Bazaarvoice Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 13, 2017

3.2

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bazaarvoice (Austin, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

I had a recruiter contact me about a month after I applied with my resume. I was given a phone screen shortly thereafter. After passing the phone screen, I was brought onsite for a 6 hour interview. I had three interviews in the morning - each about 45 minutes. Then I was given lunch for 1:15 with a director level person. Then three more interviews at 45 minutes each. I can't remember all of the questions, but here are the ones I can.

Interview Questions

• Phone Screen: write a simple compression algorithm to change aaabbbcccaabbbbc into: a3b3c3a2b4c1   Answer Question
  • 1st onsite: given a list, separate out all duplicates into separate lists and return. So take {1,1,2,3,4,4} and return {1,2,3,4},{1,4}   2 Answers
  • 2nd onsite: several design questions about the data structures you would use if implementing a language. It didn't make sense to me - this is probably one of the places I was weak.   Answer Question
  • 5th onsite: several architectural questions about creating a website and making it scalable.   Answer Question
  • 6th onsite: Given a DAG graph, write an algorithm that traverses the graph and returns the first path from point a to point b or none if there is none. Extend that algorithm to return all paths. Extend that algorithm to sum the weight of the nodes in the path.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Bazaarvoice

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bazaarvoice (Austin, TX) in October 2011.

Interview

The phone interview was straight forward. I was asked questions on my resume, work experience etc. I was called for an onsite interview which was scheduled a week out from my phone interview. Onsite, I had around 6 one on one interviews which took up most part of the day. The interviews themselves involved puzzles and algorithms and was told this is their technical interview. I was not once asked anything about technology or even related to programming concepts. I was surprised to be asked puzzles and such for a senior level job. I did not get a good feel for what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• something to do with a math algorithm on contiguous sets   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bazaarvoice (Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

It is a demanding process. But the result is that you will get to work with people who have been challenged to the same level and it seems to work. Interviews involved an HR screening interview; tech lead interview; four 1-hour technical sessions done back to back, with eight different people. It sounds daunting. It _is_ challenging. The reward is very much worthwhile!

Interview Questions

• You need to be very confident with your technology as they will probe your knowledge.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bazaarvoice in April 2012.

Interview

I first talked to a lady in HR. We talked about my interests and then about Bazaarvoice. She pointed out culture is very important there.

Next was a technical phone screen for about 30 minutes. Then it took awhile to schedule an on-site interview. Bazaarvoice has been on a hiring binge lately so they are backlogged with interviews.

On-site interview was scheduled for 6 hours which included going out to lunch with a couple engineers. I only met with engineers which one of them commented was unusual.

For each 1:1, the engineer told me a little about what they did in Bazaarvoice, answered questions I had and mainly consisted of 1 or 2 problem solving exercises on the whiteboard e.g. how would you traverse a tree in some specific pattern.

A couple engineers also asked what type of company I was looking for, why Bazaarvoice. Of course after what HR told me and what was said in Glassdoor reviews, I said culture was very important to me and that was a big reason why Bazaarvoice attracted me (it was true). I know they definitely liked that answer and helped me get the offer.

I thought the engineers did a good job with the interviews, were fully engaged in the interview and really enjoyed working at Bazaarvoice. They did mention that were going through big changes - a big hiring growth, reorganizing their teams, and even re-writing their software platform.

If you interview there, definitely make sure you mention how important is a company culture.