Beckman Coulter Interview Questions in Chaska, MN | Glassdoor

3.1

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Applications Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chaska, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter (Chaska, MN) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter. The process was very quick as I received a phone interview that week itself. I was invited to come for an onsite interview (Chaska,MN). For onsite interview, there were many behavior and hypothetical situation ques. They really make sure if you are the perfect fit for that role. It was then followed by technical round by the scientist. Finally Lab tour marks the end of the process.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this particular role?
      Give a time when you had to critically think and analyze a difficult situation?
      How do you obtain your work evaluation from other team members or supervisors?   Answer Question

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chaska, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter (Chaska, MN) in January 2016.

Interview

Initial contact from an outside recruiter (retained for search). Early discussion with recruiter talked about career path, salary expectations, interest level.

Once vetted, recruiter presented me to the hiring manager with a phone interview to follow. Phone interview lasted just over an hour and focused on a few standard behavior questions (resolving conflict, a time when you innovated, etc.). A lot of time for me to ask questions and learn more about the role.

Recruiter followed up with feedback and set up the on-site interview. Site interview was with three potential colleagues followed by lunch with the hiring manager and a site tour. About five hours in total. Little focus on technical details and much more on cultural fit, career growth, leadership, and how well the job fit my interests and career path. Senior people were tasked with understanding why I was looking and how I would fit in the role. The more junior person focused on canned behavioral questions.

Overall, a rather short interview (I'm used to spending a full day on site with some presentation required) that didn't seem to dig into much technical detail. Probably one of the easier interview experiences I've had. They may have been convinced I was a good fit before I met with them.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your current position?

What is your interest in Beckman Coulter?

What experience to you have in Lean Manufacturing?

Give me an example where you had to overcome a difficult challenge at work.   Answer Question

Senior Development Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chaska, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter (Chaska, MN) in March 2014.

Interview

Third party recruiting firm contracted by Beckman Coulter called. Very polite inquiry about experiences and immune assays.

Interview Questions

• Whether I had industry experience.   1 Answer

Engineering Innovation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chaska, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter (Chaska, MN) in November 2013.

Interview

I was recruited on campus by a local recruiter in Miami, FL. I then had a 45 minute phone interview with a Senior Staff Engineer. That interview was both behavioral with a little bit of technical added to it. I was then selected to the final interview process where i was flown up to Chaska, MN. There were 17 candidates and they were selecting 7.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really too difficult, but i was made to write code on paper that should compile.   Answer Question

Innovation Fellowship Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chaska, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter (Chaska, MN) in January 2011.

Interview

I applied to this position through my university's engineering job postings. I received an email within a few weeks from HR. The HR representative screened me for basics such as work eligibility and date of graduation. I was also asked why I believe I am fit for this position.

Then I had a 45 minute technical phone screen that tested my knowledge of whatever languages I claimed to know. These questions consisted of basic container complexity questions (compare operations on an array versus operations on a list) to some problem solving questions (how do you know if a binary number is a power of 2 and how would you write a program to solve it). I was only asked questions relevant to what I claimed I knew beyond the basic algorithms material so it seemed like they wanted to know if I was a competent person who paid attention more so than if I was a human dictionary. It is important to understand complexity of elementary containers (lists, arrays, hash tables, binary trees), definitions of object oriented terminology (encapsulation, polymorphism, etc), and have a good understanding of most of the features in C++ and/or Java. If you have taken operating systems or database courses, that is a bonus.

Response was quick as I was contacted by the HR representative the next day for an on site interview. They were very accommodating; I was offered a rental car and a hotel room. The interview date was also very flexible. I had 6 interviews that lasted 45 minutes each. 4 of the 6 were either behavioral or asking about my projects. Occasionally they would slip in a technical question like what is polymorphism or what is multiple inheritance. During the two technical interviews was given the problem of writing a function to assist in solving a sudoku as well as writing a program that would solve the sudoku as well. This interview was intended to be a 2 on 1 interview but the other interviewer was not available. The other technical interview was another 2 on 1 where I was presented with a problem regarding writing a program to determine how many ways there are to make change for a given amount of money. The two technical interviews were intended for you to demonstrate how you think and how you might utilize group members to help you solve problems.

I was contacted about 2 weeks later notifying me that they had selected another candidate.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach writing a program to solve a sliding tile puzzle?   Answer Question
    • Write a function that takes a given amount of money as input and returns the number of ways to make that amount of money in coins.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chaska, MN

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter (Chaska, MN) in August 2010.

Interview

I had three phone interviews after which they flew me out for an on site round of interviews. The day started at 8 am and had 5 45 min interviews. Then I had lunch with another group of engineers. I left at around 1:15pm. There was no white board coding, but basic C++ questions and probing into things I had done in the past. Basic questions like "What id the difference between a struct and a class?", "What does static do?", "In C# what is the difference between an interface and a class?", and then more probing questions like: "Exactly how did you create a COM server?", "How did your threads communicate?", "What did the threads do?", "What happened when the thread completed?" "How would you write a program to solve this problem?", "Tell me a good bug story" ... All total I spent about 9 hours talking with them on the phone and in person. In the end I was told they selected another candidate. They had a pile of applications so I guess in the end only one can be chosen.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a good bug story", "How would you write a program to solve...."   Answer Question

Senior Production Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chaska, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter (Chaska, MN) in September 2009.

Interview

It was an internal job posting so I new all of the interviewers. I was initially discouraged to apply for the job but did it anyway and got the job because of previous projects I had worked on in my current job at the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you didn't get along with someone ranked above you.   Answer Question