Benchling Applications Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Benchling Applications Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Benchling

3.8

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Benchling (San Francisco, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Process was as follows:
-phone screen with hiring manager
-scientific case study and remote presentation
-one day onsite including case and behavioral interviews

Interviews were engaging and interesting discussions. Interviewers included the customer success team, a product manager, an engineering manager, and the co-founder. The interview process was challenging and required an investment in time, but it was clear that each piece had a part in assessing fit for the role and company.

Interview logistics could be improved (in terms of scheduling) but not any different than my experiences at similar stage companies.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult client engagement and what you would change if you did it again.   Answer Question

Benchling Response

May 25, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for sharing your positive experience with our Recruitment process. Happy to have you on our team!

Other Interview Reviews for Benchling

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Benchling (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Heard back two weeks after applying, interview process took about 5 weeks long, including two phone calls, one screen share/presentation project, and the onsite was 6 hours long, lunch included. Met with too many people, some weren't interested during the interview. Did a second presentation onsite, and was interrupted many times. Interview process should be more refined, there were too many moving parts and uninterested people. In the end, they provided a phone call and explained why they decided not to move forward - really appreciated that.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and how can they be applied here at Benchling in this role?   Answer Question

Benchling Response

May 25, 2018 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your experience with the Recruiting process here at Benchling. We've just added a robust recruiting team to our organization who will use your feedback to refine the interview process and ensure that all members of the interview panel have been trained on proper interview etiquette before sitting in on a presentation. While it may not have been apparent while you were on-site, we do appreciate the time you spent preparing your presentation and hope your interviewing efforts landed you an exceptional job offer with another organization.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Benchling (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen, followed by case study and phone screen for questions on the case study, followed by on site interview which included giving two presentations, doing another whiteboard case study, and several rounds of behavioral questions.

Overall, this was one of the worse interview experiences I've had. Several people that interview me were noticeably bored, barely concealing their yawns as they tried to feign interest in asking me questions. They asked me to give a presentation, but failed to properly setup AV equipment, so most of the time they had for the presentation was taken up by fiddling with the projector and trying to get it to work with my laptop. Furthermore, they didn't provide me with full instructions for the interview until something like Friday at 6pm when my interview was the following Monday.

I would say they consider themselves to be highly selective and rigorous in their interview process, and hold their interviewees to a standard that they don't apply to themselves. If a company treats you poorly when they interview you, when they should be trying to woo you, then that's a pretty serious red flag for what it would be like to work here. Maybe some of these poor interview management red flags were just growing pains, but seeing as there are multiple reviews on how poorly this company managed their interview process, I somewhat doubt it.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were pretty standard on background and experience. The one thing that was unusual was that they asked me to give a practice demo of some software I was familiar with, while not really providing clear instructions on what they wanted for this part of the interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Benchling (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Sent in application, followed up with a brief phone screener and two case study presentations. Invited for on-site interview which was a very full day of presentations, additional case studies, and behavioral questions.

Overall, the process was extremely disorganized and inconsistent. The interviewers, all quite young and freshly out of MIT, were very friendly but don't seem to be sure of what they're looking for. Logistics and communication were a joke, with critical travel and presentation details omitted.