Barnes & Noble Seasonal Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Barnes & Noble Seasonal Bookseller Interview Questions

Interviews at Barnes & Noble

2.4

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

Lots of behavioral questions. More in depth than other retail interviews. Charisma really counts here. Interview lasted a total of 30 minutes. This is a great seasonal job for students and people looking to make extra money around the holidays, but growth within the company is difficult.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to adapt to accomodate a sudden change   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Las Vegas, NV) in October 2013.

Interview

I was asked what books I liked, then the manager decided she liked me and I was hired. Easiest interview ever. The interview process now it a lot longer because they now do a phone interview, in person and then with the store manager. Which is a bit excessive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from the assistant manager a week later to come in for an interview. Interview wasn't hard, mostly questions about working with customers and selling memberships. They do require 2 references to call, even for a 3 month seasonal position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (San Diego, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Initially I got called for a phone interview where they asked questions like why I want to work for Barnes & Noble and other questions pertaining to former employment that is relevant to retail or sales. I was told they wanted me to come into the store for an interview and to dress to impress. When I got to the store I noted there were a lot of other applicants and they had us wander around the store before they gathered us by the customer service and taken to the back room where the employees have lockers and a place where they can chill out during breaks. We had papers already set up on a table for applicants. The paper contained about 10 personality questions such as "Where was your favorite vacation? Why? Who went with you?" or "Who was your childhood idol?", "What is the earliest book you read? Why was it meaningful?" etc. From the questions you had to select two and answer them one by one. Under the questions was an availability schedule, which they said would be a high determining factor on whether or not you got the job. At the bottom of the sheet was a references list. In the interview room there were 2 observers, 2 managers writing down applicant's answers, and 1 interviewer who asked the group the questions. After having filled the sheet and answering your selected questions the interviewer began to ask questions that were all about sales, questions that you had to think on your feet. Lastly, they had the applicants go out into the store and choose an item that they could easily sell to a customer.
    Quite frankly, I think this interview was way too difficult for a seasonal position. It would have been okay if this was for a regular full-time position, but not for seasonal. Also, they do call the references so make sure all are ready for phone calls.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you to do sales?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time where you changed your suggestion approach to a customer?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you went out of your way for a customer?   Answer Question
    • Go out into the store and choose an item you'd sell without a problem to a customer. What would you bundle it with?   Answer Question

Bookseller Seasonal Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I was called about 3 days after I applied and got an interview 2 days later. It was one on one with a manager. Questions were standard behavior questions that I answered with specific examples and results. How do you approach someone to help them? How do you handle a conflict with a Co-worker or manager? How do you handle when you get busy and are asked several things by several people? Are you okay being cross trained in the cafe? What is the last book you read or are reading? How do you keep track of what is new or coming out? Asked about my availability.

I then got my round 2 interview there with the store manager. I was asked pretty much the exact same questions and we had instant rapport. After 45 minutes total I was conditionally hired pending my background check which will be clear.

Schedule was not an issue - I need 2 nights a week off but am available any day. I could possibly get 40 hrs as well.

Overall pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• What type of books are you reading   1 Answer

Negotiation

Seasonal Booksellers start at the same $9.00/HR rate but they can and will keep me in after the season and I will get a small increase in pay at that point.

Seasonal Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2011.

Interview

I interviewed with one other candidate and we took turns answering questions.

Examples of questions: "Describe a situation when you had to overcome a challenge or confront a frustrating situation." "Explain your customer service ideas and/or methods. How do you sell?" "Why did you apply for a position at B&N, why do you want to work here?" "Describe skills you have from other jobs or experiences you think would be useful or beneficial to a position at B&N."

Interview Questions

• What is your approach to customer service?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was little room to negotiate wage because starting wages for seasonal positions were set by the company.
    Negotiating availability and desired amount of hours came with ease.

Seasonal Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted a couple of weeks later. Asked some questions on the phone and then asked to interview in person at the store location. Manager was super nice and helped discuss what my strengths are to place me better and offered me a job after contacting my references.