Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies Underwriter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies Underwriter Interview Questions

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Heard back within a couple days asking me to take a math/ word association test. 30 questions in 8 minutes and you weren't supposed to finish them all. A couple days later i got an email to set up a phone interview with a HR representative. Simple behavioral questions. After that i had an in person interview at the location that i would have worked at. Here's where it got difficult.
1 hour interview. First part was simple behavioral questions. Next was somewhat difficult questions about logic and thinking (listed below). Lastly i was able to ask the employer questions about the job.

Advice:
Read up on Berkshire Hathaway and make sure to know about Warren Buffett and his philosophy.
Read each interview question below and be ready to answer.

Interview Questions

• There are 8 balls. 7 of them weigh the same. 1 of them has a different weight, (you don't know if it's heavier or lighter). How do you find the odd ball with 2 weighs?   2 Answers
  • Would you rather have a $10 Mill book of NWP with a 90% combined ratio or a $100Mill book of NWP with a 99% combined ratio?   1 Answer
  • You have a birthday cake and have exactly 3 slices to cut it into 8 equal pieces. How do you do it?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (Omaha, NE) in April 2015.

Interview

It was a phone interview and the lady who interviewed me asked why I wanted to work for Berkshire Hathaway and also asked me about my work history. Afterwards she said she would contact me within the next few weeks to follow up.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Berkshire Hathaway?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I went to a career fair on campus. I heard back a week later for an interview with them on campus. The interview was a bit strange. It didn't last the entire 30 minutes and he didn't seem interested. I was a bit disappointed at the attitude from the interviewer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (Atlanta, GA) in January 2011.

Interview

Asked a lot of logic question such as: What rate would you charge for a cabin at the bottom of a mountain when there is a 70% chance of a avalanche occurring overnight. Asked questions about probability, underwriting skills, financial knowledge, knowledge of the industry. Lasted about 2 hours and was somewhat intimidating. They expected you know know a lot about the ideals of Warren Buffet and his investing strategy. It seemed like the office setting would be very competitive and cutthroat. Overall did not catch a good vibe from the interview. The interviewer was somewhat pompous and direct. Not the easiest interview that I have ever had but as long as you can do logic and probabilities on the fly, then you should be good.

Interview Questions

• Would you rather have a $1Mill book of NWP with a 90% combined ratio or a $100Mill book of NWP with a 99% combined ratio?   2 Answers