Barnes & Noble Merchandise Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Merchandise Manager Interview Questions

Updated Dec 18, 2016

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Irvine, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

After traveling from another state three times for interviews, I was offered the position and which I accepted it. I asked if I could get extra 50 cents then the next day they called me and told that they gave the position to someone else because they thought that I didn't want the job. I'm really glad that I didn't get hired because I wouldn't want to work for a cheap company that passes me up for 50 cents. I will never shop at their stores again.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions, why do you want to work for us, etc...   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

First there was a phone Phone screening one day after applying, 1st interview with Store Manager within one week, second interview with District Manager same week, then offered position. Hired. Reference and background check performed immediately. Salary based on experience. Very sales driven job.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a call within one week. The store manager interviewed me in one of the cafe tables. He was very friendly and made me comfortable. He asked several questions such as: -How do you prepare for the unexpected? -How do you delegate work? -How would you determine which of two equally qualified candidates you would hire?
    Then I had another interview by phone with the district Manager and he asked more questions such as those.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when you had to learn something new with very little time.   1 Answer

Merchandising Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

i had two interviews. The first was a two hour interview with the Store Manager and an Assistant Store Manager. The second was a 45 minute interview with the District Manager.

Interview Questions

• They asked several times if I was willing to work nights and weekends.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Independence, MO) in February 2015.

Interview

The whole process, from submitting my application on, took about a month. Which is the only downside.

A week and a half after submitting my application, I got a call for an interview with the store manager, which was scheduled for the next week. A couple days after that, I scheduled an interview with the DM, which was scheduled the week after that.

Both interviews were your basic "tell me about this job" and "what would you do in this scenario" kind of thing.

A week or so after my second interview, I was emailed my background check form and they started calling my references. A little less than a week after that, I was offered the job at more than they originally said they would pay.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to relocate?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no need to negotiate. They came out of the gate with more than I was expecting for this position.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

Interview

After submitting application online, I was contacted 4 days later about an interview. Interview was scheduled for the following day with an Assistant Store Manager.

Arrived at location and checked in as instructed. Stood around for several minutes before was greeted by the ASM.

Interview was the standard "Tell me about a time..." That you exhibited x competency as a manager in your past. This interview lasted about an hour. She wanted me to stay for a 2nd interview with the Store Manager so I sat waiting in the café area for another 20 minutes. The Store Manager came and asked more questions. "What made you apply for Barnes & Noble?" And the like.

Will possibly be contacted in the next week and a half for a peer interview and district manager interview if they are interested. Will update review after those happen.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you delegated a project to someone   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Macon, GA).

Interview

Three scripted interviews. First with Store Manager, second a peer interview and final with a District Manager. After third interview the hiring decision was made and an offer by the Store Manager was made. No salary negotiation was accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Columbus, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

They interview you two separate times, each by a different manager. They are very friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed. They ask you basic interview questions regarding your experience. Most of the questions relate to your previous experience, but they also ask a little about your dedication to books.

Interview Questions

• What would you look for in someone you are considering hiring?   Answer Question

Merchandise Manager Interview

Interview

group interview generally they have a job fair. You will get a better salary if you get brought in from the outside. They do promote from within but don't pay well. You will start at a small volume store and get moved around as you learn.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I applied to Barnes and Nobles a while back but never heard anything. A month or two went by and I got a call for a interview. I did two interviews the same day with both the store and asst. store manger, both female by the way. I was told they had a few other people to look at but would get back to me. A week later I had a invite for a background check via email but was not called about it. I did it anyways and sent it in. Two weeks went by and I lost hope, that Monday I received a call from a DM asking to do a phone interview, he was nice thanked me for my time and told me they would get back to me one way or the other. Another two weeks went by and I again lost hope. I was called this morning and offered the job, I guess they had a hell of a time talking to my old Manager for some reason and it delayed the process.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any really, very standard questions. They want answers that make it clear you understand the customers come first no mater what.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None, they offered me what I was looking for.