Barnes & Noble Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Barnes & Noble Store Manager Interview Questions

Interviews at Barnes & Noble

2.6

Anonymous Employee in Williamsburg, VA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Williamsburg, VA).

Interview

I was an internal candidate looking for promotion. Before interviewing, I did a one-week assessement in a training store. After "passing" that, the process continued. I did an interview with a current Store Manager from a different store, then with my DM, then the Regional Vice President and also a phone interview with the Regional HR manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to manage an under-performing employee.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Austin, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

Spoke to the GM on the phone, gave a brief history of my background. Came in and spoke to her and an office manager for about 45 minutes. Last interview was with 3-4 others including a store manager that was going to train me.

Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Interviewed with two Store Managers. Went well. Interviewed with the DM. A little shocked by the demeanor. Thought it went well as it was a lengthy interview and appeared to have positive feedback. Until the DM asked if I'd take less money and a lower position. Ah. No. Not with my background and experience. Don't need to.

Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Knoxville, TN) in January 2012.

Interview

The interview was very informal but my resume was extremely solid. They headhunted me for the position . I went through a phone interview and then later met with the regional manager in person. It took a few days and then I was contacted to sign my offer letter and discuss particulars.

Interview Questions

• Ability to cope with stress and handle situations in a fast paced environment   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Seattle, WA) in June 2011.

Interview

Phone screening, then in person with another store manager, then the DM and Regional Manager all in person. Met in a store, then in the DM office then the regional manager in a hotel.

Interview Questions

• Behavior based questions. Looking for specific examples of resutls   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Interviewed with a Store Manager, then the District Manager, then the Regional HR Director. None of the interviews was especially difficult. The interviews were spread out over about a month. It has been over a month since the last interview and I have not heard back from anyone.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Atlanta, GA) in January 2009.

Interview

It was a long and winding road. Everyone was great except for the DM (north Atlanta market). Unprofessional and clueless.

Interview Questions

• Not a question but unexpected conversation from a store manager who I interviewed with that disclosed that she was interviewing me for her postition because she knew she was about to be fired.   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Phone screening, then 1:1 with manager. Basic, customer focused

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Orlando, FL) in May 2012.

Interview

Contacted for interview. Bring a resume, be prepared to talk about previous work experience. Questions centered around how you lead teams and focus on customer service. Most, if not all, of the questions were situational questions with the expectation of what was the situation, how did you handle it, what was the outcome,what did you learn from it and would you have done anything differently. Very slow follow up, however. I've spoken to others who've gone through the hiring process and everyone felt the same way. Over four weeks before I heard back from them for a second interview and 2 1/2 months before I was hired.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had an irate customer and you were not able to solve the problem for them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There isn't much negotiation with Barnes and Noble. Store managers are paid based on the store's expected revenue. There is a chance to bonus based on certain goals. If you try to negotiate, more than likely you'll here, "It is based on a matrix and we cannot deviate from that."

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

The company was testing a new format of preset questions. The District Manager interviewed me using this format then there was a Regional Manager phone interview. The District Manager did a very wise thing and actually visited the store I was managing before the interview and asked questions about my current store.

Interview Questions

• The new format was excellent in that it dealt with specifics not ideas, for example: not how would you deal with an employee that was often late but have you dealt with an employee who was often late and what did you do.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They told me what the wage offered was and I could accept or decline.