Barnes & Noble Part Time Book Seller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Part Time Book Seller Interview Questions

Interviews at Barnes & Noble

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Independence, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Independence, MO) in October 2011.

Interview

I applied in store then they called me back after 2 weeks. I went in and got an interview with the assistant store manager and then the manager right after. Got hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time you missed a deadline and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No Negation, Minimum wage.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in Harker Heights, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Harker Heights, TX) in November 2016.

Interview

Double interview by two separate managers. Overall insightful questions asked and very friendly tone. Questions were read straight from corporate provided paperwork and my answers were written down in a condensed version. First interviewer really seemed to care about my answers and how I would perform/fit in if employed. Second interviewer seemed just to be there to confirm first interviewers assessment and a bit in a hurry to get back to work. Both were nothing but professional, attentive, and friendly though.

Interview Questions

• Be ready to give them the name of the book or books you're currently reading and then convince them why they should read them.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Avondale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Avondale, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

I came into the store and asked for the woman who called me for an interview at customer service, she took me to the back to an office, pulled out my resume which had a bunch of notes and stuff on and asked me questions about my work experience and why I left and why I wanted to work at B&N. It felt more like a conversation. She also asked me how I felt about selling memberships, which I was used to from my past job. Interview lasted about 20 minutes and then she scheduled me for a second interview the next day. The next one was with the actual manager and it was much shorter. He asked my favorite author and how I would approach a guest and stuff, and talked about the benefits and a bit about the memberships sales, and then he told me this meeting was just to make sure they wanted to hire me and offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• What are you reading right now (and who would you sell this to)?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a customer complaint.   1 Answer

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

The overall process was very simple considering other interviews I've done.

I applied online through Barnes and Nobles website, and made sure to introduce myself to the manager the next day. He had a quick talk with me, and a few days later I get a call from the manager for a phone interview. It was very basic, a book lover could get the job easily. I had stuttered so much through the interview and was shaking, the manager told me over the phone I wouldn't get an answer till the following week, however I went into the store a day of two after to get a newly released book and he comes up to me and tells me that as long as my back ground check goes through okay the job is mine.

I only had one phone interview and the longest wait was waiting for the back ground check to go through.

I was not really asked about my experience much aside from one question about if I know how retail works and what the job entails, ect. Most of the questions were about books and why I wanted to work at the store plus how I knew the employee who had referred me.

Interview Questions

• What book have you recently read and why would you recommend it?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work here?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

2 interviews with different managers. Would pick questions from a list and at end ask if you have any questions of your own. The interview does not last too long and they check the reference you give.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Give us an example of a bad customer service experience and what did you do to fix it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Seattle, WA) in October 2010.

Interview

Had one on one interview and filled out standard application. Was offered the job at the end of the interview. Very casual and actually enjoyable interview, since I did not NEED the job, but I wanted it...I was looking for something to do with my spare time

Interview Questions

• How do you handle a difficult customer? What do you do when a customer said "no" to the membership offer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/A

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Columbia, MO) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied online and received a call about a week later to schedule an interview for the following week. Went in for the interview which was one-on-one in the cafe area. It was very casual as there were people going about their daily lives as I was being given an interview. The manger that interviewed me was very nice and loved the fact that I knew about many mainstream books and authors. The questions were very basic interview questions. I've never had a retail job before so he asked me what I would do if I were a customer in the situations. After the interview he seemed very interested in me and told me that he would have to call and check my references and run a background check. The entire process took about two weeks which I thought was a bit lengthy. However, it was very simple.

Interview Questions

• How did you resolve the last disagreement you had with a co-worker or friend?
      If you were a customer here and had a complaint, how would you go about resolving the issue?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation phase. Part time and minimum wage.

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Honolulu, HI) in November 2013.

Interview

I Applied, they called, I interviewed and got the job. It was pretty straight forward. I can't really comment because I knew the manager and so it was kind of easy for me to get the job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Louisville, KY) in September 2013.

Interview

I applied online in August, then waited. In mid-september I received a phone interview. I was then called a week later to schedule a real interview. After this, I was asked to wait for a follow-up call and final interview if I was selected. (I was not, as another person who could work more hours was excepted.)

Anonymous Employee in Antioch, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Antioch, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

There was no phone interview, I was just asked to come in. I had two interviews, one was for the wrong position. They said they would call me, but never got back to me. Edit: They called me after a week to checkup, they were having problems internally with the BG check.

Interview Questions

• Try to think of a time, and give me an example, of when you were multitasking.   2 Answers