Bed Bath & Beyond Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.1

Department Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Akron, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied in person. Got an email from HR the next day to set up for a phone interview. After the phone interview set up to interview with HR. Then interviewed with a store manager & district manager. Process took about a month since it was right around Christmas.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever dealt with a difficult problem with a customer and what did you do?   1 Answer

Merchandising Manager Interview

Interview

I submitted an application online. I regret not reading reviews about the role since people were brutally honest and if I had, I wouldn't have even applied in the first place.

I was contacted by a recruiter and played phone tag with them for a while. I asked them to please either schedule a time to speak, or in the very least contact me before 9am, during lunch or after 5pm. I finally secured a time to speak with the recruiter and they were extremely curt and cut me off while I was speaking repeatedly.

They basically asked me if I was still employed and if I could come in for an interview. No other screening questions which struck me.

The recruiter asked for my availability and I gave a specific date and time. They then scheduled me for my interview during a time that was not in my availability. I told him I was unable to make it and he said that "their management will be disappointed and that it's my loss".

If the recruiter is any indication of the acceptable behaviors their, I want no part of it. I told them I no longer wanted to be in consideration for the role and thanked them for their time.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Atlanta, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

Fast and simple. Very friendly environment. We walked around the store and it was more like a friendly conversation and less like a formal job interview. Didn't feel intimidating at all. I got to know more about the business and the job responsibilities. It was a very pleasant interview.

Interview Questions

• If I were to call your former employer, what would they say about you?   1 Answer

Director Interview

Interview

The hiring manager was stuck on my technical/tech know-how and did not believe I was a leader that can execute even after I gave many examples during interview and via followup emails, also on my resume, of successfully launching programs and initiatives. My technical know-how is an added benefit to understand what technologies and solutions BBB should and should not be deploying (from experience working in the industry for 10yrs). The HR person was un-proffessional with no follow ups and when I asked for help to manage the perception. They left it at they will continue searching for the right person and it has been 6 months and they just reposted the role again.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Washington, DC).

Interview

Walked in on flip flops and got the job! Handed him my application he looked it over and asked when could I start! Was super easy they have a high turn over

Interview Questions

• Why do you wanna work here!   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I got a call to set up an interview date a week after I drop my application at the store. I had two interviews at the same date. Both interview took about 15 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the job?
      What do you know about us?
      Can you climb a ladder?
      Would you be able to clean restroom?
      Tell me about a time you made a decision without waiting for a manager?
      Tell me a time how you handle upset customer?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond (Grand Rapids, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

Positive, insightful, deep.
    Interviewer was very positive, friendly and inviting. Asked the basic questions as well explained the history of the company. Make me feel welcomed and that allowed me to be more open and honest with the interviewer. They were also on time for there phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Why are you not seeking management potential at your current company?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union, NJ

Interview

Phone interview with HR, then phone interview with member of the team. I was asked to come in for a five hour interview, to which I happily obliged. Halfway through my interview I voluntarily left, the first (and hopefully only) time I have ever done so. This is also my first Glassdoor review; I felt the need to share my experiences:

In-person interview experience
    Group one, two individuals:

A) I was asked to select a project and walk through the: 1) goals 2) enhancements made and 3) KPIs. I referred to an onboarding project I had executed at my previous company to which I was told it would suffice for the exercise. For about 15-20 minutes I detailed how I identified the need for the project, outlined a hypothesis, and then reviewed how we tested its impact via A/B test. At the conclusion of the interview I was told though my project seemed good, what is done at BBB is more intricate and that it's "not as simple as just an A/B test." Should the initial instruction have been clearer, I have many examples of more complex projects which I would have shared.

B) As part of our conversation I asked "what PM Methodologies do you and your team follow?" I was asked for more clarification, to which I said: "Such as Scrum, or Agile?" I was then told I was incorrect in using these terms in that manner, as it's the "development process." I was lectured about the differences. At this point the meeting quickly ended as the next group was waiting for me in the hall. Prior to the new group transitioning into the room, the previous group shared their experience interviewing me and laughed over that "last question."

Group two, two individuals:

A) I was asked about my strengths, to which I replied, "I've never missed a deadline." The individual challenged, "Never?" When the next whiteboarding project was being assigned I was told that I should also be sure to include my timeline strategy as "one of your strengths was 'never missing a deadline.'" This was requested in a condescending way.

B) I was asked to share details on what I've been doing to further my PM skills since leaving my last position. I noted that I am currently working as a consultant (virtually full time), with a new startup where my duties include: building new team framework; developing the product marketing strategy, UI, and dashboards/reports. This was quickly dismissed as irrelevant and was asked if I had completed “classes or training." I noted that I received my certification in Scrum and was pressed about if it was completed in the "last few months." I noted it was completed in December 2015.

Before even starting the second assigned project, I gathered my belongings and walked out.

After calling and emailing about my experiences, later in the evening HR reached out stating that feedback was very positive and they apologized that the interview "didn't go as planned."

The overall atmosphere during the interview was one of condescension, and rudeness; it was a gathering of egos too big for the room. I realize those feelings may be subjective, so I wanted to refer to a few other Glassdoor reviews that cite similar experiences:

10/11/2014 Bed-Bath-and-Beyond-Assistant-Planner-Interview-Questions
    11/15/2015 Bed-Bath-and-Beyond-Administrative-Assistant-Interview-Questions
    11/22/2015 Bed-Bath-and-Beyond-Assistant-Buyer-Interview-Questions
    04/29/2016 Bed-Bath-and-Beyond-Web-Manager-Interview-Questions

Interview Questions

• Be prepared for projects and a panel interview. Also, be prepared to be a male...I believe that'll help.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Very short, heard back after 2 days, apply in store and hear back from them faster. very understanding. after the first interview there is another one with the store manager and then he gives you an offer.

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Interview

The first interview was over the phone. What you will hear is tell me more. All questions are open ended so be prepared to speak. The questionsecond are really to find out what you are about.