Barnes & Noble Interview Questions in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 9, 2017

2.4

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. Phone interview, meeting with HR in person, meeting with the hiring manager. Everyone was inquisitive, friendly, and passionate about their role in the company and the opening. There was an appropriate amount of questioning about my background and contribution potential.

Merchandise Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

Applied online, quickly contacted for a phone interview (2 days later) with HR where we discussed my career history and qualifications. Invited for an in-person interview 2 weeks later where I met with a member of the team in the same role, and the supervisor for the role. All went well so the following day I was asked to provide several references of previous supervisors or colleagues.

The actual interviews were more of an easy conversation, and I learned a lot about what they were looking for in an employee and what I could expect from the role. Be prepared to talk in-depth about your previous experience and provide examples.

Interview Questions

• What was your least favorite aspect of your previous job?   Answer Question

Cafe Server/Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

It was very quick and professional, but laid back enough where I wasn't nervous. I interviewed with the Cafe manager first and he was really nice and we even laughed a few times. It was basic questions like why do you want to work at Barnes & Noble and how would your friends describe you and things like that. Then I interviewed a week later with the assistant store manager and those questions were more situational; how would you handle a rude customer, etc. It was a good experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in the cafe and not in the store itself?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone Interview - Basic / Resume questions. - Just screening and to clarify what was on your resume.
    In-Person Interview - Behavioral Question. - Basic behavioral question.
    Another In-Person Interview - Behavioral Question.
    Phone call to accept the job.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

The hiring process was quite short. I got an email for an interview. The invterview lasted around 20 minutes with about 5 to 7 questions. After the interview I received my job offer and I signed it. They needed staff, so my answers didn't have much weight.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

They called me with some questions asking about my availability and why I wanted to work at Barnes & Noble. The caller was very friendly and very kind, taking time to listen to what I had to say. After I answered these questions they scheduled me for an interview with a manager.

Bookseller and Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

One on one interview. Great experience. Interviewer did her best to make me feel confortable. I'm a foreigner, good but not perfect english. She allowed me to take my time to answer the questions and did not show any sign of prejudice.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to Barnes & Noble? Do you have any experience at the cash register? How would you handle an upset customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

Pretty easy, I applied on line at first, then recieved a phone screen interview, then was called in to the store and interviewed with two of the managers of the store, and was told they would check references and then received a call offering me the job about 5 days later.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you had to deal with something uncomfortable   Answer Question

Cafe Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Online tool, then a manager with the Store Manager. After that was a phone interview with the district manager, then another phone interview with a cafe guru. C'mon i just filled this out so I could look t other jobs I'm interested in.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Really quick and what you'd expect from an interview. Just sat down in a small office and was more like a personal conversation than an interview. Not too much pressure and the interview process was a lot faster than i'd expected.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite book?   1 Answer