Best Buy Computer Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Best Buy Computer Specialist Interview Questions

Interviews at Best Buy

2.3

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Best Buy (Bloomington, IN) in May 2012.

Interview

I did a preliminary application online on the best buy website. This was easy and very fast. It consisted of my personal information, selecting available jobs (this feature worked surprisingly well!)

The next morning someone from the store called me to schedule an interview.

The preliminary interview was with a sales supervisor, and is more basic questions about work experience, why you want the job, etc.

Next was a 2nd interview with the general manager. This gets a little more in depth but basically he was just checking to make sure I could communicate and understood how to sell computers.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a problem you had to overcome as a team in your last job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The application had a space to write in an "expected salary" I put in a slightly higher amount than their normal starting pay because I have some experience in this type of work.

Other Interview Reviews for Best Buy

Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Best Buy (Manassas, VA) in July 2010.

Interview

I applied online, which consisted of basic application questions and a personality test, and then came in to introduce myself to a supervisor. He gave me an interview the next day along with the outgoing supervisor (at the time) and asked various questions about my experience, personality, what sets me apart, and why I wanted the job. After completing that interview, I was given an interview with a manager who asked me about employee theft and then offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• How should employee theft be treated?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The salary is already competitive so I didn't really try to negotiate but Best Buy is definitely open to negotiation. Be honest with them and they will help you out.

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Best Buy (Tempe, AZ) in August 2009.

Interview

applied online and received a call the next day came in and interviewed 1 time. the next day i was called and had a final interview with the store manager and was offered the position

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a customer complaint   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiate on an hourly retail sales position? haha how bad do you want a job?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portage, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Best Buy (Portage, MI) in July 2012.

Interview

I had two interviews one with area manager and the store manager. General questions asked nothing unusual.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw someone steal?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Best Buy (New York, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

First there is the Over the phone interview very simple, then Supervisor/Manager interview. trying to figure out your personality make sure you have good work ethics and such. And then the GM interview make sure you can profit the store and you aren't gonna be a thief or something.

Interview Questions

• I had a lot of preparation so the interview wasn't so hard but one question I remember was.
      Why you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Simple depending on your experience and your role.

Anonymous Employee in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Best Buy (Paramus, NJ) in March 2013.

Interview

I applied online the other day I am due for my first interview this Friday. Okay so I went to the interview today I think I answered all the questions well and I interacted but I think they could Tell I was kind of nervous and she said she would give me a call by tomorrow so I am waiting on the call. They called me today to come in for a few minutes to get some papers so now I have to take a drug test but that is all.. got the job they said I did well.. Although I originally applied for Geek Squad they told me everyone starts on the floor. Everyone was nice I took the drug test I am still waiting for them to give me a call back. I finally start the job this weekend.. we'll see how it goes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I originally applied for Geek Squad agent but as I stated above they said everyone starts at the floor I took the position of Computer Specialist for 9.50/hr starting.

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Best Buy (Springfield, OR) in May 2010.

Interview

3 face to face interviews with hiring team and then store manager.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too unexpected but probably "Just describe a time when you were put in a difficult situation and what did you do to overcome it"   Answer Question

Negotiation

Then told me what I would start out making, not too much negotiation.

Computer Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Best Buy in March 2010.

Interview

After applying online and taking that tedious personality assessment, I was first contacted with a phone interview which took about 5 minutes. Simple questions such as: Why do you want to work for Best Buy? What is your availability? etc. afterwards they scheduled my first interview which was 3 days later with the 2 managers. The interview was approximately 25 minutes of scenario questions which they read from an interview guide. My best advice here is to be as specific and detailed as possible and tie it in to past experience that is similar. They are required to take notes while you talk so don't be alarmed, just answer confidently and you'll be fine. After the interview was over the manager told me that I will be contacted to schedule my final interview with the GM, he said if i nail that one i got the job just be myself and i should do fine.

I got a call the next day to schedule my interview with the GM, it was shorter than the previous interview with similar scenario questions but fewer. The trick to this interview is to nail the question on shrink which is very important to the company since it's an ongoing problem which is impossible to fix completely but can be controlled if employees take the right precautions. Basically it'll be a question like "what would you do if you saw another employee steal something?" or "if you were the manager and an employee stole an item what punishment should the employee receive?" you basically have to convey the message that stealing shouldn't be tolerated no matter what in your response. After i nailed that question and answered the scenario questions satisfactorily i was made a job offer but it was contingent upon passing a criminal background check and drug screen which took about a week for them to get the results. Then i got a call for orientation which was just watching a bunch of best buy videos for 5 hours and introductions. The training was just e-learnings and shadowing employees for 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were the same just scenarios questions which i thoroughly prepared for beforehand, but if i would have to choose 1 since i hate to talk about myself and didn't know what kind of answer they were looking for i would have to say "What do you feel are your strengths and weaknesses?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

They are open for negotiation since i managed to get an extra quarter per hour but i felt i should have put more when they asked the application how much are you looking to make. My advice to anyone is to try and squeeze as much as possible out of the negotation because the annual appraisal raises are horrible.

Computer Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Best Buy.

Interview

Initial application online consists on lifestyle questions and scenarios. Once you pass they call you for an interview. You have 3 interviews for your position, 1. Phone interview, 2. Manager interview, 3. GM interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not any negotiation process, next step was drug test.

Computer Specialist Interview

Interview

Hiring process was long but easy. Required a drug test which took about a month for official confirmation. Took 3 interviews and on the last interview you speak with the general manager of the store. The last interview is when you find out how much the general manager is willing to pay you.

Interview Questions

• Which department would you like to work in. If we didn't have that department available which other 2 departments would you be wiling to work in.   Answer Question