Bessemer Trust Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Bessemer Trust Company Interview Questions

2.6

Fiduciary Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online and received a call from HR to set up an initial phone interview with hiring manager. later HR called to invite me for an on site interview with the hiring manager and one staff member. I got on a 3 hour train and arrived on time. Both interviews went well...the ladies were nice and professional. Each spent a lot of time asking about my current position with their strongest competitor. I got the feeling that they were intimidated by my qualification, skill set and title at my current job. The position obviously wanted a more junior level, even though the position description expected more....

Interview Questions

• None...they asked about my salary expectation. I told them I wanted to know about the job first and would discuss salary only if an offer was made.   Answer Question

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (Woodbridge, NJ) in July 2013.

Interview

I was scheduled to have a technical interview for a high level network position in IT, the interview lasted roughly 10 minutes, not a single technical question was asked. I got the impression that the interviewer was told against his will to "Do this interview." When I got off the phone I was quite bewildered as I never experienced an interview (or lack thereof) like this previously.

Interview Questions

• Only one question was asked for a task that would have been highly unusual for this type of position "How do you feel about performing desktop support?" To which I responded, its not something I've done but I have no problems doing so.   Answer Question

Tax Ops Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (Woodbridge, NJ).

Interview

I interviewed for their Tax Ops role. There were two interviewers remotely different in personality type, however I still thought they were congenial. I didn't detect any bad energy or indifference for the most part. The process took about 30 minutes in which I was asked the standard interview questions that every employer utilize. Some of the questions were held in its Behavioral format and others were queries concerning my background. I assumed the interview went well based on my knowledge of the position as the position mirrors my background. But I guess not. I got the impression that they were looking for someone who looks like them and who also will want to spend their entire being with "them". Simply, they're seeking someone that prefers to retire there. So, when I was asked the repetitive interview question of, "where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?" my response didn't correlate with their vision. At the close of the interview, I was told by one of the interviewers that since Bessemer has a notorious HR process, I should expect feedback within a couple of weeks, and get this as one of the interviewers "quoted" so that I won't be waiting for long. I left optimistic hoping well maybe I will get this position since I know the work backwards, as I am currently performing the duties now with my current employer.

The next day, the HR Dept emailed me an automated message indicating that since there were other candidates that applied for the role, they will be pursuing those that they feel are a fit in other words. That is why it is best to not ever assume you have the position even though you think it went well. Sometimes, a person do, then there are other times when they don't. I assumed my background and how I articulated my background was a mere fit, but they didn't think so. In other words, there feedback was different from my own.

Reverting back to the HR automated "we don't want you" letter, it stated how they think other candidates are a better fit. Yeah right, there were no other candidates because the position went live again, yesterday.

Assistant Client Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (West Palm Beach, FL) in November 2012.

Interview

Initial phone interview then on campus interview. The interviewer seemed inexperienced or immature in respect to guaging talent. She informed the recruiter that my skills and experience were a fit for the position but she decided not to recommend me for an in-person interview. Her reasoning was that I tried to take over the phone interview by asking questions at the end of our discussion.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected or difficult questions during the phone interview. It was mostly a discussion of experience and how it fits to the position.   Answer Question

Client Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (Palm Beach, FL) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied through Bessemer website and within 1 week received HR email requesting phone interview. Scheduled phone interview for 1 week later was supposed to be 30 minutes. The HR rep seemed rushed during the phone discussion and was unclear as to the job description when the phone interview is really supposed to be a pre-screening or vetting process. I did not have the opportunity to ask her any questions but was recommended for an in-person interview. It took much follow-up on my part to get the in-person interview scheduled because the HR department is really messed up. For such a high-end company the HR department is very immature and disorganized. I was given the names of the 3 people who would be interviewing me and HR got one of the titles for a very important executive incorrect which I discovered during my due diligence.

Interview day arrives, I'm thoroughly prepared:

Interviewer #1: calm demeanor, clearly had read through my resume and was familiar with it. Did not ask me many technical questions, it was more of a flowing conversation as to why I seek private wealth management. This interviewer was very professional and I could have been very happy working with and learning from her. I sensed that this interviewer valued intelligence, organization and a polished appearance and demeanor. I would have accepted the job to be able to work with her.

Interviewer #2: not good, I picked up on a multitude of negative energy! This person seemed utterly bored with the interview process, failed to maintain eye contact with me and just talked and talked about himself and other superfluous issues. I tactfully tried to reel him in and tie in my skills to the position but he kept going off-track so I just let him ramble on. He was like a shell of a person, a facade, a "Stepford husband"--I could not see myself working directly under this person. However, a professional associate of mine had told me that "Bessemer is the best" so being a bit star-struck, I just went with it. What I gathered from my interaction with this person (I hesitate to say interviewer) is that Bessemer takes a really long time to hire people and that once hired, people stay until they retire. I believe that speaks well for Bessemer; however, it is also a concern for growing within the company and/or promotions from within. I understood that this person's job would be my next step up and he made it clear he was there to stay. He is very insecure--was it because I have more degrees from better schools than him or is he just insecurely territorial? I have no clear answer except that my intuition said "dead-end job" and it would take a lot of money to make me deal with this dud everyday. Like a really bad blind date.

Interviewer #3: gold star interviewer! I immediately felt a welcoming warmth from this person. He was genuinely interested in my skills, my personality and really explained the job description to me. He and I really clicked and he was able to purge the negativity of interviewer #2. Like interviewer #1, the interaction was a free-flowing conversation but a bit more informal. On this interviewer alone, I would have accepted an offer just to have the experience of working with this brilliant and charismatic person.

Post Interview: remember to send out your thank you letters the same day. I followed up with HR a week later first to express my continued interest and to make sure that my file wasn't lost due to the high-schoolish procedures in the HR department. The HR rep (same as the one who scheduled the phone interview) was very snotty and harried. She said they do not work on a hiring timeline of any kind and that "she'll be in touch". I asked if I might follow up with her in 4-6 weeks or if she'd prefer I wait to hear from her. She very tersely said "I'll call you" and hung up the phone. I will say that I was shocked at that abandonment of any humanity here, much less professionalism. My intuition said this is not the place for me, especially when the front lines which form a candidate's first impression behave in such a substandard manner.

I really thought that I'd be invited back for round 2 but that was not the case. I received an email 2 days later from HR stating as follows: "We were fortunate to have many qualified candidates apply to this position. We have reviewed the qualifications of each candidate and after careful consideration we have determined that the credentials of other candidates may better meet our needs at this time."

I'm at peace with no longer being considered. I've learned to pay attention to red flags and they were flying high from the onset. I reflected and realized that a job in which I'd be suppressing my personality, walking on eggshells, being subjugated by interviewer #2 as my supervisor and chained to a desk is not a worthwhile professional opportunity no matter how high the salary. Do still regard Bessemer as the best? Regretfully, no.

Interview Questions

• None really, just a conversational format. Still, be prepared with the STAR format so you can clearly communicate your skills.   Answer Question

Associate Client Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company.

Interview

My interview process consisted of 3 separate interview sessions. The first was a typical screening call which had the usual questions (why Bessemer? why you? walk me though your resume). At the end of the interview I was asked to schedule the second one. The second was actually a set of three back to back interviews with the team I would be working with. Again, I was asked standard questions and had a lengthy opportunity to ask my own. I was contacted about two weeks later by email which said I was invited to the third round. The third round was a two day process that involved seven interviews, a test, and a presentation. I found it to be relatively unstressful compared to other companies in the field and the professionalism of the team to be in a league of its own.

Client Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company.

Interview

I skipped the phone interview and went straight to Skype interview session with 6 people from the office who were all very nice. They cared a lot about resume and whether or not you wanted the job. They didn't ask any technical question, but some behavior mostly about customer service roles in the past.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (Woodbridge, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone , in person with junior and senior HR, in person manager and senior team member. Basic interview. They were nice enough to have the interview in New York, closer to my previous job, instead of Woodbridge.

Interview Questions

• What would your current boss say if he was in the room now?
      How did you handle a difficult situation?
      Why Bessemer?
      Answer Question

SummerClient Advisory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

It was an in person interview at their DC office. It consisted of 3 rounds where i was interviewed by a different 2 people each round. All the interviewers were friendly and seemed a little unsure as what to ask. By the end of the interview some questions were repeated. All questions were behavioral.

Tax Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Bessemer Trust Company in August 2009.

Interview

The interview was a very basic interview. No tough questions and no knowledge of prior experience is required. There are 2 sets of interviews, both of which are fairly easy. There were only your basic, standard questions. The people and the culture is what I would consider one of the best in the industry.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you were required to work in a group setting and describe some conflicts, if any.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation