Barnes & Noble Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

2.3

74 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Children's Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Edison, NJ).

Interview

Initially there was a phone screening, then they asked me to come in for the first interview. In total I had two interviews, first with the assistant manager then with the store manager a few days later. In general they asked typical interview questions: describe your work experience, why do you want to work for our company, etc. Even though I had no retail experience that didn't seem to be a big issue, possibly because I had some experience organizing fundraisers.

Interview Questions

• Following up on asking about my favorite genres (thriller and sci-fi) they asked: why I would be interested in working primarily with children if my reading interests are outside of children's/young adult literature?   1 Answer
    • Imagine that I (the interviewer) am a customer asking for a recommendation, and you think your favorite book would be perfect for me. How would you sell me on buying that book?   Answer Question

Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hackensack, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Hackensack, NJ) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied Online, asked a lot of questions about prior experience – since this was my first job, I talked about experiences at school. TIP: You can say you love B&N/reading books/hanging out in the store, but don't let them think that you're going to try to sit around reading books instead of working.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Phone interview, meeting with HR in person, meeting with the hiring manager. Everyone was inquisitive, friendly, and passionate about their role in the company and the opening. There was an appropriate amount of questioning about my background and contribution potential.

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

Applied online, quickly contacted for a phone interview (2 days later) with HR where we discussed my career history and qualifications. Invited for an in-person interview 2 weeks later where I met with a member of the team in the same role, and the supervisor for the role. All went well so the following day I was asked to provide several references of previous supervisors or colleagues.

The actual interviews were more of an easy conversation, and I learned a lot about what they were looking for in an employee and what I could expect from the role. Be prepared to talk in-depth about your previous experience and provide examples.

Interview Questions

• What was your least favorite aspect of your previous job?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone Interview - Basic / Resume questions. - Just screening and to clarify what was on your resume.
    In-Person Interview - Behavioral Question. - Basic behavioral question.
    Another In-Person Interview - Behavioral Question.
    Phone call to accept the job.

Temporary Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manhasset, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Manhasset, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview where they had us fill out a question sheet. They collected the question sheet and went over each question with us individually, in a round-table style. They asked questions regarding favorite books, how you would sell a customer additional books, and if we were comfortable offering customers the Barnes & Noble membership cards.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite book?   2 Answers
    • How would you approach a customer?   1 Answer

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was quite short. I got an email for an interview. The invterview lasted around 20 minutes with about 5 to 7 questions. After the interview I received my job offer and I signed it. They needed staff, so my answers didn't have much weight.

Bookseller and Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Clifton, NJ) in August 2016.

Interview

I submitted an online application and was contacted for an interview about a month later. The interview was with a manager and then the Store manager. Both were pleasant, asked a lot a question and it was a friendly conversation. Overall a very positive experience. However, the only negative is that they hold their interviews in the middle of the Café surrounded by customers (teenagers, moms with crying toddlers, senior citizens barely hiding the fact that they're listening in ...) Zero privacy. I've seen this while a customer at other B&N stores, but never thought much about it until it was MY private info and conversation. There has to be a better way to interview candidates.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you've had the resolve conflict with an irate customer?
      Do you understand why we have sales goals and the importance of meeting these goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. They told me the rate before scheduling the in-person interview to be sure neither side wasted their time.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

They called me with some questions asking about my availability and why I wanted to work at Barnes & Noble. The caller was very friendly and very kind, taking time to listen to what I had to say. After I answered these questions they scheduled me for an interview with a manager.

Bookseller and Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

One on one interview. Great experience. Interviewer did her best to make me feel confortable. I'm a foreigner, good but not perfect english. She allowed me to take my time to answer the questions and did not show any sign of prejudice.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to Barnes & Noble? Do you have any experience at the cash register? How would you handle an upset customer?   Answer Question