Barnes & Noble Part Time Book Seller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Part Time Book Seller Interview Questions

Updated Feb 10, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Riverside, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Took about almost a month for them to reach out to me to schedule an interview. Met with the manager and she asked typical interview questions. Asked some questions at the end about your favorite book and such.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

The overall process was very simple considering other interviews I've done.

I applied online through Barnes and Nobles website, and made sure to introduce myself to the manager the next day. He had a quick talk with me, and a few days later I get a call from the manager for a phone interview. It was very basic, a book lover could get the job easily. I had stuttered so much through the interview and was shaking, the manager told me over the phone I wouldn't get an answer till the following week, however I went into the store a day of two after to get a newly released book and he comes up to me and tells me that as long as my back ground check goes through okay the job is mine.

I only had one phone interview and the longest wait was waiting for the back ground check to go through.

I was not really asked about my experience much aside from one question about if I know how retail works and what the job entails, ect. Most of the questions were about books and why I wanted to work at the store plus how I knew the employee who had referred me.

Interview Questions

• What book have you recently read and why would you recommend it?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work here?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Harker Heights, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Harker Heights, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Double interview by two separate managers. Overall insightful questions asked and very friendly tone. Questions were read straight from corporate provided paperwork and my answers were written down in a condensed version. First interviewer really seemed to care about my answers and how I would perform/fit in if employed. Second interviewer seemed just to be there to confirm first interviewers assessment and a bit in a hurry to get back to work. Both were nothing but professional, attentive, and friendly though.

Interview Questions

• Be ready to give them the name of the book or books you're currently reading and then convince them why they should read them.   1 Answer

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

After applying online, I was called by the hiring manager a few weeks later and we had a mini interview. I was asked what book I was currently reading, my favorite author, and why I wanted to work at Barnes and Noble. I was then scheduled for an in store interview the first weekday available. During the in store interview I was asked a lot of situational questions of how I would handle certain customer, co-worker, and supervisor situations.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a situation where you have had to sell a new product and your success with that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Avondale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Avondale, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

I came into the store and asked for the woman who called me for an interview at customer service, she took me to the back to an office, pulled out my resume which had a bunch of notes and stuff on and asked me questions about my work experience and why I left and why I wanted to work at B&N. It felt more like a conversation. She also asked me how I felt about selling memberships, which I was used to from my past job. Interview lasted about 20 minutes and then she scheduled me for a second interview the next day. The next one was with the actual manager and it was much shorter. He asked my favorite author and how I would approach a guest and stuff, and talked about the benefits and a bit about the memberships sales, and then he told me this meeting was just to make sure they wanted to hire me and offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• What are you reading right now (and who would you sell this to)?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a customer complaint.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Willow Grove, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Willow Grove, PA) in October 2016.

Interview

The interviewer asked me basic interview questions such as why do you want to work here. They were nice, friendly and it was a low-pressure interview. I was interviewed by a manager. I dressed formally but others were dressed casually and it did not impact their hiring chances. Just to be safe though I'd recommend dressing formally

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?
      Do you have previous retail experience?
      Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2016.

Interview

I applied online because they do not have paper applications. Everything has to be done online. Within a week I received a phone interview with the assistant manager. She asked general interview questions. After the phone interview I was requested to do two in-person interviews. The questions asked in that interview were similar to the questions asked in the phone interview.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Met with store manager for a 15-to-20-minute interview. Asked to see my resume and asked a couple of basic questions (e.g. Why do you want to work here? What do you currently do?). Manager gave a little background of what the job entailed. Asked about my availability and stated starting salary. At the end of the interview manager told me that I'm a likely candidate for the job and will hear back from them once they completed all interviews and made a decision. Received a phone call the next evening stating I got the job.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite book?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Barnes and Nobles?   Answer Question
    • How would you approach/greet a customer who appears to need help?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate, but from the looks of it, I really didn't have a choice and had to accept what was offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Falls Church, VA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online through Barnes & Noble's website. Within 3 days, an associate manager called to do a phone screening and schedule an in-person interview. We talked for about 10 minutes, then I was scheduled for an in-person interview at the store the next day.

I first met with associate manager for about 20 minutes. We went over basic questions: "Have you ever had a conflict with a co-worker? How did you handle it?" "How do you handle mistakes?"

Then I met with the store manager for another 20-30 minutes. We talked about higher-level details, like marketing and production expectations.

Interview Questions

• How would you try to sell someone a membership?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Boulder, CO) in August 2016.

Interview

I had three interviews, each time with a different manager. These managers were very easy to talk to, and gave me a great impression of the store. The interviews were like conversations, and the managers gave me plenty of time to respond and think about the questions. I don't have any retail experience, so they encouraged me to answer their questions with any experience I had. At the third interview, the store manager offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with difficult customers or co-workers?   Answer Question
    • How would you make a new coworker feel welcome?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about yourself, where you've been, and what you see yourself doing in the future.   Answer Question
    • Have you read any books recently?   Answer Question