Bessemer Trust Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bessemer Trust Company Interview Questions

2.4

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

1-Over the phone with HR
    2-Meet first two members of the team
    3-Meet more senior members of the team
    4-Take Excel/Accounting test

Most people in the company have been there for a very, very long time (but that's not to be taken in a negative way in this case.)

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (Wilmington, DE) in April 2016.

Interview

I sent in my resume through the website and was contacted quickly to come in for an interview. They were very professional and clear on who I would be meeting with and how to dress. I met with four different people at the firm and was there for about two hours. Everyone was nice and welcoming.

Interview Questions

• They asked about the history of Bessemer Trust. I would suggest reading up on the family prior to your interview. I was also asked about specific skills required to do the job. It's a small office and they want to be sure they hire someone who will be the right fit for the team and the culture.   1 Answer

SummerClient Advisory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

It was an in person interview at their DC office. It consisted of 3 rounds where i was interviewed by a different 2 people each round. All the interviewers were friendly and seemed a little unsure as what to ask. By the end of the interview some questions were repeated. All questions were behavioral.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was mostly behavior and not really technical. The interview was interested what I want out of wealth management. I think the role has a long term implication since it is a small firm. Most people who work there in their mid-career. The interview process has multiple rounds with associate and vps.

Tax Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (Woodbridge, NJ) in February 2015.

Interview

Was pretty much a general experience. I applied via an internship website and was contacted by the interviewer a week later. Interview lasted about an hour. I did not receive the offer and was awaiting other offers. It took contact from me to find out that I wasn't selected. I figured i would have gotten some sort of response after my interview. If you have another deadline to answer definitely contact them, because you may not be notified of a no offer.

Interview Questions

• Personal questions: about you, hobbies, interests, what you contribute, career goals, strengths, weaknesses, availability, and describe a situation you faced adversity and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Associate Client Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company.

Interview

My interview process consisted of 3 separate interview sessions. The first was a typical screening call which had the usual questions (why Bessemer? why you? walk me though your resume). At the end of the interview I was asked to schedule the second one. The second was actually a set of three back to back interviews with the team I would be working with. Again, I was asked standard questions and had a lengthy opportunity to ask my own. I was contacted about two weeks later by email which said I was invited to the third round. The third round was a two day process that involved seven interviews, a test, and a presentation. I found it to be relatively unstressful compared to other companies in the field and the professionalism of the team to be in a league of its own.

Tax Ops Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (Woodbridge, NJ).

Interview

I interviewed for their Tax Ops role. There were two interviewers remotely different in personality type, however I still thought they were congenial. I didn't detect any bad energy or indifference for the most part. The process took about 30 minutes in which I was asked the standard interview questions that every employer utilize. Some of the questions were held in its Behavioral format and others were queries concerning my background. I assumed the interview went well based on my knowledge of the position as the position mirrors my background. But I guess not. I got the impression that they were looking for someone who looks like them and who also will want to spend their entire being with "them". Simply, they're seeking someone that prefers to retire there. So, when I was asked the repetitive interview question of, "where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?" my response didn't correlate with their vision. At the close of the interview, I was told by one of the interviewers that since Bessemer has a notorious HR process, I should expect feedback within a couple of weeks, and get this as one of the interviewers "quoted" so that I won't be waiting for long. I left optimistic hoping well maybe I will get this position since I know the work backwards, as I am currently performing the duties now with my current employer.

The next day, the HR Dept emailed me an automated message indicating that since there were other candidates that applied for the role, they will be pursuing those that they feel are a fit in other words. That is why it is best to not ever assume you have the position even though you think it went well. Sometimes, a person do, then there are other times when they don't. I assumed my background and how I articulated my background was a mere fit, but they didn't think so. In other words, there feedback was different from my own.

Reverting back to the HR automated "we don't want you" letter, it stated how they think other candidates are a better fit. Yeah right, there were no other candidates because the position went live again, yesterday.

Client Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (Palm Beach, FL) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied through Bessemer website and within 1 week received HR email requesting phone interview. Scheduled phone interview for 1 week later was supposed to be 30 minutes. The HR rep seemed rushed during the phone discussion and was unclear as to the job description when the phone interview is really supposed to be a pre-screening or vetting process. I did not have the opportunity to ask her any questions but was recommended for an in-person interview. It took much follow-up on my part to get the in-person interview scheduled because the HR department is really messed up. For such a high-end company the HR department is very immature and disorganized. I was given the names of the 3 people who would be interviewing me and HR got one of the titles for a very important executive incorrect which I discovered during my due diligence.

Interview day arrives, I'm thoroughly prepared:

Interviewer #1: calm demeanor, clearly had read through my resume and was familiar with it. Did not ask me many technical questions, it was more of a flowing conversation as to why I seek private wealth management. This interviewer was very professional and I could have been very happy working with and learning from her. I sensed that this interviewer valued intelligence, organization and a polished appearance and demeanor. I would have accepted the job to be able to work with her.

Interviewer #2: not good, I picked up on a multitude of negative energy! This person seemed utterly bored with the interview process, failed to maintain eye contact with me and just talked and talked about himself and other superfluous issues. I tactfully tried to reel him in and tie in my skills to the position but he kept going off-track so I just let him ramble on. He was like a shell of a person, a facade, a "Stepford husband"--I could not see myself working directly under this person. However, a professional associate of mine had told me that "Bessemer is the best" so being a bit star-struck, I just went with it. What I gathered from my interaction with this person (I hesitate to say interviewer) is that Bessemer takes a really long time to hire people and that once hired, people stay until they retire. I believe that speaks well for Bessemer; however, it is also a concern for growing within the company and/or promotions from within. I understood that this person's job would be my next step up and he made it clear he was there to stay. He is very insecure--was it because I have more degrees from better schools than him or is he just insecurely territorial? I have no clear answer except that my intuition said "dead-end job" and it would take a lot of money to make me deal with this dud everyday. Like a really bad blind date.

Interviewer #3: gold star interviewer! I immediately felt a welcoming warmth from this person. He was genuinely interested in my skills, my personality and really explained the job description to me. He and I really clicked and he was able to purge the negativity of interviewer #2. Like interviewer #1, the interaction was a free-flowing conversation but a bit more informal. On this interviewer alone, I would have accepted an offer just to have the experience of working with this brilliant and charismatic person.

Post Interview: remember to send out your thank you letters the same day. I followed up with HR a week later first to express my continued interest and to make sure that my file wasn't lost due to the high-schoolish procedures in the HR department. The HR rep (same as the one who scheduled the phone interview) was very snotty and harried. She said they do not work on a hiring timeline of any kind and that "she'll be in touch". I asked if I might follow up with her in 4-6 weeks or if she'd prefer I wait to hear from her. She very tersely said "I'll call you" and hung up the phone. I will say that I was shocked at that abandonment of any humanity here, much less professionalism. My intuition said this is not the place for me, especially when the front lines which form a candidate's first impression behave in such a substandard manner.

I really thought that I'd be invited back for round 2 but that was not the case. I received an email 2 days later from HR stating as follows: "We were fortunate to have many qualified candidates apply to this position. We have reviewed the qualifications of each candidate and after careful consideration we have determined that the credentials of other candidates may better meet our needs at this time."

I'm at peace with no longer being considered. I've learned to pay attention to red flags and they were flying high from the onset. I reflected and realized that a job in which I'd be suppressing my personality, walking on eggshells, being subjugated by interviewer #2 as my supervisor and chained to a desk is not a worthwhile professional opportunity no matter how high the salary. Do still regard Bessemer as the best? Regretfully, no.

Interview Questions

• None really, just a conversational format. Still, be prepared with the STAR format so you can clearly communicate your skills.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

A recruiting company contacted me about setting up an interview with Bessemer. Had an interview with 2 people followed by another interview with 2 more managers. They asked simple questions, mostly about my resume and fit/behavioral and some about what I knew about the position and company.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I was contacted through the phone and given the opportunity to have an interview in their LA office. It was very behavioral and I spoke with about 3 members of the client advisory group and spoke with the senior CA.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in private wealth management, as opposed to companies like MS?   Answer Question