Bed Bath & Beyond Department Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bed Bath & Beyond Department Manager Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2017

2.4

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview

The first interview was over the phone. What you will hear is tell me more. All questions are open ended so be prepared to speak. The questionsecond are really to find out what you are about.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Bed Bath & Beyond

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Very long and drawn out without good communication. I applied online and was called by a member of HR and asked a few pre interview questions. After passing those questions we set up a formal phone interview. After the phone interview I was set up to interview with the district manager. Both of these interviews went well and were professional and pleasant. The next step was to meet with the Regional manager. I had to keep calling to follow up on when this interview would be. I drove over 2 hours to get to the interview and when I arrived the meeting took place 30 minutes after my scheduled time. He was busy with another interviewee. I can not fathom how this person could possibly be in high level management. He was condescending and rude the entire time I was with him. He had his feet up on his desk staring at his phone throughout the whole interview. He was not prepared for me and had not even looked at my resume until I walked in the door. He called me the wrong name twice because he was not prepared. When asked my management style I told him and he disagreed and stated that yelling and being forceful was the only way to get your staff to listen and follow your directions? Seriously? I left the interview knowing that this would not be someone I would want over me and after this interview I would never even shop here again. My sister was going to do her bridal registry here and would never give money to a company that actually admits to treating there employees in such a manner. There are many other companies that treat there employees as family and with respect. DO NOT APPLY here if you have self respect and value.

Interview Questions

• If you had a 4 ft by 6 ft end cap and a pallet of coasters walk me through the thought process on how you would display these coasters.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online, within two weeks, I was called for a face to face interview. Interview went very well. Was given an overview of the company, their standards, and what a day looks like for the whole store. After interview, I was told I would hear from them in about two weeks. Two weeks went by, and was asked for another face to face interview with the DM. That too, went great. Within two weeks of that interview, I was offered the position. Over all, took 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you serviced a customer? What question do you asked when you a customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I gave them an amount. They came back with what I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Went through 4 interviews last with district manager. Not very professional. Said he would be checking references but I spoke to them and they were never contacted. Got an email from them saying they don't have a position for me at this time so why go through the entire process which lasted almost a month?

Departent Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Kansas City, KS).

Interview

First interview with HR manager which basically has you go over your resume. The second interview is with the district manager. They are really interviewing you for the next level up to ensure they see you able to move up or they will pass.

Interview Questions

• The district manager asked how well I would deal with my work never being enough? He said the company had high expectations and would always want more.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Denver, CO) in February 2016.

Interview

Very informal. Asked basic questions. Office setting was in a stockroom. They did not discuss salary but did talk about benefits. Only 2 weeks of vacation and discount is 20% off. Was told evetyone they hire no matter their experience has to start as department manager which is an hourly position. Ended the interview with a brief statement that someone would get back to me in a couple of weeks.

Anonymous Employee in Nassau, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Nassau, NY).

Interview

First interview with District HR. Basic getting to know you interview. Good overview of the company. Duties, responsibilities, outline of a day in the life. Second interview with District manager. More in depth. Background, experience, management style all discussed in depth. The whole;e process was done fairly quickly. Both interviews within a week of each other.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Atlanta, GA) in January 2016.

Interview

I first interviewed with the HR manager for about 45 minutes and it seemed to go very well, I was given information about the company and the job. I was then set up with a DM interview within a week and that also seemed to go very well. I was told he wanted to check with the HR manager to see where I would fit best in the company. After two weeks of not hearing from anyone I reached out to the HR manager to get an update on the process and was told they decided not to go forward with me and that a letter had been sent saying that as well. As of today, I still have not received the letter. I have over 20+ years of retail management, I am enthusiastic, proactive and a self starter so the only reason I can think I was not a fit is because of my age. I didn't want to think that would be a problem because I read it on another review, that BBY liked to hire young and didn't like to hire older workers. Now I believe it to be true, so beware.

Interview Questions

• What did I learn from the HR interview about BBY that I didn't know?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Huntsville, AL) in November 2015.

Interview

Did an initial phone interview with HR specialist. Scheduled a face to face interview two weeks later. Reported to the interview about 10 minutes early and my interview started about 20 minutes late for the interviewer was on her cell phone. Total interview lasted about 45 minutes. Questions mostly centered around merchandising which was expected. I have 20 plus years experience in merchandising so was pretty easy for me. I had heard they look for youth when hiring and I was asked questions to determine my age, which I felt was very inappropriate. Interview was on a Tuesday and I was told they would get in touch with me by the end of the week to let me know one way or the other. That was two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything back. I have conducted many face to face interviews in my past experiences, and feel this one was most unprofessional. My experience would make me a perfect fit, but it does appear my age doesn't.

Interview Questions

• Now much control did you have in ordering merchandise in your past experiences?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Submitted Application in store. Got called 1 week later for interview. Interviewed with HR then District Manager and store manager on separate dates. Had to travel to different locations for each interview.

Interview Questions

• If a customer wants to buy a candle, what would you add on?   1 Answer