Bed Bath & Beyond Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bed Bath & Beyond Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

2.3

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Interview

I was called by the company for an interview within about a week (about two or three days) after I applied for the sales associate position with my resume on indeed.com.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a product you really love and how would you sell it to me.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Richmond, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Got a request To interview. Went in store. Had to fill out a paper application. Then met with a team leader only to be told they don't hire temporary workers even though I'd be transferring to another store when I went back to school. Was totally pointless. Don't apply for summer work here.

Assistant Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Union, NJ).

Interview

Spent the majority of my day there interviewing back to back with buyers in a little room with an hour break with lunch provided. I asked everyone what they could improve on and they said the software sucks. HR said they'll contact me the following week just to keep my updated but never heard from them.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond in April 2017.

Interview

Submitted my resume to the BBB portal. Did not apply for anything. Received a call two weeks later asking me to come in for an interview for an HR assistant role. I make an appointment for the next day. Managrt filled me in that there is not a HRIS and this is a perfect fit for a soon to be BBA in HR graduate like myself since it is entry level. She expressed enthusiasm that I already had some experience and couldn't wait to meet me.

I arrived the next day ten minutes early. Security called HR and they had me fill out an application before the interview. When finished I returned the application to security where they informed me that they would turn it in to HR and I was free to leave. I mentioned again that I was here for an interview that was scheduled. They called HR again. It was another 10 minutes before someone came to see me - you can probably guess it wasn't who I was told would be conducting the interview.

I spent about 30 minutes talking to the worlds worst interviewer. He couldn't come up with any questions other than "How would you handle 500 employees?" I was interviewing for an entry level hr position where I would be mainly helping people with questions about benefits - not upper management. When I explained my skills and how I would handle helping 500 associates, he just repeated the question. When I explained my background and experience, he kept saying how I was a perfect fit. I asked questions about a lack of HRIS and other hr matters - but he didn't seem to like those too much. Then he tells me at the end of the interview that the position was filled but he would call me if she didn't work out.
    Okay, so someone at your office called me in for an interview the day before and asked that I come in for an interview about a job that I did not previously apply for. I wasted an hour of my time to drive there and another 30 minutes in a room with an incompetent interviewer. Nobody thought to tell me the position was filled? Right - because my time is less valuable to BB&B.

I received an offer from a competitor for much better pay and benefits the next week.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anchorage, AK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Anchorage, AK) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email that said I had to go in store to set up an interview. I got in and immediately spoke with a manager. She asked me very basic questions about what I did at my former job, my availability, and clarified that they only had part time hours. Once we got through that, she scheduled an interview with the general store manager. When I came for my interview, the manager skipped out on my interview and I was interviewed by another store manager. The interview questions were pretty simple but a tad long winded. I walked away with a good feeling about the job. I was told that they would call within 48 hours.

Interview Questions

• Are you flexible with your schedule?   1 Answer
    • Can you climb a 12ft ladder?   1 Answer
    • We emphasize safety at our store? Would you be willing to follow safety regulations?   1 Answer

Accounts Payable Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Union, NJ) in February 2017.

Interview

The Hiring officer called me to schedule an interview then sent an email to confirm where and when to meet. After interviewing with the hiring officer I was interviewed by the Dept. Manager.

Interview Questions

• I was asked which role I preferred as supervisor or supervisee   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Luis Obispo, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (San Luis Obispo, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I had to go through 3 intereviews, 2 with store managers and 1 with supervisor. All the intereviews were super easy, very personable and confortable. Typical questions like why I wanna work there or tell me about your self. One thing that annoyed me was that I was always on time for my interview but I would end up waiting for 20-15 minutes each time just waiting for there interviewer to show up. Over all it was alot of work and waiting just for such a easy cashier and sales job. 3 intereviews it's alot if you ask me, and it wasn't even for full-time. Have fun trying to get full-time with them lol. It's definitely a store where you have to work your way up.

Merchandising Manager Interview

Interview

I submitted an application online. I regret not reading reviews about the role since people were brutally honest and if I had, I wouldn't have even applied in the first place.

I was contacted by a recruiter and played phone tag with them for a while. I asked them to please either schedule a time to speak, or in the very least contact me before 9am, during lunch or after 5pm. I finally secured a time to speak with the recruiter and they were extremely curt and cut me off while I was speaking repeatedly.

They basically asked me if I was still employed and if I could come in for an interview. No other screening questions which struck me.

The recruiter asked for my availability and I gave a specific date and time. They then scheduled me for my interview during a time that was not in my availability. I told him I was unable to make it and he said that "their management will be disappointed and that it's my loss".

If the recruiter is any indication of the acceptable behaviors their, I want no part of it. I told them I no longer wanted to be in consideration for the role and thanked them for their time.

Director Interview

Interview

The hiring manager was stuck on my technical/tech know-how and did not believe I was a leader that can execute even after I gave many examples during interview and via followup emails, also on my resume, of successfully launching programs and initiatives. My technical know-how is an added benefit to understand what technologies and solutions BBB should and should not be deploying (from experience working in the industry for 10yrs). The HR person was un-proffessional with no follow ups and when I asked for help to manage the perception. They left it at they will continue searching for the right person and it has been 6 months and they just reposted the role again.

Interview Questions

• My motivation to work at BBB   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union, NJ

Interview

Phone interview with HR, then phone interview with member of the team. I was asked to come in for a five hour interview, to which I happily obliged. Halfway through my interview I voluntarily left, the first (and hopefully only) time I have ever done so. This is also my first Glassdoor review; I felt the need to share my experiences:

In-person interview experience
    Group one, two individuals:

A) I was asked to select a project and walk through the: 1) goals 2) enhancements made and 3) KPIs. I referred to an onboarding project I had executed at my previous company to which I was told it would suffice for the exercise. For about 15-20 minutes I detailed how I identified the need for the project, outlined a hypothesis, and then reviewed how we tested its impact via A/B test. At the conclusion of the interview I was told though my project seemed good, what is done at BBB is more intricate and that it's "not as simple as just an A/B test." Should the initial instruction have been clearer, I have many examples of more complex projects which I would have shared.

B) As part of our conversation I asked "what PM Methodologies do you and your team follow?" I was asked for more clarification, to which I said: "Such as Scrum, or Agile?" I was then told I was incorrect in using these terms in that manner, as it's the "development process." I was lectured about the differences. At this point the meeting quickly ended as the next group was waiting for me in the hall. Prior to the new group transitioning into the room, the previous group shared their experience interviewing me and laughed over that "last question."

Group two, two individuals:

A) I was asked about my strengths, to which I replied, "I've never missed a deadline." The individual challenged, "Never?" When the next whiteboarding project was being assigned I was told that I should also be sure to include my timeline strategy as "one of your strengths was 'never missing a deadline.'" This was requested in a condescending way.

B) I was asked to share details on what I've been doing to further my PM skills since leaving my last position. I noted that I am currently working as a consultant (virtually full time), with a new startup where my duties include: building new team framework; developing the product marketing strategy, UI, and dashboards/reports. This was quickly dismissed as irrelevant and was asked if I had completed “classes or training." I noted that I received my certification in Scrum and was pressed about if it was completed in the "last few months." I noted it was completed in December 2015.

Before even starting the second assigned project, I gathered my belongings and walked out.

After calling and emailing about my experiences, later in the evening HR reached out stating that feedback was very positive and they apologized that the interview "didn't go as planned."

The overall atmosphere during the interview was one of condescension, and rudeness; it was a gathering of egos too big for the room. I realize those feelings may be subjective, so I wanted to refer to a few other Glassdoor reviews that cite similar experiences:

10/11/2014 Bed-Bath-and-Beyond-Assistant-Planner-Interview-Questions
    11/15/2015 Bed-Bath-and-Beyond-Administrative-Assistant-Interview-Questions
    11/22/2015 Bed-Bath-and-Beyond-Assistant-Buyer-Interview-Questions
    04/29/2016 Bed-Bath-and-Beyond-Web-Manager-Interview-Questions

Interview Questions

• Be prepared for projects and a panel interview. Also, be prepared to be a male...I believe that'll help.   Answer Question