online, I was contacted 4 days later about an interview. Interview was scheduled for the following day with an Assistant Store Manager.

Arrived at location and checked in as instructed. Stood around for several minutes before was greeted by the ASM.

Interview was the standard "Tell me about a time..." That you exhibited x competency as a manager in your past. This interview lasted about an hour. She wanted me to stay for a 2nd interview with the Store Manager so I sat waiting in the café area for another 20 minutes. The Store Manager came and asked more questions. "What made you apply for Barnes & Noble?" And the like.

Will possibly be contacted in the next week and a half for a peer interview and district manager interview if they are interested. Will update review after those happen.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you delegated a project to someone   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Columbus, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

They interview you two separate times, each by a different manager. They are very friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed. They ask you basic interview questions regarding your experience. Most of the questions relate to your previous experience, but they also ask a little about your dedication to books.

Interview Questions

• What would you look for in someone you are considering hiring?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Macon, GA).

Interview

Three scripted interviews. First with Store Manager, second a peer interview and final with a District Manager. After third interview the hiring decision was made and an offer by the Store Manager was made. No salary negotiation was accepted.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a call within one week. The store manager interviewed me in one of the cafe tables. He was very friendly and made me comfortable. He asked several questions such as: -How do you prepare for the unexpected? -How do you delegate work? -How would you determine which of two equally qualified candidates you would hire?
    Then I had another interview by phone with the district Manager and he asked more questions such as those.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you had to learn something new with very little time.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Baton Rouge, LA) in November 2011.

Interview

Two interviews based heavily on technical skill and work history analysis. Was called by two different managers and came in twice. Then had interview with district manager, face to face.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to resolve a customer concern or learn something you didn't know how to do.   1 Answer

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

First there was a phone Phone screening one day after applying, 1st interview with Store Manager within one week, second interview with District Manager same week, then offered position. Hired. Reference and background check performed immediately. Salary based on experience. Very sales driven job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Columbus, OH) in January 2011.

Interview

I saw a posting online that BN was hiring for a specific location. It said to email your resume if interested. I got a phone response 2 days later to set up an interview! I really want this position! The interview went well, we talked a lot about my work history. Towards the end, she mentioned that she had a few more interviews and then she'll let me know.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Interview

group interview generally they have a job fair. You will get a better salary if you get brought in from the outside. They do promote from within but don't pay well. You will start at a small volume store and get moved around as you learn.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I applied to Barnes and Nobles a while back but never heard anything. A month or two went by and I got a call for a interview. I did two interviews the same day with both the store and asst. store manger, both female by the way. I was told they had a few other people to look at but would get back to me. A week later I had a invite for a background check via email but was not called about it. I did it anyways and sent it in. Two weeks went by and I lost hope, that Monday I received a call from a DM asking to do a phone interview, he was nice thanked me for my time and told me they would get back to me one way or the other. Another two weeks went by and I again lost hope. I was called this morning and offered the job, I guess they had a hell of a time talking to my old Manager for some reason and it delayed the process.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any really, very standard questions. They want answers that make it clear you understand the customers come first no mater what.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None, they offered me what I was looking for.

Anonymous Employee in Milford, CT

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Milford, CT).

Interview

I went to an open job fair. I had a lengthy interview with the DM. A week later I had an interview with the SM. I was hired immediately and started 2 weeks later. I trained in another store for two weeks. Training continued in my home store.

Interview Questions

• How would you make selling memberships a priority?   1 Answer