Beckman Coulter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Beckman Coulter

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter.

Interview

Phone interview. About an hour. There are two interviewers. First is several behavior questions. Then follows an algorithm question and java question. Then is some front end question including html, css, javascript and react.js.

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter (Brea, CA).

Interview

Straightforward application process - I submitted an online application via Kenexa, and was contacted about a week later by a Kenexa (NOT Beckman Coulter) recruiter based in New Jersey. Had two phone conversations with this person, detailing my past experience, what I was looking for in a new position, etc. Throughout, said recruiter was brusque, often cutting me off as I was trying to answer a question or attempting to poke holes in every single thing I said. This could have been an "ambush" tactic to see how someone handles rude people, which would be pretty bizarre that early on in the interview process.

During the second phone call when the issue of salary was brought up. Having come from a boutique law firm in another city where I was paid significantly below market rate (the main factor in my decision to leave), I did my research to determine what would be a fair salary for the position in question. After indicating my expectations and explaining the rationale (significant cost of living increase, etc.), the recruiter scoffed and told me there was no way "they" were going to consider going "that high" based on what I had previously been making, despite the fact that I had aimed low in the range I believed a position like this in the greater Los Angeles market would pay. I was quoted a range, based entirely on my previous salary, that was not enough to live on in the Los Angeles area. The conversation went downhill from there, the recruiter apparently having branded me a candidate with lofty salary expectations.

Still being very interested in Beckman Coulter and the position, the next day, I placed a follow-up call to the recruiter in an attempt to convey to her that I would still be very interested in proceeding with the interview process and that I was willing to be a bit more flexible about the salary, to a point. Somehow, this recruiter took the exact opposite meaning of what I was trying to tell her, and said she had no intention of continuing my candidacy because she was "not going to waste [her] time and theirs by interviewing me if I wasn't going to accept a much lower salary." Pretty much exactly what I had JUST told her I was willing to do because I was that interested in the company. At that point, I cut my losses.

I am not by means a difficult person, but recognize that I should have seen certain red flags in this interview process and said as little a possible without seeming standoffish. That being said, my dealings with this Kenexa recruiter have been the most appalling I've ever encountered in my job search. I'd advise companies like Beckman Coulter to seriously reconsider who they are letting represent them if they want to recruit new talent. Candidates truly interested in the company and what they are doing can be seriously turned off early on by rude outside recruiters.

Interview Questions

• Previous or current salary, and what are your expectations going forth.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Beckman Coulter in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online, heard back two weeks later from a recruiter who had a quick twenty minute background interview. Education work history, etc. Simple stuff. The recruiter then scheduled an over the phone interview with the project manager for a more technical and fit interview. It wasn't difficult, simple questions about SQL and OOP. A day later I was contacted and told they wanted to bring me in for a final interview.

I agreed and they informed me they would be doing a group interview with multiple candidates and multiple members of the hiring team so it would take a few days to schedule but to expect to hear back by Friday with a day and time.(It was a Tuesday at the time). When I didn't hear anything on Friday I figured scheduling had been harder than they expected but decided to email my recruiter on Monday. When she didn't reply by Wednesday, I called her and left a message and emailed the project manager (who had given me his email in case I had further questions) asking when the final interview would be scheduled. Neither ever returned my messages, choosing to leave with no response.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone screen and then on-site interview. Phone screen was a technical screen based on questions from freshman/sophomore computer science curriculum. On-site interview was a set of five interviews with pairs of people that covered technical questions and team fit. The technical questions ranged over math, algorithms, and user interface design. There was an interview with HR to go over benefits.

Interview Questions

• How to compare two trees and stop the comparison as soon as a difference was found.   Answer Question

Staff Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter.

Interview

Initial phone interview and a second in person interview. Phone screening with HR and 1 day interview on site with hiring manager, director, HR and a person from another group.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of the time that you had to be a listener than speaker?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter (Danvers, MA) in June 2011.

Interview

Initially phone screened by Kenexa. Phone screened by hiring manager. Waited for several months. Finally heard back. Flown in for interview and practically hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Many tech questions. Many questions concerning previous experience, inaction with direct reports, management skills, motivating different types of employees based on personality type, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate up from the initial offer (10%). Asked for 18% higher, but was informed this salary would place me outside the range of the requisition.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter (Saint Paul, MN) in April 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by one of their recruiter. He took the phone interview, satisfied and forwarded to the hiring manager. It took long time for the hiring manager to contact me. Finally hiring manager interviewed me. During the interview he said no matter I am hired or not, he will let me know the result. But this never happened.

Staff Role Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter in June 2009.

Interview

Did multiple phone interviews and was invited onsite. They paid to fly me into HQ from east coast, interviewed all day with staff and line leaders. NEVER heard back from them. I kinda figured it out after I sent multiple emails and voicemails but still very surprised that I didn't even get a polite decline email. Very weird.

Staff Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter then a phone interview with the person that would be my supervisor followed by an on-site interview.
    The on-site interview was a typical one on one with several people in the group, a presentation of my work and a lunch with other members of the group.

At one point during the one on one interview a guy asked if I had a husband and if him and my kids were fine with relocating. I was taken back by this question.

I feel they already had someone else in mind because the hiring manager kept looking at his watch and spent the entire time talking and not trying to ask me questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you develop our product?   Answer Question
    • Give examples of your leadership.   Answer Question
    • Explain this scientific idea to me (this person was a computer major and wanted to see if I could explain complex science to a broad audience).   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with a difficult person?   Answer Question

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chaska, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter (Chaska, MN) in January 2016.

Interview

Initial contact from an outside recruiter (retained for search). Early discussion with recruiter talked about career path, salary expectations, interest level.

Once vetted, recruiter presented me to the hiring manager with a phone interview to follow. Phone interview lasted just over an hour and focused on a few standard behavior questions (resolving conflict, a time when you innovated, etc.). A lot of time for me to ask questions and learn more about the role.

Recruiter followed up with feedback and set up the on-site interview. Site interview was with three potential colleagues followed by lunch with the hiring manager and a site tour. About five hours in total. Little focus on technical details and much more on cultural fit, career growth, leadership, and how well the job fit my interests and career path. Senior people were tasked with understanding why I was looking and how I would fit in the role. The more junior person focused on canned behavioral questions.

Overall, a rather short interview (I'm used to spending a full day on site with some presentation required) that didn't seem to dig into much technical detail. Probably one of the easier interview experiences I've had. They may have been convinced I was a good fit before I met with them.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your current position?

What is your interest in Beckman Coulter?

What experience to you have in Lean Manufacturing?

Give me an example where you had to overcome a difficult challenge at work.   Answer Question

Applications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Beckman Coulter (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2017.

Interview

The Interview process went smoothly. I would have liked to get a tour of the facility, but everybody was very friendly and explained the job process very well. The process takes slightly longer than usual, and i didn't hear anything back from anybody for a while.