Berry Family of Nurseries Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Berry Family of Nurseries

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Berry Family of Nurseries (Irving, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a request for a phone interview by phone a few days later. I'm usually wary of recruiters who call without warning to conduct a phone interview because it shows a lack of consideration for the candidate's availability. The recruiter wasn't calling to schedule a phone interview, she was calling to conduct it. I returned her call since she'd left a message and was expected to conduct the interview right then. During the interview, I discovered that she had only been with the company 5 days and was thus unable to answer any of my questions about the company in order for me to decide if I wanted to schedule an in-person interview. I decided to take a chance and go for the interview. I met with the newly appointed manager I'd be reporting to who also hadn't been with the company more than a couple of years and was new to the position. The interview was fairly straightforward and was a conversation rather than an intimidating or facade of an interview. I felt like he was mostly honest in answering my questions. I knew fairly early on that I wasn't interested in working there because the department is in a shambles with high turnover and an inexperienced manager plus the office was dreary and dingy with ratty looking cubicles with low walls and the employees seemed unfriendly or unhappy. I just got a very bad vibe as soon as I arrived. I also found out the position was being filled because the incumbent had given abrupt notice shortly after the manager was promoted. The reasons given for the incumbent's departure made me feel as if the real reason was being downplayed or I was being intentionally deceived. I was told that the manager wanted to schedule me for a 2nd interview with his boss and that someone would contact me to schedule that. I knew then that I wasn't going to return for a 2nd interview but decided to not mention it because I hadn't fully deciphered my exact reasons. I received a call from a woman a couple of days later who left a vague message with only her name, the company name and her number. I didn't know who she was or what her position was but only that she was a BFN employee. She left a message on both of my contact numbers but she also didn't utilize email. I returned her call and she presented me with an offer that was far below what I had given the initial HR recruiter as my salary range and was far below market rate for the job and my experience. I was so insulted by the offer that I was almost speechless...almost. I still didn't know what this woman's position with the company was but I assume she was in HR; I later verified via LinkedIn that she was in a senior position in HR. I told her that the offer was below my required salary as given during the phone interview and that I couldn't accept it. I think I shocked a pause into her because she began stammering. She said she would check with the manager to find out if he wanted to make a higher offer and get back with me. As an HR person, I would expect her to know what the salary range for the position was and inform me then if my requirements were over it but I expected too much I guess. The next thing I received was a form email about 2 days later from the newbie recruiter (they know how to use email after all!) I'd originally spoken to, thanking me for my time and notifying me that they decided to pursue other candidates! The email didn't even acknowledge that I'd been extended an offer, that I'd declined it or that there was supposed to be follow up to that. I didn't actually expect them to increase their original offer and I wouldn't have accepted even if they had but I didn't expect them to pretend as though an offer had never been made. I informed the recruiter of this and thus was reassured that I'd made the right decision by not wanting to work for this company. I'd advise anyone else considering it to stay away as I have advised others in my network.

Interview Questions

• It was a very conversational style interview and there were no difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

There is a general disorganization it seems and high turnover. The office was unpleasant, employees unfriendly with inexperienced management and the offered salary was lower than market and too low for the type of work the position required.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Berry Family of Nurseries (Memphis, TN) in February 2013.

Interview

Was called in and asked the typical interview questions. It wasn't hard at all and I was hired on the spot. I was given a lot of information about what the company is looking for and their core values. The interview was more about the company than me

Interview Questions